PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    C2B9qLXUsAAwHJz.jpg

Featuring a unique multiplayer fighting sport that lets you trade blows using extendable weaponised arms, this game includes elements of both boxing and shooting games, plus an all-new cast of characters.[/font][font=proxima-nova-condensed, ]The player holds one Joy-Con in each hand and throws left and right punches at the opponent. Characters can jump and dash, and players can bend their punches by twisting their hands as they swing. One of the biggest features is the ability to equip two types of customisable ARMS per fighter. These ARMS range from standard gloved ARMS to curved weapons like boomerangs. Each arm has a special attribute like fire, ice or electricity that activates when delivering a charge punch.[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova-condensed, ]As players fight through the game, they will rack up in-game currency that can be used in ARM Getter mode to win new ARMS for their fighters. This fast-paced game can be played in 1-v-1 matches or even 2-v-2* for more entertainingly chaotic battles.

CHARACTERS: 

Byte & Barq
    Helix
    Master Mummy
    Mechanica
    Min Min
    Ninjara
    Ribbon Girl
    Spring Man
    Twintelle

32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

ARMS releases on June 16

TESTPUNCH: 
    May 27 / 28
    June 3/4
  • Oh FFS two threads?

Hyped. This might be the game that nudges me over the line to finally buy a switch.
  • I like dynamite ready's thready because its formatted
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Argh! Reg!...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • PICK YOUR FIGHTER

REG
    CLASSIC REG
    MOONFACE REG
    REG REG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fucked it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sink this shit
  • twitter tells me h is all about that thicc life
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Twintelle 4 life
  • I like this thread the best. Kill the other one.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm not bloody minded...

Now it's nearly finished, and Nintendo look like they've wedged so much stuff into the release, this looks like an excellent game. The subtleties are beginning to appear too.

If you can cancel out opposing punches, then throw escapes are bound to be a thing.
    And if there are weight based counters, then there will be elemental counters too (ice will diffuse fire and explosive punches, etc).

There are also a surprising number of movement options amongst the characters...
    Virtual On was never as detailed as this in that regard. Turns out that some stages also provide custom movement boosts too (like the trampoline and snake boards).

This game isn't about frame data, and hitstun...

This one's all about spatial awareness. Tbf, all other fighting games are too, to some degree, but this appears to place a very high value on 3D space.

And if all reports are correct, motion controls will be essential, as they will give you more control over attacks (think curveballs, not combos)...
  • Scent of Power Stone.

Top tier will be whoever has the best divepunch.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm maining either noodle girl, snake boy, or the fed.

All the characters look better than anything Capcom have done in years though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I like the aztec one.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hopefully you can change Ryu's Colgate hairstyle.

• Plenty bunnyhopping.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. Some of the early top flight stuff I've seen features those two. If it's Mov and Abadango as I think it might be, the Min Min player has a preference for close quarters, as I've been keen to see, and the Helix player is very fond of using the shield to disguise attacks.

As Escape rightfully picked out in the Switch thread, there's a lot of jumping about before anyone lands a punch, but that's just spacing, I'd say.

What I have liked at this level, as early as it's been, is the precision, and speed of reactions when both players are close, whether some one is defensively trying to escape a bad position, or attacking and trying to push someone into a corner.

I think this will be very interesting as a tournament game. But I think I'd appreciate that side a lot more, once I try it out.
  • I would get this if Ninty sorted out online chat and stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    In fact, that was exactly the same collection of fights I watched.
    The come back and timeout in the first set at around 6:00...

That was pretty cool...

Here's the full tournament for the record.
    There's a list of fights in the comments somewhere:

@Elf - Yeah. The phone app thing is dumb, no matter how it's sliced.
  • I'm in! Day one! Maybe
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Scent of Power Stone.

Top tier will be whoever has the best divepunch.

Definitely got that vibe the moment it was first shown. For me this was the stand out game since the first reveal. It looks really fun and inventive and there is a lot of scope for complexity. I also welcome it being not about combos and more about space control if that's were they are headed.

SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I propose this thread and the other thread have a fight to determine which is TEH THREAD.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If you want to see how a player can potentially pwn in this game, checkout the vid in my post above (http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1250651#Comment_1250651), and go to 4:06:20 in.

That Springman player must be a tester. 
    He picks out some cracking strikes.

He also cancels out at least two throws...

In the following round, there's also a really, really smart exchange where both players cancel out three or 4 punches in a row, at point blank range (not long after 4:09:10 somewhere).
  • I've changed my mind, I like the other thread best.
  • What we need to do is just pick a thread and post in it, ignoring the other. No cross-posting.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Great suggestion!
  • Let's have a third thread where can debate the relative merits of these two threads and decide once and for all.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Let's have a third thread where can debate the relative merits of these two threads and decide once and for all.

To Arms!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Escape did you just argue "if you change the entire front end and aesthetic of the game it wouldnt be as good"

That it would be as good. But people are less wary of it because of how it looks and who it's from. Monkey Ball was incredibly simple (counting it as an adopted Nintendo game), but controlled with such immediacy; the Mario 64 of orbs. Tons of analogue nuance with just one button (a few for billiards) gave it a totally skills-based multiplayer. The best player on any given day usually won.

But Arms is a fighting game, and those used to the current ones are looking for a level of depth and meta that it seems to fall short on. Fightans without rewarding mechanics are soon abandoned. Arms has interesting mechanics, but if they're exploitable and flaky then it'll be exclusively for the faithful.

To be labelled one of the best motion controlled games ever, so early on, is hugely promising.

It's a very personal, I know, but I hate motion-controlled games. And because fast one-twos register as throws, the Pro must be the best controller. Unless they've deliberately hobbled it to force MC as the premier option.

I'd like to see some known fightmen playing it. Daigo'll rate anything for a few yen these days. It looks fun to actually control, I just sense that that's wasted on subpar mindgames.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If this game ends up collecting a 10, I won't be shocked...
  • If this game ends up collecting a 10, I won't be shocked...

I think you're a bit overexcited. It'll get a 9 here and there and mostly 8s. That's my prediction.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
‹ Previous123456720

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!