Coffee and Tea
‹ Previous123456747
  • I note there's a drinking thread already, but it's about the other sort of drinks that leave you not so sober.

I want to talk about Coffee (and since you lot drink it so much, tea).

As just mentioned in the what do you do thread, I'm trying my hand at being a barista.

Done the basic training, and looking at getting a machine for home and also looking to pick up work in a local cafe to just get time on a pro machine.

So , who drinks coffee in these parts, who's made coffees in their time. Who has a home machine?

Where do you get your coffee? Good cafes? Good home stuff? Etc.

Same again for Tea.

I currently use a stovetop jobbie for my coffee at home. Get fresh beans from a couple of places, Auction Rooms, Plantation and The Premises. All of which make excellent coffee. Don't mind their single origin stuff, but generally, they all have clues, and so their blends are consistent and tasty.

Can't wait to get the mahcine at home, have been checking outcomparisons on the choice website and somehow it seems that Sunbeam do some of the best machines. And one of their cheapest models rated it's tits off.

There's a risk of landing in the land of pseudo wine tasting wank with coffee, but gee I'm glad some people are into it, as the wankers tend to make some great coffee. I am kinda keen to start collecting some of the other bits and bobs and different brewing methods too.

Go.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • If you're interested in being a barista, my brother is quite well known for it. He lives in London and now opens coffee houses for people, has featured in magazines and has a small celebrity following.  Although he does get pretty embarrassed about the attention side of it, he's just amazingly obsessed with coffee. He spent two days brewing the perfect cup of iced coffee and now he's working with some (new, of course)medical grade centrifuges that normally spin blood to get the oil and essences from coffee for some new project he's working on. 

He got started with just a coffee machine at home and working in a crap cafe. His website is here, but not updated in awhile. If you drop me a message I'll check it's ok to give out his email address and you could pick his brains for a bit on coffee and all that goes along with it. 

As fir me, I'm more interested in loose tea leaves and combinations. I'm not a fan of breakfast tea, earl grey, etc.
  • Well, that's awesome, I will pick his brains, fo sho. I am, however, in Melbourne.

If he gets to travel at all, he'd love it here. the city is freakin coffee crazy.
  • Currently loving the new fancy Nescafé stuff that's launched here, called Azera. Add a wee bit of toffee nut syrup, shit so cray.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A local (well, local when I was in the UK) coffee shop sold this ameretto (sp) coffee that was borderline orgasmic, especially black with a couple of sugars.

Recently I've been going around the cafes, trying to find the one that does the best muffin and mocha. It's a hobby.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Amsterdam has some phenomenal cafes. Round the 9 Strasse (if anyone knows it), there's a whole load of gourmet coffee houses. One place had some sort of 'Barista University' attached to it. 
    (Unlike the 'coffee shops' which sell shit coffee). 

Admittedly most of this is wasted on me. My main requirement is that the coffee is strong. 
    Everything else is secondary. I rock the filter coffee machine if I'm going to be in most of the day. Stove top espresso is awesome. Although I mostly use a small one-person cafeteria since my girlfriend gave the stuff up (she wants a little monkey, apparently coffee isn't best for that). 

I need a day or two off the stuff every once in a while. Although I'm addicted to the stuff, my body has some sort of mutant healing factor resistance to it. I need to keep ramping up the levels to get the same effect from it. But giving it a rest for a few days seems to press the reset button. Rooibos tea acts as my methadone for those times.
  • Currently drinking Blue Mountain Jamaica.  Nice.
  • I got Asda tea right now at work, aint that bad....
  • i remember accidentally causing this thread on oldforum, good mn on bringing the issue forward face, TEA

im actually drinking way more coffee than tea lately, ive just been enjoying the buzz as i get along with nothing much, but tea is the champ of those doing things in a cultured manner and hence maybe a tetleys should be procured later
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have a Nespresso machine, which makes surprisingly great coffee. I also have s grinder and Italian espresso pot for when I'm not in a hurry, which is never.
  • we've been thinking of getting a machine, i take it a nespresso is a.. fast.. coffee making(?) machine. Does it produce in volume? Is it expensive?!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, tea is piss, I don't know why people bother with it.
  • can you answer my questions

and tea is just a different drink, i like both, there, challenging statements
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nespresso uses hermetically sealed capsules to make a perfect espresso in about 60 seconds. The machine is pricey enough, the best part of 200 euros.The capsules are about 3 euros for 10, which is reasonable enough considering how much the equivalent coffee would cost you in a bar or cafe.
  • hmmm, i think i'll prob go for something a bit more traditional/cheaper/volume based/projector of comforting gurgling noises
  • Mixing it up between Iron Buddha, Oolong, Jasmine and various green teas. My co-worker says he used to be a barista and is a massive coffee snob. In actual fact, he used to work in a student coffeehouse and it's because of this I want to tear his lungs out.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    we've been thinking of getting a machine, i take it a nespresso is a.. fast.. coffee making(?) machine. Does it produce in volume? Is it expensive?!

