Looking back at the Wii U, and favourite game vote.
‹ Previous1234567
  • The Wii U might be my most favourite home console ever. I even love the gamepad. The end is nigh though, bless it, and apart from a new Zelda (basically an NX title anyway) there's nothing much else to look forward to. 

Here are things that pleased me;

Backwards compatibility and control options

It played all your Wii games out of the box because rather brilliantly it had full Wiimote support, including sensor bar, that could also be used for Wii U multiplayer games. The fact that the Wiimote was also designed like a NES controller means playing old Virtual Console games is a joy. SNES games are authentic on the Classic Controller you already owned for the Wii, and perhaps best of all the is Pro Controller. I fucking love that thing and the battery lasts forever. The much maligned Wii U Gamepad is perfect for GBA games and the ergonomics and design make it comfortable to hold vertically for NDS games.

The Gamepad

Underutilised perhaps, not least by Nintendo themselves, but it gave you gameplay that isn't possible on any other console. Mario Maker is probably the thing that most springs to mind but the multiplayer stuff could be wonderful. Nintendo Land is an absolute hoot, and there's also Mario Party and WiiU Party for more asymmetric goodness. It benefited plenty of titles to have a map you could glance down to, and the map implementation in Splatoon is great, as are the motion controls for aiming. ZombiU used it well, as did Super Mario Bros U to add platforms and it made inventory handling easy in countless games without the need to navigate menus.

It was also just handy to play stuff on when the TV is getting hogged by the rest of the family or watch something on Netflix. Even general internet browsing wasn't the mess it is on other consoles. Special mention goes to Art Academy which made a talentless guy like me do stuff like this.

The games

It didn't have great third party support, but there are some stellar games from the few that did. It doesn't matter though because this is Nintendo at the top of their game. No Metroid or a new Galaxy, not even a brand new Zelda, but there's plenty else that you can only play on the Wii U and that's what makes it special. 

It's fair to say I'm playing many games to completion, which I'd never do on another console. The boy and I are currently trying to get all Stars, stamps and gold flags on SM3DW to see the final world. I'm still trying for gold medals on all Pikmin challenges and I've got to get everything on Woolly World and Toad Tracker. Only Nintendo games make me do this - I'll be lucky to get halfway through most Xbox games.

Now speaking of games how about a vote of top five? First place gets 5 points down to Fifth place that gets 1 point. Voting ends at the end of the month. Probably.

1 Super Mario 3D World

2 Mario Maker

3 Splatoon

4 Pikmin 3

5 Bayonetta 2

Honourable mentions go to Nintendo Land, Mario Kart 8, New Mario Bros U and Super Smash Bros.
  • Didn't play it that much. Kirkby I guess.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Most of my games for this are still sealed.  It just didn't do it for me.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've still got a lot to play on this, including Wii stuff. Its a great little console and i've mostly been pleased with it. I really like the gamepad too.

The games are top notch, and Nintendo got very good at delivering lovely looking HD graphics relatively quickly. I still think the visuals/art direction of WW, Mario 3DW and Mario Kart 8 surpass most things i've seen on PS4.
  • I've largely had no interest in the WiiU, except occasionally when I see the love it gets in some parts. I've never been satisfied that I'd give it enough attention to warrant parting with the money; I can't get through everything on the one console I've got, despite having more time to play than many.
  • Nice write up, I've certainly had my monies worth from it.

Like you there's something about Nintendo games that makes me want to 100% them. I literally just this minute finished 5-S on Woolly World, only one World left now. The Wii U game clock shows that game at over 20hrs now, that's longer than I've spent on any single Assassins Creed.

I only have Champion Road left on 3D World and there's various games I've already got 100% completion. Nintendo has a way of making a completist out of me, they put trophies/achievements to shame for me and I've done my far share of Platinum hunting over the years.

So top 5:
    1. Mario Kart 8
    Along with 7 this is the best MK, took me back to SNES/N64 levels of fun.

2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    The best DK ever, a joy in multiplayer with @Moot_Geeza

3. New Super Mario Bros. U
    DK pips this for the simple reason this is great but isn't the best 2D Mario. The 'New' branding was a bad choice but see past that and you realise just how superior this is to the rest of that series. Should have made it New Super Mario World and dressed it up accordingly.

4. Super Mario 3D World
    Another great 3D platformer which possibly has the easiest start and toughest end which makes it the perfect Mario games in many ways. To me it felt an ever so slightly step back from the sublime Galaxy but that games pretty perfect. Unlike the two games above I did this one solo, maybe I missed the best of the game that way?

5. Hyrule Warriors
    Probably a bit controversial this but I'm a massive Zelda fan and the fan service in this is incredible. Again like DK and NSMBU I played this in co-op. Couch co-op is a big deal to me, was an absolute blast.

