The Stu's Top 100 Tribute Thread of Top 100s
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Got bored in work between Christmas and New Year so started writing this up. Just finished it after managing to slot The Last Guardian in there, because duh. 

Edit: Fuck knows what happened with the formatting here but I can't be bothered changing it.

All timers
    Rez- Just about the only game that continues to instil a sense of childlike wonder in me, like I could sit cross-legged a little too close to the TV and just stare at it with my mouth hanging open. Properly transcendental.

Splatoon- Trust Nintendo to be the one company that’s ever managed to crack my distaste for online shooters. Just scrub the dictionary definitions under ‘fun’ and replace them with this. The second coolest game ever made.

Super Hexagon- Up there with Tetris as an example of ‘perfect’ game design. A twitchy, invigorating masterpiece. Fast forward twenty years and I’ll still be playing this, somehow.

Majora’s Mask- Each Zelda is special to me for different reasons, but I think this one left the most lasting impression. I let the world end once, and only once. Ocarina of Time knew how to be scary, but Majora’s Mask remains completely haunting.

Dark Souls- It took me years –years- to click with it, but once it happened there was no going back. Possibly the best world building, storytelling, and combat mechanics I’ve come across in a game. A bona-fide obsession. 

Perfect Dark- Goldeneye but better. To this day I’ve never been as excited for a game as I was for Perfect Dark, and it delivered ten-fold. So vast in its array of modes and details that I still can’t understand how they ever got it running on an N64.

Skies of Arcadia Legends- Quite simply one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. From the tone of its characters to the joys of assembling your crew and sailing the skies searching for discoveries, it’s a soaring adventure from start to finish.

Smash Bros Melee- Probably the game that I’ve poured more time into than any other. My friends and I became so good that we started entering local tournaments against semi-pros and real competitors. In today’s world of global tournaments and professional tier players it seems hopelessly quaint, but it was heady stuff at the time.

Killer 7- Obtuse, stylish, downright bizarre and utterly unique. Peak-Suda, and absolutely crying out for some form of re-release.

Pokemon Blue- It may no longer be the biggest, or even the best, but it remains the most beloved.

The rest
    Spoiler:

I mean, I added this.

Quoted for page turn.
  • I was listening to the Adventures of Batman & Robin soundtrack on Youtube recently (and then Scorcher on Saturn), which ended up with me considering playing a demo of Hitman.  Jesper Kyd did some great stuff with the MD soundchip, and I didn't realise he'd assisted Amon Tobin with the Chaos Theory score.
  • It really was a remarkably banging sountrack for its day. Kyd's stuff on Hitman Contracts was also superb, and suitably eerie.
  • His Assassins Creed stuff is superb.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • New additions + deletions:

Papers Please
    Breath of the Wild
    Yakuza Zero and
    Nier Automata.
    Snipperclips

Gone are
    Need for speed 2
    Ghost Squad
    Picross E
    Goof Troop
    Nokia pinball
  • Need to update mine. NSMBU will go in.
  • Oh and Witness. Dammit need to keep my list updated.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Need to finish my descriptions. Just did Super Aleste there.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Need to update mine. NSMBU will go in.

Good stuff, very underrated imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah. I'm not gonna try and AllStar (fuck top of flagpoles) but trying to find all coins is great and those star road levels are quite tricky. Great difficulty balance overall and some great level design. Love it.
  • Agreed, thankfully it doesn't have that flagpole shit, that's just 3D World afaik.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 3d land had doing it too, also with luigi.
  • Didn't realise that.

That's an unnecessary slog for the player imo, hope they drop it going forward.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh, I thought NewU counted them too.
  • Na just secret exits and coins, plus some bollocks about catching Nabbit in every world but I didn't bother with that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My list has hit the max post size... :(
  • davyK wrote:
    My list has hit the max post size... :(

Wtf?

Copy the second part into another post then throw me the link - I'll do a pt.2 link for you in the OP. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PART 1 : 1-50

51-100

Rez (DC,PS2,360) Style over substance is the diatribe of its detractors, and it's fair comment. I bypass the games as art tosh, and the supposed implied meaning within the levels, and just enjoy it as one of the finest on-rails shooters around.  Of course it looks and sounds glorious. I have tripled dipped on this and while the HD XBL version is definitive because of the slight extra polish and the convenience, for me its natural home is still the Dreamcast.  Being a collector, I'm also uncomfortable with the HD version's digital format (I have the disc version on an anthology called Qubed). The enemy pattern design and boss fights imbue me with a feeling of pure enjoyment and they reward repeated play in score attack.

