Stocks and Shares (updated)
  • Good old India. The bulk of my portfolio has gone up around 30% in the last couple of weeks.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You're very welcome, please come again
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm thinking about starting a B&B share group. Just throwing it out there to see if there's any interest (boom,boom) at all. 

It'll be a collective affair and will initially require some trust on your part. It's mainly a bit of fun that should hopefully reap some rewards over time. We'll need to establish some rules and stuff but if I get enough aye's I'll start sorting it out. The aim is to use our collective wisdom to our collective advantage. We'll need at least £500 to get it going so I reckon ten aye's at £50 each. If there's major interest the pot will grow. I think it might be a good learning experience for all. 

PM if interested. If I get 9 (plus me) we can start to debate THE PLAN. I personally think we should put 50% in a low cost FTSE tracker and be a bit more daring with the other half, and given the nature of the forum that might be tech related.

Update:

Right, looks like this thing is going to happen so here's some useful links;

Investment Calculator - Play around with this!. Typical tracker pays around 10-11%, and if you invest £100 a month for 30 years or so you might be pleasantly surprised. Try the lump sum one too. This is at the very heart of what any long term investment is about - the snowball effect of compound interest. You'll quickly see that investing more now will reap big later on.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/stocks-shares-isas - Read plz. The growth of low cost platforms is what makes self investing suddenly very attractive (and rubbish interest rates). 

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/index.html - Useful general financial stuff.

http://www.investopedia.com/ - All sorts of stuff in here, tutorials, videos, definitions etc. Don't go too deep, the whole idea behind this endeavour is to learn as we go.

Don't be put off by financial jargon. We'll be looking to invest long term, and common sense alone will get you far.

Did this happen and what was the result in the end?
  • It was a nice time to buy but the logistics weren't great. It was mainly to show how the process worked and get people thinking about saving efficiently over long periods of time. Ultimately it was going to prove boring because what you should do is pick good long term stocks and do very little.
  • Based on recent chat, put it all in on kababs. You'll make a killing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well you may kill someone. DS probably.
  • That's fine guys, pls invest all ur money on kebabs, I have not not taken out a fake life insurance policy on DS and am definitely not not insuring against it paying out with AIG a la the sub prime mortgage scandal. 

I call it the sub prime meat scandal instead. It's totally different, and totally not a scandal.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It was a nice time to buy but the logistics weren't great. It was mainly to show how the process worked and get people thinking about saving efficiently over long periods of time. Ultimately it was going to prove boring because what you should do is pick good long term stocks and do very little.

Reading the Naked Trader by robbie burns. I like his idea of investing theoretical money in companies over a 6-12 month period to get a better understanding of how the market operates. Especially when you have no spare money to risk.

Sadly, no advice on kebabs in the book.
  • Batten down the hatches. It's a matter of how long, not when, the next crash is going to be. I'm going for six months next Tue because why not. Time to buy the shiny stuff.
  • What are your recommendations?
  • Batten down the hatches. It's a matter of how long, not when, the next crash is going to be.

Yup.
  • There's always good stuff to buy during a really juicy crash, just Google it. If you have the stomach, tobacco always does well and is dependably good through good and bad. Not my cup of tea, the cancer sellers. Shiny stuff does well, metals. Cash is fine as long as the bank doesn't go under.

I should point out there are plenty who think there are rosier times ahead, but those personal debt levels are ridiculous, and stocks are arguably way too high just now, so it's not the best mix.
  • Glad I finally got round to shifting all of my accounts away from RBS.
  • A hard Brexit should make problems exponentially worse for us Brits. Good times ahead then.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Are shinies likely to drop before the crash, because they are still relatively high now aren't they?
  • They are high but then again everything is high. Bad interest rates have pushed everything up. They might drop but I'd be surprised if they did given the clouds on the horizon.
  • I've had money invested in apple stock since I worked there. Not loads by any stretch, but I put the whole 10% of my monthly pay on it and got 7 shares left before the 7-1 split (sold some for a new computer but that's about it). It was a good scheme that gave you the lowest price in 6 months, and a discount on top.

Kind of like having money in $ amounts as the £ drops, but soon N. Korea will ruin that as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!