I've been thinking about one too after I stayed in a hotel and had one in my room. I'm a bit limited by space in my Kitchen for a proper coffee machine, so was thinking that one of these may well be a decent middle ground.

Unless you really want to make Lattes or Cappuccinos, then you don't need the more expensive machines with the milk heating attachments. They do seem to make a decent coffee though, and are quick. Some of the models also come with a £30-£40 voucher for capsules, which is nice.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I tried Luwak coffee in Indonesia, the stuff that's eaten and then shat out by cats. It's not worth the hugely inflated price.
  • I'll order a flat white in Costa or wherever now and again but am otherwise a tea-ist these days. Once was all vast mugs of blackest-evar-black beanwater, now I'm pretty happy with Rooibos, green, Earl Grey. Cold mugi-cha (barley tea) in a bottle when I'm J-side.
  • id just want something that could produce a large amount of coffee-powered water with minimum cost/faff
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Big jar of instant is all you need then.
  • I have this at home...

gaggia%20classic%20coffee%20machine1.jpg

...which is awesome.
    Don't bother grinding my own beans though.
    I swear by this stuff...

illy-dark-300.jpg

which is dark roast, the strongest stuff they make.
    I'm useless before I get my double espresso in the morning.
    My guilty pleasure is my daily tall mocha with whipped cream to go from Starbucks.
    They get a lot of stick from coffee snobs, but the above beverage is like liquid crack with cream on top.
    Tea, I don't drink much of. Tend to have the odd cup at work if the weather is cold, but really I can take or leave it.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow wrote:
    Big jar of instant is all you need then.

i kkinda like the taste of 'proper' coffee if you get me, instant's a bit rough (although perfectly drinkable)
  • We had a guy in for interview this week. 
    Offered him tea or coffee and he said coffee.

asked him what he normally took.

He answered Nescafe. 

He didn't get the job. Especially at the end when he said - are we done here?

We have a machine at work - Morphy Richards machine - the boss usually get the coffee from Aldis.

You wont find them talking about it in the advert.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I drink an ungodly amount of Double Dragon green tea.  Very refreshing and super healthy.  I regard coffee as a treat, a no frills Alta Rica with no additional shite.  I do sometimes go on coffee binges, which plays hell with my sleeping pattern.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hmm...you've started me looking now, anyone know if this machine is any good?

http://www.johnlewis.com/230878166/Product.aspx

Or would it be worth spending a little bit more?

http://www.johnlewis.com/231450543/Product.aspx
  • @mostly: I looked at that delongi also.

Signed up with choice magazine out here and they've given it a pretty poor review. They rave about the Sunbeam caffe latte EM5600, which got the best overall rating, even though it's the same price as that delongi, and less than a third of the price of some of the others. The del lost out on coffee flavour and a couple of other important stats, tbh.

Don't know about that second one, but it looks freakin cool.

I'm wanting one that works as close to a shop one as possible, for a start.
  • Hmm...you've started me looking now, anyone know if this machine is any good? http://www.johnlewis.com/230878166/Product.aspx Or would it be worth spending a little bit more? http://www.johnlewis.com/231450543/Product.aspx
    The first will doubtless make a decent brew, but the second one has a better pump. Moar "bar" is moar better when it comes to coffee machines.

regards

g.man
  • Best thing you can do if you're a coffee lover is buy a machine that is easily serviceable.
    I'm lucky, this place is five minute drive from my house, and the owner is both lovely and a complete coffee geek.

regards

g.man
  • yeah i dont care enough to spend that much fucking money. jesus christ.
  • Indeed Gunn. These things have to be seen as an investment. If you get one that is easily serviceable then you could easily have it for 10-20 years.

it's all relative

g.man
‹ Previous123456747

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!