Rhythm Paradise (Wii) First game I've played where not looking at the screen helps. It's a shame to do that though because the visuals are as charming as they are hilarious. The difficulty is a bit up and down but it's a consistent tough cookie later on. There's a handful of toys and 2 player modes that are downright hilarious and this is perfectly at home on the Wii even though it only requires a single button to play.

Defender(Arcade, 2600) Being of an age, I first saw this intimidating game in the arcade. It had a 2 way joystick for up/down, and buttons for thrust, reverse (which actually just turns the ship around!!), fire, hyperspace and smart bomb. The radar was a revolution - one of the first examples of a graphically presented game world that exists off-screen. Defender players were a step above the rest of us arcade denizens. I played it a bit but being on a budget the price of expertise was too high for me. I got the 2600 port which techincally was a flickering shambles but it played well - initial disapointment gave way to extended sessions seeing me clock the 6 digit score and the 2 digit wave counter. Of course I knew it wasn't as hard as the original but it was enjoyable. I've since played the original quite a bit on retro compilations and the controls incorporating 4 way movement on the dpad makes it more approachable but not any easier. Dropzone on the NES is a beautiful riff on the sequel called Stargate which added some extra features and tweaks.

Rtype Final (PS2) This, along with Gradius V, was the reason I got a PS2. It splits opinion in the shmup community but I love this game. It looks gorgeous and the funereal place of the scrolling is matched by the soundtrack.  Not a huge game level-wise as with all shmups but some of the levels change depending on what you did in the previous one so there's more levels in the game than meets the eye. There's a score attack mode that lets you tackle each level individually and what really makes this game is the huge number of ships (over 100), force orbs and other bolt ons that make the score attack mode feel like the Gran Turismo of shmups. It shouldn't work. There is no way the developers could have properly tested every level with every combination and it should collapse under the weight if its own ridiculousness but it doesn't. It somehow holds together and is a triumph. Not many game series developers have the balls to announce an ending and go out with such a strong showing.

Fantasy Zone (Saturn) This was an arcade game but I never saw it never mind played it there. I first encountered it as as JP only entry in the Sega Ages series which apparently is a very accurate port. Gameplay is pretty run of the mill but what makes it is the charm inherent in its pastel shading, catchy soundtrack, enemy and player ship characterisation, and the boss fights. It's rock hard too - the Saturn version's option mode seems to only offer ways of making the game easier. The game's shop offers all sorts of weapons and upgrades and the fact that everything gets more expensive after each purchase prevents overuse , encouraging experimentation.

Space Invaders (Arcade) A revolutionary experience in the arcade when first encountered. Even the shmup genre's latest bullet hell extravaganza's share its DNA. Exchanging shots with enemy waves. Three lives. High Scores. This was an obsession with me in those days. I can remember rows of machines in the bigger arcades. It's little known sequel is a far better game with more variety and bonuses but the impact of the original is why it's in my list.

Streetfighter 2 Turbo (SNES) A pre and post pub multi-player stalwart back in the day this game I feel has aged very well. A few years ago I had an office gaming league pre-Christmas party tie-breaker using this. It still looked good even through a projector and the gaming session went on for hours long after the league was decided.

Super Aleste (SNES) The SNES isn't known for its shooting games. The slower processor wasn't compatible with the speed that is part and parcel of the genre. Super Aleste bucks the trend - it's a technical marvel - in many ways outdoing anything the Megadrive or PC-Engine had;  the sheer number of fast moving different sized sprites on screen with not a hint of slowdown being its hallmark. It also happens to feature the best use of Mode 7 - it's in level 2 - a battle against a huge space platform that starts off in the distance launching missiles at you and ends up as a series of low passes over its many gun emplacements. The game has more levels than the norm and your ship's large number of weapon options keeps up the interest and add to the replay value. I picked this up on a whim and the game's Japanese feel enshrined in the visuals and soundtrack are augmented by the Japlish in the manual. Brings back a lot of happy memories of that period in my life but it just also happens to be an excellent game with an arrange mode, a suicide bullet option, and a short score attack game for when you don't have time for the full 12 level mission.

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) Brought back my faith in Nintendo with a bang. Beautiful graphics, epic soundtrack, the hallmark control excellence and that level design - with simply more ideas than any one game deserves to have. 

