The Stu's Top 100 Tribute Thread of Top 100s
  • I'll summarise for all those who think the OP is tl:dr - CiT concludes that Revenge of Shinobi is the best game of all time.
  • This'll take a while, but I'll give it some thought (at least one Sonic game will be on my list, btw)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A hundred revenges of Shinobi?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My answer so is Dark Souls x 100.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well I just noticed Friends of Mineral Town in your top ten.  Come here you, gimme a hug.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Well I just noticed Friends of Mineral Town in you top ten.  Come here you, gimme a hug.

*hug*

Such a great game.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Far too long: never reading.

I read up to where he starts listing the merits of each Leisure Suit Larry.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As a list-me-do degenerate, count me in.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm doing a full on list, but only because I've got to wait in all day for Amazon deliveries.
  • Cinty, your top 100 is all wrong you idiot.

am i doing it right?

:P
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Must say I like your style @Childintime

Listing alphabetically is cool and I like the lenient rules, will make a list today I think.

Btw Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins? It would seem by first impressions of that game might be horribly wrong. What did you find so great about it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The one on PSP? It was great! A bit hard for me though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • So here's my tuppence. I've divided my top 100 up by systems I've owned (there were a couple more systems like the CD32, GameBoy and Game Gear, but nothing stood out for me on them). They're not necessarily what reviewers would describe as the "best" games on each system, but they're the ones I loved and sank unreasonable amounts of time into.

You may notice a serious weighting towards Amiga and/or driving games:

ALL TIME TOP TEN
    1. Turrican (C64)
    2. Turrican 2 (Amiga)
    3. Speedball 2 (Amiga)
    4. R-Type Final (PS2)
    5. Beyond Good & Evil (Xbox)
    6. Soul Calibur IV (Xbox 360)
    7. Ico (PS1)
    8. Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga)
    9. Burnout Paradise (Xbox)
    10. Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One)

MY TOP 100

C64
    Turrican
    Uridium
    The Last Ninja 2
    California Games
    Yie Ar Kung Fu
    R-Type
    Barbarian
    Impossible Mission

AMIGA (500 and 1200)
    Turrican 2
    Apidya
    The Chaos Engine
    Speedball 2
    Stunt Car Racer
    Secret of Monkey Island
    Lemmings
    Cannon Fodder
    Sensible World of Soccer
    IK+
    Alien Breed: Tower Assault
    SWIV
    Another World
    Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
    Syndicate
    Worms
    Zeewolf
    Putty
    The Settlers
    Lotus Turbo Challenge
    Ruff 'n' Tumble
    Roadkill
    Star Wars Arcade
    Dynablaster
    Super Skidmarks
    T-Zero

MEGADRIVE
    Streets of Rage 2
    Earthworm Jim
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Castle of Illusion
    Strider
    OutRun
    Golden Axe
    Thunder Force IV

SNES
    Super Mario World
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Super Metroid
    Super Probotector
    Final Fight
    Super Star Wars
    U.N. Squadron
    F-Zero
    Blast Corps

PS1
    Motorhead
    Metal Gear Solid
    Syphon Filter 1 & 2
    Tekken 3
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
    Gran Turismo 2
    Wipeout 2097
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee

DREAMCAST
    Sonic Adventure
    Crazy Taxi
    Headhunter
    REZ
    Metropolis Street Racer
    F255 Challenge

XBOX
    Super Monkey Ball
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Forza Motorsport
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Alien Hominid
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Fable
    Jade Empire
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Jet Set Radio Future
    Crimson Skies
    Psychonauts
    Project Gotham Racing 2

GAMECUBE
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Metroid Prime
    Viewtiful Joe
    Ikaruga
    Star Wars Rogue Leader

PS2
    R-Type Final
    Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Okami
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Timesplitters 2

XBOX 360
    Burnout Paradise
    Gears of War
    Halo 2
    Forza Motorsport 3
    Soul Calibur IV
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Portal 2
    Fable 2
    Blur
    Split Second/Velocity

XBOX ONE
    Forza Motorsport 6
    Forza Horizon 3

EDIT:

Honourable mentions:
    Colony Wars (PS1)
    G-Police (PS1)
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Why is this happening.
  • One should really have a wank before making threads like this. A clear lens.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Why is this happening.

