The B&B Musicians/Producers/DJs Thread
  • What I and others tend to do is just tape straight out the back into a decent soundcard and your DAW of choice, then you do all your songcraft up in there.
  • Might buy myself a Metasonix D-1000 one year, but I'd like to hook it to a V-Drum kit to trigger.
  • Yeah, that's the thing i'll be eyeing up next, along with some Midi interface stuff.

Need to be fully sussed before I go to Uni so i'm saving up around £800 over the coming year to get one of those Lenovo Ultrabook (or whatever next years equivalent is) so I can truly become a bedroom producer* or some shit.

*genuinely just want to fuck around with noise.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    One of my mates who made techno used to have a Korg's Electribe I think. Its that blue one with no keys right? Just buttons? They are pretty damn tasty but i don't like synths with no keys for some reason.
    That's the one, yeah. I saw a great demo on youtube that made me fall in love with one. @Brooks: good stuff, I thought that would be the thing. Building a shopping list for all these apps that I want, need to learn how to actually use the damn things too. I have Bleepbox on my iPhone but I'll be damned if I actually understand how to build a song, yet its demo functions suggest it can produce full fat floor filla
    I've not used the Electribe (hardware/software) and was tempted to get the iPad one. Its relatively high price put me off (along with a few other reasons I can't remember). iOS version is supposed to be pretty good but may lack the flexibility of other apps. Really depends what you're looking for!

If you want an all-in-one traditional sequencer style app, then Nanostudio is great, as is GarageBand, BeatMaker 2 & Genome (although Genome is purely a midi sequencer to control other iPad audio apps). 

As for other music apps, I'd recommend DM1 (an excellent drum machine), iMS-20 (Korg's virtual analogue synth/sequencer beast), Rhythm (if you fancy some basic/traditional 303, 808, 909 style action), Animoog (fantastic synth), Sunrizer (JP8000 style synth), and a few other synths like Cassini, Addictive Synth and Magellan.

Edit: I also like CS Grain which is great for running a guitar through and mangling the sound.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I still want a Maschine. Native Instruments just went and announced a new one too...

• They'll never not look weak on stage.
  • Brooks wrote:
    They'll never not look weak on stage.

How do you mean 'weak' ? Physically flimsy or not cool?
  • The latter. There's no goddamn theatre in prodding buttons on a box.

And no, Araabmuzik clips are not converting.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    The latter. There's no goddamn theatre in prodding buttons on a box. And no, Araabmuzik clips are not converting.
    Beats the average laptop musician setup though. 

I think this vid sells Maschine better – the man has fast fingers. Certainly more theatre than the clicking of a mouse.

• Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I'm thinking about it more in terms of production than for live stuff anyhoo. It's all about the workflow with Maschine.
  • Vastik that list is brilliant. I will look into all of them.

Did you know Native Instruments do an iMaschine? Little £3 app for phone/pad. Has a great video on music radar where Jamie Lidell builds a track on it and then hops off to his home studio (in his MASSIVE HOUSE) to upload it to his computer. It's only meant for sketches but it seems pretty competent.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Vastik that list is brilliant. I will look into all of them. Did you know Native Instruments do an iMaschine? Little £3 app for phone/pad. Has a great video on music radar where Jamie Lidell builds a track on it and then hops off to his home studio (in his MASSIVE HOUSE) to upload it to his computer. It's only meant for sketches but it seems pretty competent.
    Yeah, i've got it. Basic but fun and the Maschine integration is nice. 

There are some similar apps out there worth a punt too, such as iKaossilator, triqtraq and Figure. Good phone-based looping fun.
  • I need to sit down with a decent tutorial because they are mistifying to me really. Lidell makes it look easy.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I need to sit down with a decent tutorial because they are mistifying to me really. Lidell makes it look easy.
    For something like iMaschine, youtube comes to the rescue!

http://www.youtube.com/user/NativeInstruments/videos?query=imaschine
  • Brooks wrote:
    The latter. There's no goddamn theatre in prodding buttons on a box. And no, Araabmuzik clips are not converting.