Smash TV (SNES) A magnificent followup to Robotron, implemented with some aplomb on the SNES. Another game that shouldn't have been possible on the supposed underpowered SNES. It plays great and the SNES 4 button layout means it plays just like the arcade original. It's only after you complete the game finding the 10 keys and accessing the pleasuredome that the developers start to show off as a turbo mode is unlocked - revealing that the game was throttled back the whole time!  Excellent 2 player mode too.

Tetris & Dr Mario (SNES) I've already got a Tetris game in my list so why another? Three reasons. First of all , Dr Mario is on the same cartridge and this was the first version I played of this highly under-rated game that is mistaken for a Columns rip-off when nothing could be further from the truth. The cart features pretty strong CPU opposition particularly in Dr Mario mode but it's in multi-player that the cart comes to life. Second reason is the exclusive Mixed Mode which is a 2 player score attack mode where players tackle a round of Tetris B, Dr Mario and then Tetris A until a time limit runs out. It's an unusual and enjoyable mode that can be further tweaked in the settings. Finally this is an annual institution in work when we have a pre-Christmas Tetris versus competition and the old 16bit graphics look great stretched over a projector screen. The Tetris B versus mode (first to 25 lines with garbage attack on) is hard to find on other Tetris releases (the 360's Tetris Evolution is the only other one that has it) and it's a great leveller when trying to get casuals involved.

Chaos Engine (SNES) Bitmaps Bros' does Gauntlet but ups the challenge and slaps on a stylish coat of steampunk paint. This game doesn't suffer fools but if you can stand the heat it has loads of replayability due to the different pairings and the CPU assist isn't half bad. There's plenty of scope for tactical play too with the range of weapons and the characters strengths and weaknesses when team building. I played the hell out of this - actually getting to the final boss and only falling at that hurdle. Having to play through the last long level to get to it repeatedly was just too much for me even back in the day. This got a sterling port to the SNES - looks and sounds great.

Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast) A huge slice of Sega genius. This shouldn't work but of course it does. The hilarity goes off the scale in 2 player versus mode which cleverly only awards points to the first player to complete a word - so it goes from being a straight typing race when one word is on the screen to a tactical poker match when multiple words start to appear. Hiding the score to the end of the level ups the tension. I ran an office competition several times with this and the inspired word & phrase list offers endless possibilities for double entendre, and scores can be separated by less than 10 points.

Zelda : Link to the Past (SNES) I don't go for adventure games but I loved this game. It was the first Zelda I played. And the only one I finished. Beautiful 2D sprite work and the pace of the game - the way it unfolds - is quite superb. Once I completed it I was done though - it was never the same as the 3D games felt like they were rehashing the same ideas. I'll always have the memory of that epic playthrough though.

Buster Busts Loose (SNES) I knew I had arrived in the 16bit generation when I first got this. Super Mario World is a far better game but for sheer looks, sounds, presentational panache and charm this one is hard to beat. Oddly the first level is a bit humdrum, but that second level with its glorious Western themed soundtrack and that 2nd act with the brilliant train section remains one of my most beloved game experiences. I played through this multiple times at the hard level which shackles you with a 1 hit health meter.

Yahtzee (Apple IIe) 'twas the year of '79 (or maybe '80) when an Apple IIe arrived in school. We soon discovered a games disc that had various demos and programming examples using Apple BASIC and a few slicker efforts in assembler such as a decent Space Invaders clone. Yahtzee wasn't the flashiest game on offer but it had staying power. It supported 4 players with its turn based action and was probably the favourite for lunchtime sessions. I remember examining the program listing which to me at the time was wondrous looking having only written one or two very small programs (would call them apps now I suppose). I re-created this game (sans the optional CPU player) on my CPC-464 in Amsoft BASIC. Great times.

Bubble Bobble (NES) I still play this evergreen game from time to time on retro compilations but I first played the NES version which is a solid port and despite the occasional technical drawback retains the excellent playability. The sheer number of secrets gives it an air of mystery and the later levels become very puzzle like while still demanding high level platforming skills. As good as it is it's at its best as a 2 player game with levels starting off as co-op enemy clearing and ending as a selfish race to the bonuses. Never quite replicated and it remains a unique game.