Because forum.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm having a wank while posting.
  • Literally every game in this thread is shit
  • Working now so can't reply much. @Jaco your list has been added to the 2nd post, any time you wanna change it just click there then edit. Easy access.
  • Dino Crisis 2 was great. I would love to replay it.
    I mentioned Dino Crisis the other day. Unfairly ignored.
  • Is this legit then?  Apologies for the trepidation, but sometimes it's hard to spot a game within a game on here.  My initial reaction was to view this as an elaborate piss-take of our habitual listing, despite wanting to break the notepad out and start mine off...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is this legit then?  Apologies for the trepidation, but sometimes it's hard to spot a game within a game on here.  My initial reaction was to view this as an elaborate piss-take of our habitual listing, despite wanting to break the notepad out and start mine off...

It's legit. Go for it. :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's joking, don't be fooled!
  • A smiley was used, that would contravene some sort of internet law, surely.  Plus I've already written 'Trials and Trials Evo'.
  • I started a list and was ultra strict, only had 70 odd on my shortlist so gave up.

Most of those were from the 80s/90s so at least I was staying true to my handle.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was listless about a list of lists that combine to list all games, then I saw...
    Gregory Horror Show
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Neither My list or my top 10 are in order. This list does not form my list of 100 best games - just those that had the biggest impact on me.  

PART 2 : 51-100

1-50

** Top 10 ** Super Monkey Ball 1&2 (Gamecube) As close to a perfect game as it is possible to get; subsequent updates with unnecessary additions prove my point. Purity of play requiring only a stick in the main game, and the GC stick with its notches is the perfect match. Still looks and sounds great and the extra games with 4 player support, many of which could be expanded to full games, are genuinely varied such that there will be something for everyone, and this gives it longevity. This game has been the cause of actual tears in my house (Monkey Baseball). Monkey Ball 2's main mode isn't as pure as the original with the introduction of switches, but its suite of mini games bolster the originals - and even though they aren't quite as clever they deliver more variety. I've put these two together because they are published together on one disc on PS2 and Oldbox - but it's the Gamecube versions that are on my list. Modern remakes have changed how Monkey Target plays - so I'm staying with them.

** Top 10 ** Worms Armageddon (PC) Office LAN gaming was never as good as with this game. Hilarious - and the turn based system allowing for pure vindictiveness and back-stabbing. The large weapon set and landscape selection (with editor) kept the interest up. Humourous and tactical in equal measure. Management had to have a word such was its impact on productivity with lunch breaks starting to collide with afternoon tea break. 

** Top 10 ** Super Mario All Stars (version inc. Super Mario World) (SNES) It's no fluke that SMW is the best 2D platformer ever. It is the result of a gradual progression of the genre which is described by this beautifully presented compilation. These games don't have (m)any spectacular set pieces - their main strength is that they just do everything right in an extremely low key fashion. The physics, enemy placing and level layouts all go together to define the genre and provide the best experiences for experts and casual players.

** Top 10 ** F-Zero X (N64) Nothing imparts the feeling of balls to the wall racing quite like F-Zero X. It looks rough, sounds cheesy but plays like a dream spread across a generous pile of cups (including the algo-generated X Cup) consisting of a healthy collection of Escheresque tracks. The trade off between speed and safety - both dependant on a single energy bar is a work of design genius. The N64 controller has never been used better and the rumble pack probably never used more effectively. I still get a rush playing this , chasing down my rival on the last lap with my power bar in the red, entering a chicane with the recharge lane waiting on the next stretch. Never bettered since.

** Top 10 ** Asteroids / DX (Arcade,2600) (1980,81) Asteroids was a beautiful experience in the arcade. The needle sharp vector graphics are really only being realised now in modern reproductions, but these don't have the sheer presence of that glowing screen, bass speakers and iconic cabinet and control layout. The Deluxe version plugged the bugs and weaknesses that experts took advantage of in the original and the introduction of a finite shield and hunter satellites (seemingly influencing Geometry Wars) make it the better game. The 2600 got a home port and despite the crude technical limitations of the hardware was a highly entertaining game as it retains the "no-two-games-the-same-non-linear" feel. My brother and I played that port regularly for years - game variation 39 - 2 players + hyperspace + fast asteroids + 1up at 20,000. The Atari 7800 console got an excellent port too (it is built into the actual PAL version of the console) that has none of the 2600 limitations though is still of course limited by a raster display. My love of the game means I own a reconditioned original Asteroids Deluxe arcade cabinet.

