Prey - System Shock meets Metroid by Arkane
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    But basically yeah maybe they drawed upon too softly.
  • Played the demo now. It is half life come bioshock come Metroid yeah. But I also really like it's setting, and it's style of doing things. Bioshock was probably my favourite game of last generation so this is scratching the same itch for me.

Enemy music sure is dumb as fuck and hopefully that gets sorted but otherwise I think this is a very solid 'b' tier game.

I'll end up getting it, wandering around for hours and wondering how people have finished it while I'm still exploring every section and picking up all the junk.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • So I spent several hours (about 4) dossing about in the demo just now - trying to see everything it had to offer.

There's a lot of cool stuff and secrets hidden in that demo and, in true Metroid fashion, sequence breaking is real. I also played around to see how different mechanics could be exploited and, i'm pleased to say, there's a lot there too.
    Spoiler:

Overall, I really don't think this is just a Dishonored 2 reskin - those games are about traversing environments. Of course they have alternate routes and secrets but, for me, it was mostly about how you want to get from A to B - and there's a lot more verticality.

This feels much more like Metroid Prime or System Shock - a world of interlinked doors and secrets just waiting to be explored and exploited. The enemy music is still annoying.
  • Sounds like it could be good then if they sort the music and if combat becomes a bit easier to parse. Jittery enemies do not mesh with melee combat. At least head crabs had a consistent jump arc so you could track where they would go.
  • Sounds like it could be good then if they sort the music and if combat becomes a bit easier to parse. Jittery enemies do not mesh with melee combat. At least head crabs had a consistent jump arc so you could track where they would go.

Yeah. Unfortunately, though, there's another enemy type which is even worse at exploiting sluggish combat...

I expect more than a couple of people are gonna get really frustrated by the combat. As it was, I got around it by exploiting turrets, environmental hazards and various weaponry - but going head on with a wrench is just suicide.
  • Jeepers. Seems there is an awful lot to this game then! I might pick it up after the weekend, see what deals can be found.

Are the mods easy to come by? I don't want an agonising decision to make every time, and worried I'll always feel I'm taking the wrong one (hacking over lifting for example)

Cinty - loving your dedication and writing about games in various threads, btw.
  • Neuromods are pretty generous in the demo and I think you can fabricate more in the game if you want. However skills become increasingly expensive so I don't think you'll be able to 100% max every skill, but you should be able to have a broad set of abilities.

There's usually alternate methods to get past obstructions, anyway.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Re Arkane developing. Is this Arkane Austin though, not the same guys who made Dishonered.
  • Is it supposed to feel like you're walking through treacle?
  • Input lag on PS4 and the music stuff is apparently being patched for release. The ongoing music after an encounter is a demo bug.
  • Apparently my PS4 was full so this hadn't downloaded via the phone app as i'd been expecting.. anyway set it going now. Probably not in day one as I expect it to  fall sharply in value, although I'd hope otherwise for them.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bob wrote:
    I expect it to  fall sharply in value...

Yeah, I expect this to happen. The demo is getting mixed reviews and Bethesda's rep couldn't be lower right now - gameplay vids of this are getting trashed on YouTube and there's no review copies going out (a Bethesda policy now) so there'll also be no day-1 reviews.

It'll be £25-£35 within a couple of months.
  • Debateable for me whether it might as well have been new IP.

I like to support stuff day one as well..
  • Bethesda's rep couldn't be lower right now.

Why, what have they done?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Bethesda's rep couldn't be lower right now.

There's a fair few people angry that Human Head's Prey 2 got cancelled. Apparently, according to the internet, they deliberately starved and bankrupted HH, then gave the IP to Arkane.

Plus, Bethesda and, in particular, their parent company Zenimax are seen as overly litigious - the Scrolls lawsuit, the Oculus lawsuit etc.

Their most recent games have had some major Internet hate thrown their way - Fallout 4, in particular.

And then there's the aforementioned lack of review code to game reviewers which started prior to Dishonored 2 and DOOM.

Now, a lot of that is Internet anger - but it's actually pretty prevalent. Check out the Prey 2 gameplay vid on YouTube and it's just people bitching on Bethesda.

On the plus side - both D2 and Prey got decent demos, so it's not all bad.
  • Cinty learnt a shed load from your spoiler. I will br starting the game from scratch when it arrives. I hope they patch the enemy music.
  • Sounds amazing. Have pre ordered. Is the demo standalone or part of the game? Don't want to spoil anything if it's from the game itself.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    Sounds amazing. Have pre ordered. Is the demo standalone or part of the game? Don't want to spoil anything if it's from the game itself.

I think it's the opening to the game.
  • When they say they're patching the music from the demo I hope they mean that they reduce the usage of it. Certainly doesn't need to kick in with every encounter. Same with the jump scare 'sting'
  • When they say they're patching the music from the demo I hope they mean that they reduce the usage of it. Certainly doesn't need to kick in with every encounter. Same with the jump scare 'sting'

Agreed - fingers crossed. System Shock had the same issue, if I remember correctly. Tense horror atmosphere then MUSIC!!!!!!!! MUSIC!!!! MUUuUusIC!
  • The 'first hour' easily has 4ish hours content. I'm guessing main game is 20 if your mainline it and at least double if you explore lots.
  • Turned the music off but that then meant i kept getting attacked with no warning so maybe I'll turn it back on for the game.

I'm surprised they've used a different engine for this as it's basically reskinned dishonored.. everything is that same but in a different font.. except the stamina bar which looks like they let the work experience kid programme it.

It's almost unplayable on the PS4 it feels so sticky.. the Gloop gun and the wrench are almost unaimable.. I also had a problem in the opening level where I'd messed around with the computer and when I jumped down again the stairs where gone and there didn't seem to be anyway to get back up again.

It has the same stylised charater design as Dishonored but somehow looks like a 90s pc game.. all flat textures and stuff.. I'm probably still in as I believe they've fixed the input settings on PS4.. but it didn't grab me like I expected..
  • Needs more headcrabs.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Bethesda's rep couldn't be lower right now.

There's a fair few people angry that Human Head's Prey 2 got cancelled. Apparently, according to the internet, they deliberately starved and bankrupted HH, then gave the IP to Arkane.

Plus, Bethesda and, in particular, their parent company Zenimax are seen as overly litigious - the Scrolls lawsuit, the Oculus lawsuit etc.

Their most recent games have had some major Internet hate thrown their way - Fallout 4, in particular.

And then there's the aforementioned lack of review code to game reviewers which started prior to Dishonored 2 and DOOM.

Now, a lot of that is Internet anger - but it's actually pretty prevalent. Check out the Prey 2 gameplay vid on YouTube and it's just people bitching on Bethesda.

On the plus side - both D2 and Prey got decent demos, so it's not all bad.

They're right dicks now.
  • I'm tempted not to give them any of my money again. Cunts.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My copy has arrived, as has MK on Switch. Sigh.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    My copy has arrived, as has MK on Switch. Sigh.
    Is it out today?
  • Bob wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    My copy has arrived, as has MK on Switch. Sigh.
    Is it out today?

Yep,picking up my copy later. Really looking forward to a solid FPS campaign after playing Zelda, MK and Mass Effect so heavily recently.
  • First reviews now out for this - ACG loved it.

And it seems that it's running beautifully on PC, at least at this stage.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah, Mack from Worth a Buy was gushing about it on PC. I really really (No, Haak you REALLY!) can't justify this at the moment when I have Zelda, MK, Borderlands 2 and Diablo 3 on the go. 

Sad face! :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!