Virtua Tennis 1, 2 (Dreamcast) I don't like sports games as a rule. Team games don't feel controllable , but Tennis is the exception. With it's 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 format and small arena, it's perfectly suited to videogaming. VT1 and 2 are simply among the best of the genre - the later releases diluting its greatness. Mario Tennis is a more complete game with more content but Sega's arcade game's sensibilities and conservative looks have more universal appeal - and you can play it with arcade sticks.

WarioWare (Gamecube) A love letter to video gaming. The single word instruction micro games tug at videogame players' hard-wired memories and there is nothing like the high this gives you when you first play it. The GC version has a handful of superb 4 player modes that elevate the game above the original handheld.

Wetrix (N64) Puzzle games don't survive the move to 3D but Wetrix couldn't exist as a 2D game. Rock hard but enjoyable at the same time because of the clever scoring system - so it makes you its slave - but it features an excellent playable tutorial that gets you up to a level where you have a chance to last more than 2 mins as a newbie. The presentation and excellent music finish the package off. The PS2 update is spoiled by unnecessary additions. The Dreamcast version is prettier but doesn't sound as good as the N64 original.

Wii Sports Resort (Wii) The original Wii Sports was nice but it was too easy to see how it worked and cheat the controls. Resort is what the original game should have been. It uses motion plus , which should have been there from the start too which lives up to the hype - but maybe its fidelity and requirement for calibration would have killed immediacy of the original. This is a great box of ideas and features several games that could be developed into full titles of their own. So-so in single player but has truly excellent multi-player versus and co-op modes. It's a riot - and in all likelihood we won't ever see something like this again.

Yars Revenge (2600) This was originally conceived as a port of Star Castle but the programming techniques of the day weren't up to it. I'm glad because it forced Atari to create a highly entertaining and challenging original game. It's pretty much typifies the classic Atari game - addictive but simple gameplay backed up by excellent sights and sounds that make the most of the hardware's features, and there are options to crank up the complexity and challenge that casuals will never try because they are hidden in the typical Atari option system (too many only ever play variation no. 1 on 2600 games which are usually the most basic).

Yoshis Story (N64) Lambasted by most as a followup to the Majestic Yoshi's Island but its critics miss the point - this isn't even an attempt at a sequel. A play through of this game consists of only 6 levels - one from each world - but the game consists of 24 levels. Each world has 4 levels with escalating difficulty and you have to find hidden super happy fruit to unlock them in worlds 2-6. Once these are found the trial mode takes over duties from the Story mode and the title becomes an excellent score attack game and repeated play soon reveals subtleties for score chaser's. Of course it's too cute by far and has a nauseating soundtrack but the production values are sky high and the presentation of the between-world sequences, shown as the turning of the page in a child's pop-up book is simply beautiful.

Mushihimesama (Steam,Switch) The game that inspired the sequel Futari (in my top 10). This is a superbly crafted 2D shmup with a host of additional modes, each of which features inspired level and enemy wave design and a beautiful art style and soundtrack. I played this after Futari - I bought it on the strength of Futari. And maybe it isn't just as polished but it's every bit as good and maybe it's design is more consistent with its insect in the forest setting throughout all of its 5 levels.

Pole Position (Arcade) First immersive driving experience for me this one. Bags of character with its "Prepare to Qualify" preamble to the actual race. This was a regular stop-off game in the arcade. The sequel has more variety with selectable tracks but the original is still my favourite. It really isn't the same playing it emulated - it has to be sit down cabinet.

Star Wars Arcade (Arcade).......same here. It's hard to imagine the use of colour vector graphics being used to imbue an atmosphere but Atari managed it back in 1981. The excellent yoke controller leaves you with no excuse and the multi-phase play keeps up the interest. The sound effects add to the experience and the sit down version simply could not be walked past if you had coins in your  pocket.

Surround (2600) Remember the snake game on Nokia phones? Well imagine a 2 player version of that in which you have to box your opponent in - first to 10 wins. That's the brutal simplicity of this game which was an Atari 2600 launch title and is an obvious inspiration of the light cycle scene in Tron. There was actually an ancient arcade game called blockade on which this was based - but I suspect more people played this. The game throws in some variations such as steadily increasing speed, wrap-around, and diagonal moves along with a stupid game breaking option - the ability to not leave a trail behind you (a rare mis-step and perhaps the result of Atari's Friday pot and hottub parties). It looks and sounds primitive but it's simply brilliant fun. There's a retarded versus CPU mode which is a waste of time and a Video Graffiti mode which just lets you draw on the screen - an indicator of the sophistication of gamers of the day and the power of the novelty of interacting with a TV. Still, maybe Atari did know what they were doing after all as I remember myself, bro and cousins laughing at attempts at drawing a cock and balls on the screen in this mode.

