Prey - System Shock meets Metroid by Arkane
‹ Previous123456716
  • This has been mentioned in a couple of threads recently, but I don't THINK it has a dedicated thread. 

On May 5th you'll be able to buy this but there's a demo out now which is very much worth trying. To be honest, this game wasn't on my radar but after playing the demo it's a definite purchase. Of course, many people played the first, so what's different this time round?

This is being done by Arkane, the lovable rascals behind such games as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic as well as the somewhat more current, and famous, Dishonored games. It's an FPS like their other games, which isn't usually my thing, but the atmosphere and structure has absolutely been nailed here, so i'd recommend any sceptics to download the 13GB demo and see for themselves.

The best way to give people a feel of the game is to describe the way I went about doing something:

I'm in the main lobby and there's a wide open foyer with multiple sets of stairs on either side. Everything is quiet but i'm terrified because of the Mimics. The mimics, as the name suggests, can mimic everyday objects - is that chair a mimic? What about that coffee cup? So, i move forward slowly, enter a room on my right and hit everything with my wrench. Suddenly, a mimic bursts from the other side of the room. I have a gun which isn't really like a gun - it shoots foam and can turn mimics hard, or I can use it to create a climbable surface - and I wildly spray foam all over the place, hardening the mimic, then finishing it off with the wrench. Suddenly another mimic scuttles out of the room back into the foyer, but when I get out there it has disappeared. I look around slowly and notice something different...is that bin new? I foam it then run in and smash it, and the mimic's body is revealed before falling apart. 

I scour the area, then head towards the stairs. I need to get to my office but at the top of the stairs the door is locked. There's another staircase on the other side so I start heading that way but, as I am going down the first set, I notice there's a balcony between the two staircases and a thin ledge leading that way. I can't run along that, can I? I jump over the railing and land on the ledge, move slowly along it and find myself in the staff area.

More mimics, some logs and a password later, I leave the room and continue back towards my office. It was a lot of fun and very, very tense. 

So, this game very much follows the System Shock / Deus Ex / Metroid exploration route - it's got a slightly Bioshock vibe going on, granted, but it feels much more open. There's hacking and crawling and lifting and all manner of upgrades neuromods, and you can climb up and over a fair amount of the environment, so it genuinely feels like a proper "play your way" kinda game with an oppressive atmosphere to die for.

A surprise, then, but a very welcome one and yet another great game to add to a great year. Also, one more game that Muzzy can't buy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been seeing very mixed reports about the demo, and apparently the PC version is a clusterfuck ala all Arkane games, but this has been on my radar for a while.
  • I've been seeing very mixed reports about the demo...

Seen the same but I loved it. Opening first 10 minutes didn't do it for me, tbh, but then I got seriously hooked. Demo is free so give it a punt.
  • No PC demo because they're "hard at work optimising it" SMDH.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I'm a bit torn over this. As the day 1 purchase for the original Xbox, Prey holds a special place in my heart. It was a mind bending game at the time with a truly unique perspective on how the player traverses the game world. I realise this is pretty much nothing at all like that, being developed by Arkane and coming from Bethesda but your comments above Cinty encourage investigation at least,
  • Day one since I first heard of this. Alas, not sure how much time I'll be able to dedicate to it given other game I'm playing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Stop press. There's a demo? On ps4? (runs off to download)
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Stop press. There's a demo? On ps4? (runs off to download)

Yup. Enjoy.
  • Cinty, you didn't mention its a 13gb download! That will take awhile. :(
  • OP updated to include the fact the demo is 13GB.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Downloading the bugger now, I've heard it's best to go in knowing as little as possible about it so I've only read half of the OP.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    No PC demo because they're "hard at work optimising it" SMDH.

PC master race lol etc.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's not my fault Arkane can't optimise
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    They must be making sure that Prey has support for LEDs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Demo is fantastic. Wonderful atmosphere, will be there day one. Nice to see demos too.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Demo's what?

Just generally nice to actually see demos....
  • Your a swine, Temp's.
  • I'm not totally sold just yet. Loved the setting and atmosphere but found the combat a bit clunky. Didn't feel like a great introduction to the combat to be fighting skitterish headcrabs with a wrench right from the off. Still, hoping it comes together as it looks like a great setting to explore rammed full of detail.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    About four ounces worth
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    joke of the year
  • The original Prey 2 looked miles better than this.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    The original Prey 2 looked miles better than this.

Can't recall this, any videos available?
  • They showed a trailer for this in the cinema tonight, looked awesome. Can't wait to play the demo
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:
    The original Prey 2 looked miles better than this.
    Can't recall this, any videos available?

I just loved it's central premise - you're a human bounty hunter, chasing down alien scum.

I have downloaded Arkane's demo though, not because I have any particular interest in the title, more intrigued by the notion that it's a demo - which I thought were now extinct. Will hopefully get round to playing it. Cinty's first impressions seems overwhelmingly positive, so here's hoping.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Jesus fucking Christ the music when an enemy is near is infuriating.
  • Scout wrote:
    I'm not totally sold just yet. Loved the setting and atmosphere but found the combat a bit clunky. ...Still, hoping it comes together as it looks like a great setting to explore rammed full of detail.

Combat is definitely clunky but I'm ok with that - it's a first person game but not designed to be an out and out shooter, imo. I turned the sensitivity up too, which helped a bit.

And yes, the setting seems incredibly dense.
    Jesus fucking Christ the music when an enemy is near is infuriating.

:D
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!