Prey - System Shock meets Metroid by Arkane
  • If I wasn't enjoying Mass Effect Andromeda so much right now  ( I know, right?) I'd be all over this too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • System Shock, deus ex? The idle thumbs basicalled this the looking glass aesthetic game for 2017. Thief maybe or doom 3?

There's a lot of Looking Glass references in this game - it wears its influences on its sleeve.
  • 2 hours in, its sublime. My class is all over the place really, trying not to be my usual gung-ho class but it's not easy. Still jump at mimics far too often.
  • Oh this is brilliant. Haven't felt like this about a game for a while. Probably since Dishonoured 2.

Unfortunately I did run into a massive performance issue (PS4).

(Spoiler is very early on in game)
    Spoiler:
    the frame rate dipped to a game breaking 10ish fps
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Prey speedruns are already going in hard.

Current time for Any%? 12 minutes 46 seconds.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Jaysus Cristo
  • three1ne wrote:

Unfortunately I did run into a massive performance issue (PS4).

(Spoiler is very early on in game)
    Spoiler:
    the frame rate dipped to a game breaking 10ish fps

That section is a bitch.
    Spoiler:
  • This game. Seriously this game. F'in awesome. Only another 2 hours tonight but man,
    Spoiler:
  • Agreed. I cooled off a tiny bit on it last night but it's still great.

An RPS Recommended, also:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/
    Prey is brilliant, and it’s still great right up until moments before its end. Although it’s gently less brilliant as it goes on. It’s really hard to write this sentiment without it sounding more negative than it should be, but it’s essential for capturing the nature of the game. Visual demonstration: I’m holding my hand high above my head – the game starts here. Now my hand’s just above my head – and finishes here. The further you go, the less special its nature starts to feel, the more normal (where “normal” is classic games with which we’re familiar) it becomes. At the start it’s this sprawling, messy, Metroidy exploration, scrappily surviving against increasingly large and powerful enemies. By the later stages, when you’ve opened up most of the station, it’s much more about slogging from one place to the next in order to have some more targeted fun. Combat remains tricky, and my technique of daftly lugging two turrets (only able to hold one at a time) with me into big fights stood me until the end, even when I was replete with super-abilities – but it’s still easier to survive. At a certain point you’re checking off quests from the list before it ends, and things start to feel like a great but familiar game, rather than a really great and surprising game.

I’m so delighted to have had those first dozen hours. It’s so, so long since a big budget game has felt so fresh, so inspired, so imaginative with the building blocks of Looking Glass’s legacy. And I’m very pleased to have had the rest (but for the final five minutes), possibly about 30 hours or so in total.

Prey is a game that’s smart about almost every aspect of itself, and yet with that, so crucially modest. It doesn’t yank the camera from you, doesn’t force you to sit through cutscenes, doesn’t demand you sit still and listen to its backstory. It’s content to be itself and let you find it, which is a damned rare treat in this hobby. Even more amazingly, for all its array of abilities and powers, you can finish the game without touching them, perhaps even find a narrative rationale for doing so. It lets you improvise, explore, make big decisions without needing to tell you they’re big. And yes, it absolutely does let you turn into a cup.
  • One thing I love about this game is how hands off it is, and how it treats the player as intelligent. It gives you hints about how to open safes and doors, and then lets you work it out - 99% of other games would have a Navi equivalent saying "let's go to that place now and do that thing with that thing".

Prey forces you to actually read the emails and listen to the audio logs, because they contain actual useful information.

And the organic layout of the space station means you can have platforms separated by large open spaces, because they've already given you the GLOO cannon which, when it's not foaming enemies or sealing pipes is a portable
    Spoiler:
    I can't think of a game which wouldn't tutorialise that - saying "ok, now use the gloo gun to
    Spoiler:

The game assumes you are paying attention and rewards you for it.

My thoughts seem to be the exact same as RPS thus far - starts incredible, then falls to merely great! And that's cool, but I really hope people play this - not just because it is great, but because it's also weird and inventive and smart, and it empowers the player by not infantilising him or her.

It really really is the first game I've played since Metroid Prime to feel like Metroid Prime. And it's also a Looking Glass game.

It's terrifying and tense and frustrating and imperfect, but there hasn't been a game like it in a decade or more. Buy it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Metroid Prime mentions got me all excited, its being bought this week.
  • I know how to hype.

Also, I fucking love Metroid Prime.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That demo though. The moment when:
    Spoiler:

had me sold. 

Also yes Metroid Prime is legit the best. I had a copy of it for two weeks before I got my Cube, first thing I played and Double Dash had to wait two weeks til I was done. Would kill for a non-waggle mega HD remaster.

Phendrana is glorious.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You can smash through the fish tank (it's a hologram obvs) and crawl through that to get out instead of the bay windows i found out.

Admittedly because I wanted to see if i could kill the fish.
  • Should we be spoilering
    Spoiler:
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Should we be spoilering...?

Can do. I'll go back and spoiler mine just in case, but the game does tell you as soon as you get it that it can do that. But yeah, I'll edit.
  • If Bollockoff is playing this then all bets are off spoiler wise
  • Cinty I only realised that the gloo gun can
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nah i'm just a demo boy for now shabs. Everyone will be spoiling me.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cinty I only realised that the gloo gun can
    Spoiler:

Haha, that's when I actually twigged it too, but the game had told me earlier. I love how the game expects you to observe and learn.

Edit:

I assume we're thinking of the same place.
  • My fav game in many a year. Love.

Was wondering around for a litrle while wondering how to approach a situation and guess what... No reminders or tutorials on how I should be doing it. No path finders. Nothing.

Perfect.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ok this is being splurge bought when i get back to da uk.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You all have 2 weeks.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bought, installing.

I will fulfil bollo's role in this thread.
  • I just wanna go home and immerse myself in it again.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Was wondering around for a litrle while wondering how to approach a situation and guess what... No reminders or tutorials on how I should be doing it. No path finders. Nothing.

Yup. It's refreshing as hell.
    Verecocha wrote:
    I just wanna go home and immerse myself in it again.

Agreed. And yet once I actually play it I find it an incredibly stressful experience. I suck at kinda scary fps games.
  • Dudes. Play system shock 2 it is so wonderfully good. (But also clunk as fuck)
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Bastards!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!