** Top 10 ** Mario 64 (N64) Galaxy is a better game, but Mario 64 is on my list for a few reasons. Firstly it was revolutionary - pulling a fully formed 2D game into the third dimension - fully realised with the resultant problems of camera control and navigation largely solved, and setting the genre template for years to come. Secondly - it remains the only game that prompted an AV-retarded Wifey to hook up a console to play while I was out. Thirdly, it's probably the last time a game imparted a sense of wonder within me and finally it's still a great game to play simply because of the control scheme and solid weight and inertia implemented in its physics that enables you , for the most part, to navigate the now iconic levels. The Wii version supports wide screen and adds a tiny bit of polish but it's the original N64 version that's on my list.

** Top 10** Tetris (Effect (Switch,Steam) + Party Deluxe (Wii)). It's Tetris, so it's one of the best games ever in many people's list. I still play Tetris but it has slowly evolved over the years. Older versions are still excellent but it plays and controls better now - wall kicks, rotation schemes, lock down delays, hold pieces, bag randomisers are all features that you only notice missing if you compare a modern game with something like the GB version. Tetris Party Deluxe delivers a solid modern game experience but it also throws in a pile of extra content in the form of new games that use the basic Tetris rules - you can race pieces down pits, create pictures, guide climbers to the top of the pit, and more - all with up to three others with some co-op and 2 versus 2 modes. You can even do daft stuff like try using the balance board or the steering wheel to play. Best version at the moment for me.  (EDIT: In many ways has been bested by Tetris Effect for its main modes but the wacky MP stuff in Party Deluxe makes it a fine companion to Effect).

** Top 10 **Combat (2600) I first saw a 2600 up and running in a shop with the Combat cartridge. I was with my brother and 2 cousins on a city centre walkabout during the Summer holidays. We had played Space Invaders in the arcade and pong at home, but this was real boy versus boy stuff and it was head spinning. We played and played and kept playing until we were chucked out of the shop , blinking in the sunshine. But what a buzz we had and I knew then I had to have one. It was only a year or two later that it happened , and only because my parents followed through on a promise to give me £100 when I was 16 and an endowment policy they had set up for me matured. Its thrills had not diminished over the intervening time and was a regular entry in any multi-player Atari session. The 2600 played a major part in me becoming interested in computing which is how I earn a living. I ran an Office competition event recently using the Tank Pong variation and its timeless charms went down a storm.

** Top 10 ** Mushihimesama Futari (360)  I've been around since Space Invaders came out in the arcades and for an age video games equalled shoot-em-ups so they have a special place in my heart. The genre has been in the doldrums for some time but boutique setups like Cave pushing out arcade releases kept the fire alight. This 360 port of one their flagship games is astounding and is simply the most entertaining shooting game I've ever played. Hordes of modes and options stretch the seemingly mean 5 levels to breaking point - from the too easy Novice mode right up to a forboding Black Label God Mode. Gorgeous sounds and sights are accompanied by a comprehensive option mode that can be used to optimise the game for CRTs or even simulate one if you want. The various clever scoring rules encompassing a glorious balance of risk and reward means this will last long after the servers hosting the online leaderboards end up in the recycling plant. This is worth getting a 360 for and 3 years down the line I'm still playing.

** Top 10 ** Tempest (Arcade,Saturn,Steam,Switch) The early 80s arcade was a great experience. New genres were popping up all over the place. New control schemes, new cabinet configurations, new experiences. But even amongst that Tower of Babel, Tempest stuck out. It's eye popping colour vector display was the initial attraction, but once I played and experienced the beautifully weighted spinner control I was hooked. Tempest 2000 is probably a better game simply because it is one of those rare times when a modern remake manages to add more gameplay while retaining the feel of the original, but the original has to be experienced through it's cabinet. XBL versions and MAME emulations are poor, faded recreations of the arcade experience. This isn't on my list because of any of these reasons, it's on because of the sheer thrill and buzz I got from playing it that no analysis will ever explain to me. Tempest also gets best update of a classic game ever.  The graphics on Tempest 2000 have been amended for raster displays and the gameplay additions have added enough variety to make it suitable for home play. By all account the Saturn version has some bugs in its collision detection in the later levels but I haven't reached them. The PS1 got the excellent Tempest X3 which is a variant on it. The latest incarnation on Steam and current gen consoles updates everything and plays great but my initial T2K experiences make it my favourite remake.