Pong To those of you born later on when video games were just another way of spending time, I really can't convey the impact that an appearance of a home pong console had on me and my family. A beloved uncle, now sadly not with me (he was taken too early at 49) bought this (he was a single man and the high price at the time for a shipyard worker who loved a pint and a bet was only justifiable to himself) and I can remember my thoughts the moment I first saw the box in his hands. Inexplicably I had heard of TV games - I have no idea how - but that knowledge was a poor substitute for experiencing interacting with a TV. The gameplay was of course primitive and I haven't played a game of Pong in decades, but that early experience with the whole family playing is why it is on my list. I can remember my father shaking his head in bewilderment trying to figure out how it worked and asked if there was a TV station somewhere broadcasting these images. The idea that the little magic box was doing all the work seemed miraculous. Of course for many it was a short lived fad, but for me it was something that I knew would change my leisure time and getting my own pong console later on with a light gun, and arcade visits kept me going until the arrival of the Atari 2600 a few years later.

Tap Runner (Wii) No other game demonstrates imaginative use of the Wii remote better than this simple little game. It's a straight left to right obstacle course race with the wiimote placed on a box that the player taps gently to run and firmly to jump making it a bit like athletics button bashers except with panache as tapping too hard results in unwelcome jumps. The Rez-like presentation is excellent but what really makes it a great experience is the fact that it's a multiplayer game for up to four and I deny anyone to play this without a stupid grin on their face and these grins in my experience are matched by any onlookers in my office gaming sessions.

Moon Patrol (Arcade,MAME) This was another arcade love. Played a lot of this in the 147 arcade in Belfast - now long gone. I got pretty good too - drawing spectators on occasions. Great soundtrack and effective parallax scrolling are what initially attracted me to it, but the little subtle touches here and there and its satisfying course progression style of play are what kept me playing. I jumped (OK - fist pumped) for joy when MAME started running this.

Wardner (MAME) MAME is great for going back to replay favourites, but its greatest asset is that its a conduit for new experiences. I saw this briefly in the arcades as a student in the late 80s but I only got to play it via MAME. It's a coin grabbing platformer by Taito but it has a certain level of charm and the levels just feel enjoyable to play repeatedly partially because it has a fair old number of secrets to discover which reward the player with points and more importantly - 1UPs - unusual for a coin grabber. Have 1CCed this game and recently completed a deathless run.

Sky Kid (Arcade) Played quite a bit of this in the arcade as a student. It's a cute little hori shooting game but there are a few differences. Firstly when you take a hit you can recover by rapidly hitting the fire button while holding up on the joystick provided you are far enough from the ground. Then there's your target which you need to drop a bomb on - a fort or battleship usually. The bomb  has to be picked up off the ground amid lots of enemy fire about half way through the level. The simple mission structure keeps you playing and it's a Namco game - so it's all very jolly with a solid implementation and silly cute features like the dancing girls that welcome you on the landing strip at the end of a level that can be shot and turned into smiling pink marshmallows for no reason at all.

Chips Challenge (PC) Probably the best thing in the Windows Entertainment Packs back in the Windows 3 days. A top down viewed sliding tile puzzle/action hybrid game with hoards of levels that prove to be surprisingly varied due to clever use of the different types of tiles, enemies and pickups. Many a worktime lunch break was spent playing this trying to get to the end before office rivals.

Astro Blaster (Arcade,MAME) Rock hard fixed screen shooting game from Sega. The variety of the enemies and the bright colours were enough in the early 80s to attract attention but this game didn't suffer fools with its overheating laser and constantly dropping fuel gauge that could be refilled at risk in the middle of an asteroid section that appeared just before the end of each wave when your ship was running on fumes. This one had lots of secret bonuses to discover too - challenging the player in a way that the better thought out XBL achievements do now. I can remember the cabinet used to shake with the resonance effects of its speakers because the operator must have turned the volume up too high - but this is still a effective MAME experience and a favourite of mine.

