Experience vs Gameplay. Discuss
‹ Previous1234
  • There is a growing trend of games becoming experiences.
    For the most this isn't a black and white but more a developer using one to carry the other. However there are ever more releases that are looking to create an emotional response over a skilled based challenge that has been the standard for games from the early inception.

Thoughts?
    Examples?
    Argue?
  • Gameplay all the way, I've never had an emotional response to a game and the phrase experience used to describe a game makes me cringe.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Thought: I am open to experience type stuff as well as traditional game stuff. 
    Examples: I had a lot of fun playing The House Abandon and Virginia
    Argue: Horses for courses innit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Argue properly Rouj!

PEOPLE CAN PLAY WHAT THEY LIKE YOU FUCKING TWATS, I SWEAR ITS EMOTIONAL CRIPPLE CENTRAL ON MOST GAMING FORUMS, SOME PEOPLE ACT LIKE THEY ARE ALMOST OFFENDED THAT PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO FEEL FEELINGS, I DON'T GET IT, EMOTIONS ARE AIGHT, UNLESS YOU ARE REPRESSING A LOT OF RAGE OR SOME SHIT AND THEN ANYTHING JUST TRIGGERS A CRYING FIT SO YOU ACT WELL ARD ON THE NET AND PRETEND LIKE YOU AIN'T NEVER BLUBBED WHEN YOU GOT TO THAT BIT WHERE YOU FIND OUT AURON WAS A DREAM ALL ALONG GOD DAMN IT.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Needs more spelling errors.
  • Both.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Both is cool if thats your thing but the gameplay has to be there surely? A game that plays bad is bad.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • By both I didn't mean at the same time. Gone Home was great. Journey was great. And so is Bayonetta, Street Fighter etc.

Doesn't have to be a vs. Let games be anything and everything, and just choose which you want to play/experience. Limiting the artform/medium is, imho, detrimental to progress. And stupid.
  • The title of the thread is Experience vs Gameplay.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Both is cool if thats your thing but the gameplay has to be there surely? A game that plays bad is bad.

No. You could equally argue a game with no experience (as we're calling it) is bad. I, for instance, have zero interest in almost all games that are just a challenge with nothing more.
  • The title of the thread is Experience vs Gameplay.

Right?
  • But it still has to play well. The core ingredient in a video game is gameplay.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Last Guardian says hello.
  • Does Dear Esther have gameplay and play well?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The title of the thread is Experience vs Gameplay.
    Right?

Asking to pick one over the other?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    Last Guardian says hello.

Definitely feel its the inspiration for the thread.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The Last Of Us gameplay was average to poor but the experience was amazing. In that case i don't think they deliberately prioritised experience over gameplay it just happened. Journey was fantastic, loved it. I got bored of Virginia and Life is Strange, there wasn't enough game. 

'Experience' can mean lots of things. In Forza Horizon 3 (a game nobody would says is intended as an 'experience' game) there are moments on the mountain during a white out that genuinely feel like being on a mountain during a white out, can we class that as an experience? 

There doesn't always have to be an experience for me, i love Rocket League for example, but i think there always has to be some game. I think then for me there needs to be a balance between the two let's make up a number and say there has to be at least 20% skill based challenge or i lose interest.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Does Dear Esther have gameplay and play well?

Never played it. Sounds like one of those push up to win games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Trying to define what a 'game' is is a headache that incredibly deifficult to solve because any definition that is vaguely useful will always exclude something that can be argued to be a game by someone else using a different definition. People still do it though, because people love classifying and structuring things, and those structure do have plenty of uses in acedmic circles for ensuring arguments are clear. As for a practical application to what we play and how we define things, I think it's a bankrupt avenue.

For me, anything that is interacted with is a worth experiencing or playing and i'll do my best to get around to everything and take it on its own merits without trying to fit it into some arbitrary structure, and that's as someone who loves both the aimless wandering of Proteus and the deep and mechanically focused Bayonetta.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Both is cool if thats your thing but the gameplay has to be there surely? A game that plays bad is bad.

No. You could equally argue a game with no experience (as we're calling it) is bad. I, for instance, have zero interest in almost all games that are just a challenge with nothing more.

I'd say you're in a minority, and I can point to far more games which were massive hits with a challenge and nothing more (Doom, Bomberman, Worms, Street Fighter all spring to mind) than ones which were experiences with no gameplay.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Right?

Ah ok.  Thread's not quite aimed at me then. I love both types.
  • I may have wandered off point.

Anyway, gatekeeping is bad.
  • Current example:
    I'm playing Doom at the moment. I'm eager to get into the next level to see what happens. If it was just the same arena over and over, with more/harder enemies, I would have put it aside days ago.

Equally, Geometry Wars is extremely good, mechanically. As there's no content progression, I fire it up for a quick blast every couple of months and that's it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I may have wandered off point.

Anyway, gatekeeping is bad.

You just need to complete the requisite quest and it'll open.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Current example:
    I'm playing Doom at the moment. I'm eager to get into the next level to see what happens. If it was just the same arena over and over, with more/harder enemies, I would have put it aside days ago.

Equally, Geometry Wars is extremely good, mechanically. As there's no content progression, I fire it up for a quick blast every couple of months and that's it.

The fact that you're still firing up GW says something.
  • AJ wrote:
    I, for instance, have zero interest in almost all games that are just a challenge with nothing more.
    AJ wrote:
    Geometry Wars is extremely good, mechanically. As there's no content progression, I fire it up for a quick blast every couple of months and that's it.

Not quite zero interest then? 

As Tempy says, hard thing to discuss because there is no definition of what is experience and what is game. 

I, for instance, would argue DOOM is game only, there is no experience, no emotion, nothing to learn, just entertainment.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Both is cool if thats your thing but the gameplay has to be there surely? A game that plays bad is bad.

I'd say you're in a minority, and I can point to far more games which were massive hits with a challenge and nothing more (Doom, Bomberman, Worms, Street Fighter all spring to mind) than ones which were experiences with no gameplay.

Probably, but being a minority view doesn't make it invalid.

I do prefer there to be some gameplay with my experience, though. I've a handful of things I've not tried yet because I have been in the mood to just walk about. Journey got the balance good; there's skill to it if you want there to be, but the most cackhanded of people could easily finish it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Right?

Ah ok.  Thread's not quite aimed at me then. I love both types.
    I made the thread as a starting point for discussion.
  • Djornson wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    I, for instance, have zero interest in almost all games that are just a challenge with nothing more.
    AJ wrote:
    Geometry Wars is extremely good, mechanically. As there's no content progression, I fire it up for a quick blast every couple of months and that's it.

Not quite zero interest then? 

As Tempy says, hard thing to discuss because there is no definition of what is experience and what is game. 

I, for instance, would argue DOOM is game only, there is no experience, no emotion, nothing to learn, just entertainment.

Note the almost. Unless it's going to do something new, I wouldn't even look at another twin stick shooter.

Doom is providing cool things to look at and, with its story, a semblance of intrigue.

Tempy is spot on, though; there's really nowhere for this conversion to go beyond defining terms and some people arguing something is pointless because they aren't interested in it. But then, that's the case with a lot of discussions and people still enjoy them.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Both.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!