Super Breakout (2600) The definitive ball and paddle game that so elegantly makes every demand the genre can make off the player via its 4 simple variations (classic, double, cavity and progressive), that it leaves later admirable efforts such as Arkanoid with their gimmicks and intrusive graphics redundant. The 2600 paddle controller is used immaculately to facilitate its beautifully implemented control scheme leaving the player with no excuses for hamfistedness.

Kaboom! (2600)  Pure twitch, in the zone gaming. Move a stack of three buckets side to side using faultless paddle control to catch bombs before they hit the ground. Each wave keeps speeding up until you max out at level 8 which drops 13 a second. Drop one and you move down a speed level - which isn't a sop as it screws with your timing - and the game also removes the bottom-most bucket. A cruel twist that is pretty much unique to gaming - getting harder to punish a mistake. I still play this 30 years on.

Darius Gaiden (Saturn,MAME,Switch). The original Darius games are pretty so-so hori-shooters. The recent Switch compilation makes them enoyable as modern big widescreen TVs can recreate the original arcade multi-screen experience. But Darius Gaiden remains the series highlight. Taito dropped the multi-screen presentation but enriched the sights , sounds (inc. operatic vocals in some levels), powerup system and level design to create a superbly entertaining shooting game. It's novelty - the ability to convert the mid level mini-boss to an ally remains compulsive and the branching level system ensures the game is stoked with replay value.

Jet Set Willy (CPC464) One of the few 8bit micro games I'd bother with today. I mapped this back in the day on a piece of A2 paper. The scale of the game was staggering and I loved just trying to visit all of the rooms which was the first task. I planned a route to collect everything but I never managed to actually implement a run. The CPC464 version had bugs fixed and a whole new section in space. I've since played various PC remakes and I feel it still holds up today. Inspired Matthew Smith design adds to the fun.

Chuckie Egg (CPC464) Another 8 bit micro game that remains playable. The BBC version was the original and slickest but this was a decent port. Nice fake physics and collision scheme gave the game a sense of pace that elevated it from the pile of ladders and levels games that abounded at the time. Played this a lot.

Thrust (CPC464, 2600)  And the 3rd 8 bit micro game. Gravitar was an Atari arcade game with pin sharp colour vector graphics. It was a gravity shooter with the player wrestling with gravity, thrust controls and hamfistedness to navigate through tunnels, collect fuel and take out gun emplacements. It was a beautiful but terrifying prospect in the arcade with a learning curve that would empty the pocket of any gamer on a budget far too quickly. Thrust appeared on the 8bit micros and is obviously inspired by the Atari game - even down to the fake vector graphics. It's a bit more forgiving but adds in a requirement to tow an object through underground passages implemented with excellent Newtonian physics. It proved to be a highly addictive experience on the CPC 464 and a more recent technically astounding Atari 2600 homebrew remake is just as playable. Timeless.

Contra (NES) I remember reading a review at the time that called this game "war in a box". What a great description. This is a rip roaring run n gun with great level design and superb speed, handling and level design. Just stupendously good fun. There is a change of style with some into the screen levels that keep everything fresh and are just as fun. And what a challenge - I got a real sense of achievement when I beat this thing. Probotector in PAL. The SNES sequel is great too but I don't like the overhead levels that much. And Contra Rebirth on WiiWare is a magnificent love letter to it.

Yoshi's Island (SNES) I was holding off moving away from 16bit consoles until all 3 options hit the shelves, so I got to play this. This was mesmerising in the day and it was hard to believe it was running on a SNES. I completed it but only 100%-ed the first 3 worlds. 

Cosmic Smash (Dreamcast) "Have a blast" says the chilled out announcer in this game. This has Virtua Tennis' control, Breakout's satisfying gameplay successfully hauled into 3D, and the production values of Rez. Beautiful looking game that remains quite unique. It's a short game but it's all about replay - the map has several endings to aim for and there's a goodly amount of scoring bonuses for score chasers. Magnificent Sega offering that only they could do.

