PEECEE HELP
‹ Previous123456715
  • Look at me creating threads. How I roll.

A chum wants 3 monitors connected to his PC.  1 desktop across 3 screens. Is all he needs a 3 port graphics card or does he need to check other nonsense such as motherboard etc?

Also, what graphics card please?

Biscuit for the winner.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely eHow should get the biscuit.
  • You havent really done enough to earn yourself a biscuit on this occasion.

Recommend a video card and the Bourbon is yours.
  • I recommend a video card. 

Give booze.
  • I recommend a better video card than Unlikely.

Give me booze, plz.
  • You just get better booze.
  • Boo my Steam thing is refusing to contact their servers to log in now. I don't really understand why, it's not firewalled, all the ports it likes are open on 'puter and router. Even tried un/re-installing the program and now I'm just getting a dialogue box that claims it can't even put me in offline mode before it's been able to log in at least once to grab all my account details.

Before I bear these ill tidings to the Fortress of Gaben itself, anyone else experienced this shit?
  • Is anyone hear the font of all knowledge on motherboards?  Mine appears to have just died.
    it's from my old HP XW4400 workstation, an ATX board with a core2duo processor.  thing is, i don't really have the spare cash at the moment to use this as an excuse to upgrade (as much as i'd like to get a core i5 or better), but at the same time simply replacing the motherboard and then being stuck in the same generation of processor seems a bit of a waste too.
    So my no doubt ridiculous question is can you get a motherboard that would support newer processors but also be backwards compatible with a core2duo?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Boo my Steam thing is refusing to contact their servers to log in now. I don't really understand why, it's not firewalled, all the ports it likes are open on 'puter and router. Even tried un/re-installing the program and now I'm just getting a dialogue box that claims it can't even put me in offline mode before it's been able to log in at least once to grab all my account details.

Before I bear these ill tidings to the Fortress of Gaben itself, anyone else experienced this shit?

This has happened to me recently. I deleted clientregistry.blob in the Steam folder and was able to connect again. Also cured the intermittent "No Connection" problem I was having.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Nah, no joy. Though I am amused that .blob is its actual filetype and not something you made up, so that's something. Cheers anyway.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Hmmm, the Steam forum page I got my fix from also suggested changing the region in download settings to something else, but I see you can't even get in using "offline mode" to do so.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666141
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Fixed it - it was fucking PeerBlock getting up in my shit, I shoulda known.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    So my no doubt ridiculous question is can you get a motherboard that would support newer processors but also be backwards compatible with a core2duo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_processors

From this list you will see the socket is compatible with chips shitter than that which you already have. In short, no mate.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • cheers beano.
    i decided to man up and put some heat on the credit card, bought a new mobo, cpu and ram.  then, because HP are twats, spent most of the morning pissing about to get it installed into the case!  and now windows is getting on my tits.

i think i preferred it when it was broken! :)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hope you didn't pay over the odds. Though TBF HP are that overpriced. But I would've suggested going on scan.co.uk
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh details, what did you get?
  • I built a new pc at the beginning of the year and started playing with overclocking.

It's fun
  • no, the PC was an HP, and foolishly I thought i'd just buy some bits and they'd fit nicely.  but they didn't.  still, you're not really building a PC if you don't have to snap off bits of metal with your bare hands!

what i got was:
    a Gigabyte GA-H77-3DH mobo
    3rd gen i5 3450
    4GB 1600Mhz Hyper X RAM
    £250 ish.
  • Im building a PC. I have 3 monitors. Ideally want to run all 3 off of one graphics card.  Im having great fun searching through Google to work out whether thats possible.

It seems that if I want Eyefinity then I need a monitor that can handle directport connections. All I want is an extended desktop across the 3 monitors. Its not for gaming.

is it possible to have 3 monitors active on non-directport monitors?
  • I got two g cards in the end. I believe I can do an extended desktop using 2 ports from 1card and 1 from the other. Someone say yes.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yes. Do 4 instead though. YOU GOT THE PORTS BISCUIT!
  • WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I got the biscuitzzz. I knoowww what youre looking at ...mmaa boottiee
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You can have one monitor and multiple biscuit. Or multiple monitors and a biscuit. That's my final offer for yo pirate treasure.
  • Meet me behind the forum dumpster in 10. I shall show you my Pink Wafer.
  • I'm after some deadly super serious answers here. I cant seem to make any sense of the wildly varying answers online.

I have ordered TWO Sapphire HD 6570 2GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card with the intention of using them for non-gaming stuffs only. They will be linked up to three monitors. (so 2 ports and 1 port used from the cards). They will be set up as a 3 way extended desktop.

Is that possible. From searching similar queries, half the answers say no. Or no because of X Y Z. Others say yes.

Ignore the actual card spec (for non-gaming). Im building this for a mate and he wants a card of that spec..

(using a Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Socket 1155 DVI VGA HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Re hardware, fuck knows mate. However I'll volunteer that Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the soon to be released Consumer Preview Mk2 have much better multimonitor/desktop support.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/multimonitor-options-introduced-windows-8

also

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/software/3355908/displayfusion-relieves-windows-8s-multi-monitor-headaches/?zk=windows8
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The way I know it has been done is when there are 2 x DVI's on one card and you have two cards.

In recent years we began to fudge a connector of everything on one card. 1xDVI, 1xVGA, 1xHDMI and sometimes a composite too. It is impossible to use these cards, by themselves to output to more than one display.

The only way to do it was the way where you used the same connection type for all three monitors. But this means using hardware that is rarely on the consumer market as new and probably won't be very good for high demand software.

However in more recent times 'active' converters came out meaning you could use two new graphics cards that have the collection of connectors on. The idea being you went back to using a DVI on each card and you would get an 'active' HDMI to DVI converter for the third monitor. This would provide the hardware support you'd need to push to three monitors again.

It may be that some drivers for some cards might not recognise the active adapter. This I have no idea about and I am just guessing that this is why you are finding some info saying it can't be done whilst finding info that says it can.
  • Ta beano. Didnt reply to this early as the motherboard arrived dead on arrival. Almost ripped my donkle off in frustration. Replacement sorted it. 2 graphics cards for 3 monitor display working perfectly.
  • I need a new laptop (budget £300-400) and I'm really struggling to find something suitable.  The best I can find on Amazon is this Acer (same brand as my current laptop) but apparently the keyboard's a bit of a nightmare (worse than previous models).  Any suggestions please for something reliable, good value for money, running Windows 7?
‹ Previous123456715

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!