Honourable mentions
    Super Mario Maker
    A perfect game in many ways but I'm shit at making levels and guess what? So are about 99% of us, so most of what I played just made me realise how amazing Nintendo's level design is.

Zombi U
    By far the best use of the Gamepad, showed glimpses of what could have been. True survival horror to, puts modern Resi's to shame in that respect. The fact it was in ye old London didn't hurt.

Bayonetta 2
    Still amazing but still something I don't quite enjoy as much as others/I Should.

Zelda HDs
    Remakes so don't qualify imo

Splatoon
    Nintendo making FPS their own. Stay Fresh!

Yoshi's Woolly World
    On another day this would have beat out Hyrule Warriors. In a way that shows a bit of an issue. Three platformers in my top 5 with another knocking at the door? If XBox was the FPS console then the Wii U suffers the same problem, a lack of a diverse library.

There's a few eshop games I enjoyed and I've still yet to complete Captain Toad and Star Fox although from what I've played neither will trouble my top 5.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Looking back I don't feel as though the Wii U was a console Nintendo necessarily wanted to make, instead made out of a need to keep in the home console market.

When the Wii launched it was radical but Nintendo had huge confidence in it's USP. Wii Sports was a perfect game to utilise motion control and Nintendo were confident, with a straight forward message. Once the public saw it in action they got it, even non-gamers understood exactly what this was. Nintendo continued to support the USP right up to the end of the console's life and while games sometimes had the option to not use motion controls it was always the primary input method.

Fast forward to the Wii U launch. The only title that felt unplayable in any other way was the asymmetric MP of Nintendoland. Other titles would utilise the second screen for extras but nothing was ever as defining as Wii Sports.
    The message was skewed. Was it a Wii? What controllers work with what? Which SKU is best?
    Nintendo struggled to answer these questions and more with any kind of authority.

The impression I get is that Nintendo would have rather carried on with the Wii until today but it was dead. Instead they needed a home platform to stay competitive and be a vehicle for the games they felt they couldn't achieve on 3DS. Not wanting to get in an arms race they looked for a USP as to set the console aside from the hardware people already had. They looked at the DS and decided to do the dual screen thing.

I don't believe the conversation started with "We should do dualscreens at home".

That being said I think Nintendo tried to get on board as much as they could with what they had designed. Mario Maker being the stand out title for utilisation of the screen and of course the off screen play went from an additional feature to a reason to own a Wii U for many.

Personally I really liked the console, other than the crap battery in the controller it was a decent bit of kit, nice and simple dash and vastly improved, although still far from perfect, online features.
    Having Nintendo games finally in full HD was fantastic and they really do look great. As it stands I dont believe Nintendo need anything more powerful than this to do what they want to do.
    My major gripe was that I don't believe Nintendo diversified enough on the types of games they released for the console. It was very Mario heavy, which is to be somewhat expected from a Nintendo console but this time it felt even more so. Similarly with 2D platformers, Nintendo or second parties put out (off the top of my head) five or six 2D platformers in the Wii U's short lifespan. In contrast we had one 3D platformer in SM3DW.

I certainly don't regret buying the console, I really like it but the games are limited which has shortened it's lifespan, which limits the games and so on.

Top five games is tough, the top 3 are easy then Im making up numbers really. First one is HD remake but it is one of my favourite games ever.

1. Zelda WW
    2. Mario Kart 8
    3. Mario Maker
    4. SM3DW
    5. Smash Bros
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Most of my games for this are still sealed.  It just didn't do it for me.
     Lol, this, kinda.  Clearly my winning console in terms of PoS height : games played ratio.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looking back? You mean that this was released?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Looking back? You mean that this was released?
    Only in Gibraltar.
  • I don't think there have been many truly great games on it. Certainly not, for me, as past Ninty consoles. The Wii was always going to be a hard act to follow, it gave me my top 3 games of all time in Skyward Sword and the two Mario Galaxies. 

I'd say my top 5 would be as follows:

1. Bayonetta 2. Can't make my mind up whether I prefer it to the original, but it and its predecessor are the best in the genre, easily.

2. Mario Kart 8. I prefer 7 on the 3DS but 8 is close. Such a great game, handles so well and great tracks. I think the fire hopping ruins it a bit, by at least we got some great DLC. 

3. Mario 3D World. Not amazing, doesn't truly get going until really late in the game but this is typically charming Mario title. I prefer the 64 and Galaxy style ones though.

4. Mario Maker. Haven't made any levels myself! But playing others' is brilliant. Forum competition was short lived but great, would do it again. 