Athlete Kings (Saturn) Button bashing athletic games are a favourite of mine and while the impact of Track & Field in the arcade will never be matched this game comes close. It's another solid Sega arcade game with a slick port to the Saturn. The 3D graphics still look decent if simplistic today. The gameplay is a small step up from the old arcade game, but not too far, and the 10 Decathlon events have been implemented with enough variety to keep up the interest. Even the 1500m which in most games of this type is dull is made amusing by the fact that you have to navigate your way through a pack of drone runners that can be manipulated into pushing you down the track while conserving energy. OK in single player but the competitiveness is top drawer in multi-player.

Baku Baku (Saturn) This is a typical symbol matching puzzle game a la Puzzle Fighter and its ilk but the charm of the animal feeding theme (monkeys match with bananas, pandas with bamboo etc) and the solid presentation that still passes muster makes it stand out. It was an arcade game but given it was only released on Saturn and PC with a cut down port on the Game Gear, not many got to play this and that's a shame as it deserves more attention. What makes this game really stand out though is the 2P versus mode. There is alchemy at work buried in the symbol dealing algorithm as every round of the this just seems to be highly entertaining. Solid Sega craftmanship on show. I've used this in an office gaming competition too and it proved to be a hilarious event - and for some reason "the girls" really liked this game. 

Bangai-O (Dreamcast,N64) Japanese weirdness goes a long way with me but it does have to be backed up with a good game. This is very weird and very good. The basic mechanic is that your firepower increases with the level of danger you are in. The more bullets are in your immediate vicinity the more missiles you generate with your main weapon. It's a great feeling when the danger is maxxed out, you activate the weapon things grinds to a crawl (perhaps purposefully knowing Treasure) as 100 homing missiles fire and seek out a target. Later levels become light puzzles and your two sub-weapons, one of which is a ricochet shot, have to be selected depending on the situation. Each level has its best score kept too for replay. The weirdness of the text dialogue , and THAT continue screen all add to the fun. I still find the game enchanting. The N64 and DC versions have quite different scoring rules and powerup schemes - but the implementation is rock solid on both and well worth investigating.

Battletoads (NES,SNES)  Technical ability was matched by variety and gameplay by RARE in this late NES game. It's a real compendium of genres but the crippling difficulty would put many off. The 2P mode was a riot but impossibly tough - not helped by the fact that you could hit each other.  I played the hell out of this, reaching the penultimate level. The SNES sequel is everything it should have been and the graphical fidelity on the SNES allows the humour of the first game to come out more effectively. It's a bit easier but still no walkover, and the 2 player mode has an option to switch off inter-player collisions making it a more feasible proposition. The Megadrive got a straight port of the NES game , indicating just how good the original looked and it has some of the difficulty toned down.

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn) Oft called out by Saturn fanboys as a reason to own a Saturn and they aren't far off the mark. As far as I can see this is still the definitive version to own. I'm willing to bet hardly anyone has played the 10 player mode -it's more of a novelty - and restricted to one arena. The fact is that - all other arenas can support up to 8 players and if you can get hold of 2 multi-taps and enough controllers it is worth the effort.  The variety of options and toggles is definitive, and it lets you continue a series of up to 99 matches with backup support. Each round sees daft awards given out for extra bragging rights and I've plenty of happy memories playing this in team mode with the nephews and nieces etc. It also happens to have a gorgeous 1-2 player main mission mode and an addictive, highly replayable solitaire master mode that strays into puzzle game territory while retaining an arcade game feel. Still to be bettered.

Bust-a-Move 2 (N64) The N64 got a solid zero-load-time port of this great game - so far so good. So what? Well - in amongst this game's options is a little time trail mode that lets you race against each other in 2 player mode. It comprises of a load of specially designed smaller levels that fit into classic 2 player puzzle game split screen format. Unlike the normal battle mode there are no garbage attacks - it is a pure race to clear your side of the screen as you both get the same selected level each round. Some levels are ludicrously simple to complete - and when one appears that requires a single accurate shot , the 3-2-1 countdown is hilariously tense. As well as the game keeping count of the number of rounds won, each level has a best 5 times table too - so more salt can be rubbed in if you knock your opponent's best time off the top. Wifey and I would play this for hours and she would never admit defeat.

