PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Hello folks!

Made my thoughts clear in the Welcome thread but once again, finally - a place we can talk unencumbered about gaming. So here we are, nerds alike - Lets get the ball rolling with some RPG/MMO discussion. To start things off if anyone is interested in playing TERA ONLINE have a goose's gander over at doubledragon-ver2.com - We're looking for a few more members to join us in TERA and also, to play some DIABLO 3 with us when it arrives later in the month. 

With that said, I guess we'll just leave the rest as is and see what's happening elsewhere. So who's playing what at the moment? 
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yayyy, RPG thread! I'm going a good job of keeping up to date with this year's RPGs but I still have a horrible back-log from last year - Xenoblade Chronicles, Trails in the Sky and Yakuza 4 are all outstanding.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Heard great things about Xenoblade, but I'm on Tera atm and Diablo is out soon so there's not much time for anything else unfortunately. Tried Dragon Age 2 again recently, utter rubbish to be fair. Bioware have lost it if you ask me.
  • I completed Xenoblade last year and am getting there with The Last Story.  FFXIV still pokes me in the right place to ensure RPG joy, mind.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    You'd love TERA's Baraka Race. Pure Galka, or whatever they are called now. 
  • I liked DA2 so am kinda looking forward to the third whenever it reappears. I really wish they'd made a third Kotor though, The Old Republic can suck my balls, as fuck MMOs, frankly.

I did start playing WoW again recently at the behest of a couple of friends but I'm not going to renew my sub as playing just feels like a waste of time now. While random dungeons with my friends is fun (cross realm dungeon finder FTW) there's no way I'm getting back into raiding so there doesn't seem to be any point to the end game. DS is also quite a boring raid.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Does Dragon's Dogma count? It's looming pretty big on my horizon.
  • Speed, I did play them in the Tera beta and they're cool.

I have Dragon's Dogma preordered. Still not touched the demo.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Can someone recommend some good PS2 RPGs to me? I'm currently working through the PS2's back catalogue.

If it helps, these are the RPGs I played in the past and really liked: Sword of Vermillion, Rings of Power, Final Fantasy VII, Skies of Arcadia, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2
  • You'd prob like dragon quest 8, and im told the persona games are good
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dark Chronicle, FFX and FFXII.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I bought skyrim btw
    If it sucks I will blame you
    If it doesn't suck my wife will
  • Cheers Gunn. DQVIII - for sure.
    Are the Persona games really hardcore and complex. That's not a bad thing in itself - it's just that I'm not sure I can bear to sit through endless tutorials with blurry text.
  • Dark Chronicle, FFX and FFXII.

Cheers Paul - aren't X and XII veeerry different beasts though? I seem to remember X being terrible but can't think why.
  • What did people think of the Dragons Dogma demo?  I wasn't overly impressed, but I put that down to my own personal tastes.  It seemed like a well-made game.  I just found it a bit.....complicated.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They are very different, but both very good. There's also Rouge Galaxy or something that came out right at the end of the generation. I never played it but it's bound to be worth a look.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message

They are very different, but both very good. There's also Rouge Galaxy or something that came out right at the end of the generation. I never played it but it's bound to be worth a look.

Has anyone played that? I was thinking of picking it up.
  • Rogue Galaxy does look good although I seem to remember Edge slating it for some reason. Has anyone played the Shadow Hearts or Suikoden games?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    XII is awesome. X less so. IMO etc etc
    Also okami.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Both Persona 3 and 4 are fantastic with 4 arguably being one of the last gems to be released on the console. Even if you're a passing fan of JRPG's i'd highly recommend them.

Start with 4 if you can. There's little in the story or characters that links the two and it's generally the better game.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Bear in mind that 4 is being remade for Vita if you have one of those or are planning to get one.
  • FFXIII-2 is taking up all my time at the moment. Still got a long way to go on KoA, Disgaea 4 arrives today too.....that's a lot of gaming....

Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Persona 4 is wonderful but do be prepared to spend the first hour or two reading dialogue and pressing x. Well worth sticking with though. I've only played Persona 3 on PSP but it was also excellent. I'd probably start with 4 tho.

Best JRPG on PS2 is probably Dragon Quest VIII.
    XBL DirtyAmpyNoakes; PSN Dampy64
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    See, i've never played a Dragon Quest game. What's good about them?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    dragons quest 8 is awesome...everything about it!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message

Loved it, can't remember why exactly, it's pretty generic stuff iirc, but it just clicked with me for some reason.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Skyrim gone got it's kinect patch today btw. It works with these commands see. FUS DO RAH *cringe*
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Can't edit for some reason. Meant to say that GamesTM gave it a 9 and I'd completely agree. It also has a fantastic minigame for crafting weapons (I think), which, sadly I never bothered with until near the end.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Birdorf said:

Loved it, can't remember why exactly, it's pretty generic stuff iirc, but it just clicked with me for some reason.

Is it a bit like a sci-fi Dragon Quest VIII? Same developer.
  • See, i've never played a Dragon Quest game. What's good about them?

They're very old school (random battles etc) but utterly charming and filled with fun characters and situations. DQVIII is fully 3D (ie. you explore the world 'properly' like in Fable or something, rather than as a 2D avatar on a world map) and just about the best traditional JRPG ever imo. DQIX is almost as good, but quite different.

Can't say I'm particularly excited by DQX tho. An MMO? Yuck.
    XBL DirtyAmpyNoakes; PSN Dampy64
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    @EvilRedEye: yeah, from what I remember, sci-fi DQ would sum it up pretty well.

Was planning to sell my PS2, but thinking about this, I might have to give it a replay. As if I haven't got enough unfinished games to play.
‹ Previous1234567101

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!