Its closer to DJing than performing on an instrument and compared to digital DJing at least, is probably more entertaining to watch. But yeah i know what you mean, i'm not a big fan of this kind of stuff as a performance. As has been said its very good for a studio set up - can be very frustrating being stuck so rigidly "inside" your computer when making electronic music, i imagine you can really break out of that frustration with this kind of stuff.
  • I've never especially struggled without an external trigger device during bouts of studio pottering, but I'm not everyone.

Though actually even then, I've used DAWs that have some propensity for emulating the physical layout of old drum machines and whathaveye (Fruity, Reason etc.)

Now I'm only interested in the sounds those devices produce but they have to have come about by some, if fairly imaginary general scheme that includes the possibility of live and indeed animated performance. A conceit in 2K12 but a personally vital one. Is why I went back to guitars despite having slim to no interest in making rawk music - whatever else axes are still for, they remain aesthetically - tactility, cosmetics - pleasing triggers.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I've never especially struggled without an external trigger device during bouts of studio pottering, but I'm not everyone. Though actually even then, I've used DAWs that have some propensity for emulating the physical layout of old drum machines and whathaveye (Fruity, Reason etc.) Now I'm only interested in the sounds those devices produce but they have to have come about by some, if fairly imaginary general scheme that includes the possibility of live and indeed animated performance. A conceit in 2K12 but a personally vital one. Is why I went back to guitars despite having slim to no interest in making rawk music - whatever else axes are still for, they remain aesthetically - tactility, cosmetics - pleasing triggers.
    Yeah, I get that. I'm fine noodling with a mouse, and my iPad gives me extra interface options but I do still like the idea of Maschine and it's hardware/software combo as it looks like it makes jamming out ideas easier and perhaps more fun. Live is a secondary concern for me though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dolphin keep sending me ads for Maschines. The name puts me off. Moschino-wearing, Calvin Harris-listening meeting men. No.

They do look super for something games-related, though.
  • Maschine is worthwhile if only for challenging the grip Akai's had on the scene for too damn long.
  • iMaschine is super bare bones and I don't really know what I'm doing but it is fun, which is what matters most. Saw some folk on YouTube doing full songs on it, seemed smart but you need to load your pads individually and it's too late to be soon that so I just fucked around and made 4 things in an hour or two, inboard mixer lets them sound like songs but I've no idea how to record that internally, probably needs exporting. Heck, more fun than a pint and the same price.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    iMaschine is super bare bones and I don't really know what I'm doing but it is fun, which is what matters most. Saw some folk on YouTube doing full songs on it, seemed smart but you need to load your pads individually and it's too late to be soon that so I just fucked around and made 4 things in an hour or two, inboard mixer lets them sound like songs but I've no idea how to record that internally, probably needs exporting. Heck, more fun than a pint and the same price.
    Tap the top left button on the screen, it takes you to a menu that allows you to export to Soundcloud (or Maschine).
  • Yes, I've done that and it's really easy. I meant recording a full song, so far it only exports the full sample
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Yes, I've done that and it's really easy. I meant recording a full song, so far it only exports the full sample
    Ah, well at that point you've gone beyond what I've tried in it!
  • In regards to the button pushing thing, it always occurred to me that people are mostly looking at the actual person performing not their equipment, unless they're nerding out. It doesn't matter what you're playing as long as you are passionate about it, that's what's going to come across.

Also, booze/drugs are a factor.

I guess someone with a laptop has the potential to be a lot more dull if they have a boring presence but guitarists have bored me to tears on numerous occasions too. Even if someone is doing some incredibly impressive playing I don't tend to just stare at their instrument the entire time.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • There's definitely a species of guitaring that doesn't belong outside records either, no doubt.
  • If the music is good and the performer is really feeling it and getting into it i'll enjoy it. I'm not too fussed what they're using.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I was in a punk band way back in the mists of time. Just met the vocalist for the first time in years. Apparently our guitarist's current band just played Reading and Leeds.

FFS.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Re drumz

Buy Goldbaby's 808 or 909 sample pack, stick it in a drumrack in Abelton and buy a cheap Akai pad thing. I have this Korg thing. I don't need it, but it's a fun toy, although I sometimes get interesting snare patterns that I wouldn't normally have gotten by just drawing them in.

korg_padkontrol_small_angle.jpg
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!