Donkey Kong '94 (Gameboy) Not only the best game on Gameboy but in the mix for best platformer on any console. This starts off with the first 4 levels of the arcade game but then moves up a gear with brilliantly designed levels in which you must retrieve a key and take it to a locked door to escape the level. The traps are varied as is Mario's moveset that is beautifully implemented. The icing on the cake is the special border art that shows when played on a Super Gameboy, recreating the arcade cabinet around the game area. It also has slightly suped-up sound effects that way. Delightful.

Ghosts & Goblins (MAME,Arcade) This game shouldn't be popular. It's a bastard of a coin grabbing, cheating fuck. It's glitchy and bug ridden but I love it. It's another game I first saw in the arcade and it was gorgeous looking with great atmospheric sound. I hate to be one to overlook gameplay for look and feel but the design of this game, which includes that little red devil bastard, means it carries off the baggage of its shortcomings. I've played this via many retro compilations and MAME and I'll still pass 30mins or so with it from time to time.

Castlevania IV (SNES) First Castlevania game I played and I haven't since experienced one better. That's including Symphony of the Night which I hated because of the loss of the tightly focussed linear format. An early release so has strong association with a great time in my life. I was single in my own house when I bought this and spent many happy hours with it when the beer tokens ran low. Eight-way whipping is one of the main reasons why I found it hard to adjust to other entries in the series. Great level design incorporating some nice Mode 7 set pieces and an astounding soundtrack make up for the slightly jilted feel to the controls. I still have the cartridge, boxed with manual and in lovely condition and is worth quite a few quid, but I can't see me ever parting with it.

Daytona USA (Dreamcast,360) My favourite arcade racer with classic Sega blue sky graphics. The DC version is a graphical improvement with some extra tracks. The controls take a bit of getting used to but using the DC wheel makes a big difference. The 360 XBL version is a delight too with widescreen support although it is more of a straight arcade port with less extra content.

Diddy Kong Racing (N64) I'm a cute game apologist but I only really appreciate them when they are difficult. Playing DKR, particularly later in the game when you are attempting the silver coin challenges, is like having your liver ripped out by a Disney character. That bloody octopus boss - especially 2nd time is a case in point. This game gets bonus points as Wifey bought it as a Christmas present. Not so good in multi-player but a superb single player game. I almost completed it with TipTup (the turtle), getting to the 2nd Wizpig race which is a hateful race in planes involving dodging floating boulders etc - wretched. 

DoDonPachi (Saturn) You hear a lot of talk about DoDonPachi and how influential it is. So much so that you start to think to yourself that maybe it's fanboy-ism. I've played this emulated in MAME but I've spent most of my DDP time with the Saturn port. It deserves the love it gets in my book and is still among the best 2D shooters. There are a few games that came before it that introduced some of the game play elements that make the modern shooter genre what it is, but DDP is for me the first modern shooter as it hangs together incredibly well. It's also a game that on first encounter comes across as pretty generic. But spend some time with it and Cave's craftmanship in scoring rules and general level design starts to show itself and haul you in. The Saturn port looks a bit on the rough side but it features a TATE mode and it's the first game I rotated a CRT for and it was worth the effort as the game looks and plays a lot better played in its native resolution. Just a highly enjoyable and really rather clever game that has that modern shmup duality where you play it for survival and then start to play it for score.

Doom 2 (PC) Another work-based gaming experience. The heady days of before "managed" desktops. Sigh. This did the rounds on a set of 3.5" discs. I was one of the first to get a Pentium with a sound card and that changed everything. The sound of the Arachnotrons approaching is one of the greatest experiences in gaming I've ever had. I played it to the end and then played it again on Ultra Violence. Quite, quite brilliant. Thing is, that was me as far as FPS games went. I couldn't get into later titles that had more depth. Duke Nukem was OK but I found it too fiddly. Doom 64 was the only other FPS I completed.

Dragon's Fury (Megadrive) I quite like pinball based video games but I always asked myself why the developers restricted themselves to recreating tables that resembled real-life ones. Then this came along. Loads, and loads of things to discover and a great gothic/horror inspired graphical look and feel. I've played the PCEngine version on the Wii and also a WiiWare followup , but the MD version is the first I played and that's why it's my preference. Still play this.