5. Yoshi Wolly World. Played only first 2 worlds but what I played was utterly great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Thinking about it I should attempt to play a few more games on this before giving it the ol yeller treatment.

It is tough though as the games are still so expensive, too much to gamble on really. Especially when Shit game pad controls can wipe them out.
  • I suspect Zelda will take top spot for me once that's out and I've played it. It's looking great indeed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Would still like to play Bayonetta 2. Probably would've enjoyed Mario Maker when everyone was on it. That's about it.
  • mario kart but never took to the wiiu
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I suspect Zelda will take top spot for me once that's out and I've played it. It's looking great indeed.
    Same.
    Losing myself in a magical Nintendo adventure is one of life's joys.
    Unfortunately I don't feel that is something they have embraced on WiiU.
  • 1. Mario 3D World

Said I preferred it to Galaxy 1 and 2 when I finished it, haven't changed my mind.  The '2.5d' Mario titles hit a sweet spot for me - this is the best Mario game where you directly control Mario of all time.  It also works perfectly in four player, apparently, which blows my mind.  

2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Unlike most couch co-op games the second player doesn't feel like an afterthought - one or two levels aside, this is better in two player.  Minecarts minecarts minecarts. Some of the bosses could be better, which is often true of even the best Nintendo games, but this was an outright [9] for me and along with Super Meat Boy, probably the best side scrolling platformer since the mid 90s.

3. Mario Kart 8

Nudges Super Circuit out the way as my favourite Kart entry.  Tonnes of fun and an excellent TT game.  Great value top quality dlc too. 

4. Captain Toad

An unexpected delight.  It's a simple, lovely thing - I have Monkey Ball levels of 'perfect execution' memories of this. 

5. Nintendoland

Purely for Mario Chase, the rest of the mini games are somewhere between playable and laughable imo.  I would put Bayonetta 2 here, as it was excellent, but MC is about as good as same room multiplayer sessions have got in many years, so I can't leave it out.
  • 1) Mario Kart 8
    2) Bayonetta 2
    3) Mario 3D World
    4) Mario Maker
    5) Splatoon/Captain Toad (sorry, can't decide)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1) Splatoon and you're a fool if you don't.
    2) Mario Maker - I still stick this on at least once a week and just Pootle about in it.
    3) Mario 3D World. Guys I have EVERY stamp which means I cleared it with every character. Just perfect. Me and Mrs reg still regularly go and fire up some levels to mess around in
    4) Smash Bros - bought every bit of dlc and i again still play regularly. Perfect and fun and chaotic.
    5) hyrule Warriors - best dynasty warriors game ever. PURSUE GANONDORF

Mrs reg would pick Mario Kart, and Bayonetta is knocking at the door but I'll go with those
  • What, no love for Pikmin 3? The DLC missions are absolutely amazing. I'm still working on Platinum medals and I'm a million hours in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Loved Pikmin 3 but the last mission leaves a Sour taste in the mouth. The "Christmas nights" version of Pikmin 3 is ace.

Also best rendered fruit ever. But I'd say top tier Nintendo stuff on this console is among their best output ever (that's how highly I think of Splatoon) so it's tough competition.
  • I'm gonna get Splatoon this week. Fuck it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LIVEEEEE
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    See ya on there
  • Done.
    £26 off Amazon so should have it Tuesday.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I plan on buying a WiiU at some point, mainly to fuck about on Mario Maker. When they're dirt cheap I'll bite. Elliot will like playing the Lego games on the pad too.
  • Done.
    £26 off Amazon so should have it Tuesday.

I'll be on. Stick with gyro controls from the getgo, although you might want to lower the sensitivity a bit. Splatoon is majestic.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I plan on buying a WiiU at some point, mainly to fuck about on Mario Maker. When they're dirt cheap I'll bite. Elliot will like playing the Lego games on the pad too.

Best console for Dad/son gaming ever.
  • Did anyone play Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm running through it now. need to complete so I can get on with my craft project before dx.

It's pretty fun if I'm honest. Some breezy jrpg with basically zero grinding if you have the dlc (free with fortissimo edition).

A couple of jank design decisions (loong unskippable attacks and warping not as smooth as it needs to be) but i don't play many jrpgs so for this to hold interest is saying something.

Top 5 wii u games

1) splatoon - competitive online shooter that anyone can be good at. Fuck me break the mould.

2) Mario maker. Great game that showed any amount of work arounds in little big planet are a waste.

3) bayo 2 - lush and again takes a hardcore genre and allows almost anyone to feel good.

4) zombi u - launch game - third party support rip- excellent permadeth type game and fun bashing zombies in a creepy knockabout way. Good use of pad.

5) game and wario. Drawing game and fruit game are godly.
  • The Orbulon award
‹ Previous1234567

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!