Bank Panic (MAME) Sega arcade games aren't shy and retiring but this one is. It looks a bit on the low key side and I suspect not many played it because of that which is a shame. You play the part of a security guard in an Old West bank and you have to cover 12 doors of which you can see 3 at any one time. You have a separate fire button for each door in your view and a joystick to move left and right. A radar display at the top lets you know which doors require your attention. At any time, any door can be opened by a customer , an outlaw ,or a kid wearing a stack of sombreros that gains you a bonus if you quickly shoot them all off. A customer will deposit money and you clear a round by having a deposit made at each door. It quickly becomes quite manic and the game soon starts confounding you with fake customers, hostage situations and other tricks all at high speed and often simultaneously. The colour palette is a wee bit on the dull side but the graphics are well designed with plenty of humour and the game itself has lots of little risk/reward bonuses to go for which make it always worth going back to. Never played this in the arcade so I have MAME to thank for this.

Boulderdash (NES) I originally encountered this game on the C64 but I really spent quality time with the NES version which is an excellent port - I'd posit that it's the best ever in fact. Wifey took a liking to this one which is high praise indeed as puts in in the same company as M64, Tetris, Bust-a-Move and Picross. 

Scramble (Arcade) An arcade stalwart that I'll still spend a bit of time with either on MAME or XBL. The stage progression is still satisfying and the increasing demand on fuel makes subsequent loops worth going for. Even when the shine went off it in the arcade it was always worth a credit or two when waiting for the latest machine to be available.

Track n Field (Arcade,MAME, 360) Multi-player arcade gaming was never better or more hilarious. The variety of button bashing techniques I saw was bewildering and the simple idea of a world record board made you painfully aware of unknown savants who had played earlier that day - giving them an air of mystery and heroism. The game itself has little secret bonuses that somehow spread pre-internet. The pigeon in the Javelin, the photo finish bonus etc all somehow ended up as common knowledge. A recent acquisition on XBL showed me how good this game still is - the daughters found it compulsive and hilarious in equal measure.

Mr Do (Arcade,MAME) I always preferred this to Dig Dug - there's just so much more to it and the number of secrets and techniques still bestow it with a sense of mystery and wonder. It feels a tiny bit clunky in its implementation but that somehow adds to the charm. Played it a fair old bit in the arcade but I'll still drop a credit or two into MAME with this from time to time.

Gradius (Arcade, NES, Saturn) The original game is taken for granted - but I recently shelled out for the Saturn version and I was reminded just how beautifully balanced this game is which still defines the horizontal shooter genre. This series lost its way before making a comeback with Gradius V but the original game doesn't have the unfair crippling checkpoints and greedy coin grabbing design that the 3rd and 4th entries have. Gradius 2 is also a superb game (it's on the same disc for Saturn) but the original takes the glory for me as I played it in the arcade and on the NES which got a solid port which suffers technically but still delivers an accurate experience.

Hunchback (Oric-1) Not the greatest game in the world, nor is it likely that this is the best port, but for Oric-1 owners starved of games to go for this was an no-brainer of a purchase. It's a decent port and played pretty well. I was able to loop this game several times until a bug produced a "death screen" that features a fireball that comes to a halt as soon as you try and jump over it making progression impossible. This was one of those games my father loved to watch us playing and so is remembered with a great deal of fondness as a family gaming experience.

Balloon Fight (NES) Nintendo does Joust. And outdoes the original in every department.  It looks more whimsical and is easier to play which is only right being a home game. But Nintendo added extra features while retaining everything that's great about this sadly under represented genre. It shares the engaging 2 player versus/co-op blend that Bubble Bobble has that is quite hard to find. Developed by Satoru Iwata himself - and they even threw in a survival "Balloon Trip" mode - a candidate for the first ever endless runner - just because they could. It pre-dates Flappy Bird by 30 years and outdoes it too.

Bombjack (CPC464) Never played the original but the Amstrad got a great port of this game. It's a real score chasers dream with large bonuses to go for by optionally grabbing the bombs in the right order which of course is the most hazardous way to do it. I played this to death and I suspect the cassette was in danger of wearing out.

Super Robot (Vax 11-750) My first proper job was as a COBOL programmer with login rights to a Vax 11-750 mini-computer (basically a small footprint mainframe). Its 80 x 24 character display wasn't exactly designed to host games but this game which plays a bit like a turn-based version of Robotron set in randomly generated mazes was highly addictive. Its high-score table was shared across the corporate network providing an early introduction to online leaderboards. I liked this game so much I developed an update for PC using BlitzBasic. It was even picked up by Softpedia and garnered several hundred downloads.