Layer Section (Saturn,MAME,Switch) "Just" a straightforward vertical shmup. I picked this up for the Saturn knowing nothing about it - something I rarely do - and I just couldn't stop playing. It's very old school , the only original feature being a lock on laser that you can use to defeat enemies below you , the look of which is implemented in gloriously drawn scaling sprites. The level design is the killer feature though as it's just so entertaining to play - so much so that its cruel level of difficulty doesn't spoil the fun. It looks pretty good until you activate TATE mode and rotate your screen and then it looks spectacular.

Gigawing (Dreamcast,MAME,Steam) Another shmup, but this has a unique feature whereby you have a rechargable shield that when used properly enables heroic manoeuvres through the bullet and enemy ridden levels in the game. There's a couple of sequels but they aren't as good as the original and it's also a Dreamcast exclusive. As with most good modern shooters the level design is cleverly crafted so that no matter how manic the screen becomes there is a way out and it's only by repeat play and level learning that this shows itself. That might sound a bit tiresome to those who don't like modern shmups but that feeling I get when starting to cane impossible looking levels is unlike any I get from other genres.

Gods (PC, SNES) Chaos Engine comes close to this but Gods is my favourite Bitmap Bros game. I first encountered it on a work PC via a hooky copy and it ran like treacle but was still entertaining. I found it intriguing enough to pick up the SNES version when it became available. It's a great port -it runs lightning fast  - faster than the Megadrive version and it looks and sounds better too. I wrung every last ounce of playtime from this game. Choc-full with short-cuts and secrets and I'd say I found most of them - but I can't be sure - and that's why I loved and still love this game.

Parodius : Fantastic Journey (Saturn) This provided one of those rare Oh my God moments in gaming. I'd played the 1st game on SNES and that was a great port but Konami really went to town with the sequel. The level 2 enormous cat submarine scene with a Suza marching band tune was one thing, but at the start of level 4 when the William Tell Overture kicked in I realised I had moved up a generation in console hardware. This is still my favourite entry in a uniformly brilliant series.

Kororinpa (Wii) An awful lot of waggle waffle inhabited the early days of the Wii and it just so happens that a proper motion control game, perhaps the best ever, sneaked out in the early days without much fanfare. It's a really rather simple roll and move game in the mold of Monkey Ball but using the wiimote's tilt detection instead of an analogue stick to the tilt the levels and guide marbles through a level while picking up a target number of gems on the way. The control scheme is sublime and really shows just how sensitive the control is. There aren't a huge number of levels but this is made up somewhat by having bronze, silver and gold cup times to go for. The final levels in the game are tortuous and it's a pity the difficulty didn't crank up earlier. The physics are beautifully implemented and the game is brimming with charm which really is the icing on the cake, and there are lots of different marbles to collect which can make the game play quite differently - for example the football bounces quite a lot and that changes how some levels are tackled dramatically. I played this to death and unlocked everything. There's also a workable 2 player race mode that we had plenty of fun with. There's a little known sequel called Marble Balance Challenge which offers a pile more content but the physics have been tweaked to make it a bit easier (though you can unlock marbles, including a custom one, that largely recreates the feel of the original). I'd still get the original first and then hunt down the sequel though.

Mario Kart (SNES,GC,Wii,Switch) The original was an early SNES purchase and therefore attached to that great time in my life (see Castlevania IV). Great pre and post pub (and other times) multi-player entertainment. GP and battle modes went on into the wee small hours. Excellent single player game too - and the first time I got into TTing and the early primitive ghost support is memorable. The N64 sequel was disappointing but the Gamecube's power means Double Dash is more than likely Miyomoto's vision realised - an interactive racing cartoon. First version my daughters played and therefore their favourite. Still gets an outing at my house. I've even stumped up for BB adaptors for LAN mode. The Wii version is still magnificent, and MK8Dx on Switch carries on the majesty of the original idea - hauling a platform game universe into racing game was quite simply genius - the game was complete and correct on Nintendo's first attempt.

Megamania (2600) A truly excellent shmup for the 2600 inspired by the brilliant Sega's Astro Blaster in the arcade. Activision coded and so therefore technically excellent and its clean look means it still looks decent today. A proper 8 level shmup with loops that introduce new wave patterns, colours and speeds. I played this until I clocked the score at 1million at which point the game has the decency to end. Wonderful memories of playing alone and with bro and cousins.

Metal Slug (PS1&2,Wii) Gorgeous run n gun series with lots of humour and excellent hand drawn sprite work that is amongst the best ever. First game I played was MS3 and while it's excellent and inventive it's far too long and the bosses have ridiculous levels of HP turning it into a slog. The best in the series is probably MS1 or MSX but for casual play all of the games are tremendously entertaining and 2P co-op adds to the fun. 

Mr Driller (Dreamcast,Gamecube,Wii) Cocaine dusted chocolate hobnobs wouldn't be as more-ish as this. A beautifully pure arcade game - this is the best thing Namco has ever done. Once this game gets its claws into you, you have problems with invaded dreams, and a constant desire to go back for another fix. I pick the Dreamcast version of this because it's the version I first played and because it's the first DC game I played at 60Hz which punched the scales from my eyes. There is just something about playing this game on that console (which is the arcade at home) with the luxurious official arcade stick that cannot be quantified. The Gamecube got the stupendously good JP only Mr Driller Drill Land which is a better game (including a gut wrenching 2 player race mode) , and the WiiWare version is just as good, but the original on DC with the arcade stick will always be special for me.

Legend of Mystical Ninja (SNES) You won't find too many adventure games with a story in my list, in fact you might not find another. This game popped out of Konami when they were at their peak and couldn't put a foot wrong on the SNES - the console that seemed to inspire them most. It's a one or two player roam around with tough side on platforming sections set against a whimsical, nonsensical storyline. What makes this game though is the Japanese weirdness and humour. The roam around village sections are interspersed with mini games which keeps the interest up but the game truly comes to life in the platforming sections, especially in 2 player mode that introduces a hilarious piggy back mode. Excellent boss fights, slick control and a great Japanese soundtrack round the package out.

Super Meat Boy (PC/Switch) Didn't like this at first. Didn't like the artstyle. Didn't like the controls. Didn't like the concept of infinite lives. Played it until ch.2 and gave up. Then fast forward several years and got it in a sale for Switch but ended up going back to the PC version. This is a top 5 platformer - sits alongside the Nintendo Trilogy of SMB,SMW and YI. The control and physics are the best thing about it - I don't think there is a skill ceiling. The level design and progression are superb too - going back to an earlier level you struggled with and destroying it is shocking - the skills are burned into your brain. Loads of replay value with bandage hunts, warp levels and new characters to try. 

Peggle(PC, 360) Impossible to explain why this is so enjoyable. Its beautiful presentation plays a very large part but the underlying satisfying blend of luck and skill makes this very difficult to put down. Has an enjoyable 2 player turn based mode too that probably doesn't get much attention.

Phoenix (Arcade,MAME,PS2) I got a huge buzz playing this game in the arcade. First shooting game I played that sported a shield. The great thing about it was it could be used for attack and defence. Of course there was the adrenaline rush of that boss/mothership level. Great gurgly sounds and the somewhat quirky implementation made it feel organic and unpredictable. Many , many 10ps were pushed into this by both myself and my brother. Was the first game I looked for when I first discovered MAME existed.

Pilotwings (SNES) Seeing this on Gamesmaster is what tipped the balance to SNES over Megadrive. A mate of mine got a SNES with it as well and we had a great time racing each other to the end. Dreaded the phone ringing as it might have meant him bragging down the phone he had cracked the next level.

Prince of Persia (SNES) I first played this on a PC in work but the SNES version is superior. The soundtrack is superb and the graphics have had an extra layer of polish applied. Very satisfying to complete.

Punch Out (NES, Wii)I'm pretty sure the NES version is the first game to ever make me laugh out loud. Loved this and was a real crowd pleaser in a gaming session with friends. The SNES update was pretty good but the Wii remake is an under-rated gem that I suspect didn't sell anywhere near as well as it deserved to.

Puchi Carat (PS1) Paddle games do it for me, and this game comes with a paddle controller to see off the shortcomings paddle games have on consoles later than the Atari 2600. It's a cross between Puzzle Bobble / Bust A Move and Breakout. The arcade original had a 1P mode and 1PvCPU and 2P mode. The PS1 gives you these but with a handful of extra modes like Time Trial and Endless. Recreated more or less perfectly and while the earlier levels are soon defeated the later trials are incredibly tough. But practice really does make a difference and seemingly impossible targets can be achieved. Thoroughly satisfying game from Taito.

PART 2 : 51-100
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!