Shanghai Triple Threat (Saturn) I first played tile matching games on the PC - the best of WIndows Entertainment Pack (which somehow did the rounds in work illicitly) had a decent version called Tai-pei. This title is more of that with extra bells and whistles, an arcade mode that features a timer to work against and a few other modes that add gravity and other complexities to make the head hurt a bit - but the star of the show is Golden Tile mode. This is a 2 player battle mode with 2 small piles of tiles set side by side a la split screen mode, each with a hidden single golden tile. First to click on theirs wins the round. You can use tiles from your opponent's pile to match and clear your own pile but you can't click on your opponent's golden tile. It's a really nice competitive game and Wifey and I would play this for hours. My eldest daughter has developed a taste for it and sadly her skills now exceed my own. Underated, excellent little game.

Solar Jetman (NES) Takes the gravity shooter (Thrust, Gravitar et al) to its limits. Huge levels to explore and lots of toys and power ups with a lengthy mission involving finding ship parts. My pop used to enjoy watching me play this one. Good memories. Really odd soundtrack that sticks in my mind still.

Geometry Wars 1,2,3,Galaxies (360, Wii) Pretty much the definitive twin stick shooter. The original game is pretty straightforward, but it bests Robotron and Smash TV because of the sheer amount of variety offered in GW2, 3 and the Wii's Galaxies which also offers a novel alternative to control - aiming with the wimote and moving with the nunchuck.  GW2 in particular is a superb multiplayer game with hugely addicitive modes like Pacifist and superb high score tracking using the 360's friends list. GW3 warps the levels into 3D and used the geom collecting introduced in Galaxy and at times it feels like playing a twin stick version of Tempest, gazing down tunnels preventing enemies from getting to you.

Bishi Bashi Special (PS1) Weirder than WarioWare which is saying something. The colour based games aren't as accessible as the PS1 controller button symbol colours aren't as instantly applicable but its huge fun when 2 or more are assembled and it's a fun game to watch too. The disco dancing game with the growing afros is a highlight. Some good family gaming memories with this one.

Shoot Away (Arcade) This Namco classic is a clay pigeon simulator with a large back-canvas adorned with a forest clearing scene onto which discs of light are projected which you shoot at with nice chunky shotgun controllers. The arcade operator in which we played ensured it was regularly calibrated - and subsequently it was a joy to play. A friend and myself became pretty good at this. Draw-a-crowd-to-watch-us-play good - an experience that is sadly lacking in these on-line times. Two player mode was brutally simple in cranking up the pressure as you alternated every 2 clays - facilitating a "follow-that" atmosphere with the pressure building every time a round completed without a miss. Feeling people behind you and hearing the odd gasp of approval when the game went into extended play and boosted the clay speed - isn't matched by a Twitch chat stream.

Bit.Trip Complete (Wii). The Bit.Trip series was a successful experiment on Wii; critically if not commercially anyhow. It used the Wii controllers to excellent effect delivering a series of 6 games that when played can induce "in the zone" gaming. Two of the games - the first and last - are based around paddle control - implemented by holding the wiimote on its side and rotating it. Other games use simple control schemes making full use of the Wii's control configurations. The six games cover the basic genres of gaming stripped down to their bare essentials. What makes this package is the presentation - the graphics and sounds remind me of what a suped-up 2600 would produce and indeed - some of the games are reminiscent of early 2600 games. The design of the levels is linked to the soundtrack however, merging these games with the modern rhythm genre and this soon puts the player into that zone like trance which so enjoyable - with the sights and sounds becoming more complex the better you do. A truly unique experience and it's great to see the series originally released on WiiWare given a physical release with some extras including an soundtrack album on CD that make it an excellent, collectable package.

PART 1 : 1-50
  • Choir:

"Da-vyyy, we love yoou". 
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That Virtua Tennis 2 love oh my
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Oh my days, Bishi Bashi.

To this day me or my housemate will sing the tune for the afro game to each other, with the second person of course carrying on the next part.

It's on my list for sure.
  • davyK wrote:
    Rhythm Paradise (Wii) First game I've played where not looking at the screen helps.

Interesting.

I wonder how much this influenced 1-2 Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Spoiler:

:)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK speaking true stuff about Wetrix, everyone.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Done!

How do you get the ID of an individual post? I'd like to link to part 2 from part 1 but I need to know the post ID.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Click the date/time

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!