Everything but Call of Duty: WW2
‹ Previous123456714
  • [img]http://compass.xbox.com/assets/23/14/23147ba7-03d4-4f8a-8e05-df13b3e1cc6e.jpg?n=CODWWII_GLP-Page-Hero-1084_1920x600.jpg[\img] Disappointed there doesn't seem to be any excitement for this around here so I thought a thread might help.  COD2 on 360 was one of my favourite games ever and really introduced me to online play,regularly putting in 40-50 hours per week.  Since that highpoint I feel the series has declined with only a few lasting memories from COD4. Later games in the series haven't even caught my interest until now.  The announcement of a return to WW2 filled me with excitement as I dreamt of the potential to return to the good old days without any of the distractions of modern warfare.  For the first time ever,I preordered through the Xbox store to get access to the beta and after finally having a go earlier I'm not disappointed. The beta looks and plays exactly how I wanted and I can see this becoming a timesink.  Surely somebody else has fond memories of COD2 and can look forward to this? If you do and haven't preordered,I have two codes for beta access if you want to try it out. PM me.  Apologies if this posts badly,on mobile but will return later on PC and hopefully add some videos.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • This'll be the first CoD I'm gonna buy since Black Ops II.

A return to shooting Nazi's has been well overdue.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    23147ba7-03d4-4f8a-8e05-df13b3e1cc6e.jpg?n=CODWWII_GLP-Page-Hero-1084_1920x600.jpg

Fixed image link.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Played the beta for 10 mins and it was just more bad cod.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    A lot of people are saying how fresh it is to have a WWII shooter again, but I'm still tired of them and I never played any! Their rigid cadence is the problem for me, not the setting; that runaround bang-bang pace hasn't evolved. CoD is CoD is CoD.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    If I did buy it would only be for the campaign.  I did enjoy COD2, but for multiplayer I really cut my teeth on COD3.  Have some great memories of that, but it's not a style of game that can hold my attention for very long these days, in spite of the allure of a return to the original setting.  Mildly tempted...when it's cheap.
    Get schwifty.
  • Battlegrounds on the way, reckon most will head there.
  • I'll get it for the Campaign...every year!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm about three campaigns behind. Unsurprisingly, I'll pass.
  • From what I've heard, it's just CoD again, but with all the recent movement options gone. The big idea seems to be no health regen, with NPC's healing you instead.

It will need to show something big to get me back on board.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    I'll get it for the Campaign...every year!

The latest campaign was the nail on the coffin. Tripe.
  • Verecocha wrote:

I liked it!! The space combat was ace!
  • War as a roller coaster, just got to ride it.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

You think anything with space and guns is ACE though...

• Verecocha wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

You think anything with space and guns is ACE though...

SPACE AND GUNZZZZZZZZ!!

ACEZ!!!!!!
  • Right fuddermuckers, release is upon us and although I've failed to create an impressive thread the hype is reaching boiling point here. 
    I have to check if its a midnight unlock but either way I've taken tomorrow off to get stuck in. 
    Can I get a roll call of who else will be playing? Only other badger I've seen mention preorder was minky who I will make sure I have on my friends list.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Verecocha is normally all over cod
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I'll be jumping back in.

I'm on PS4, if there's enough interest on here I consider renewing Plus for some online MP.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I might play a wee bit - my son has a copy arriving tomorrow. It’ll have to be special to take me away from BF1 though. I’m likely to play the campaign if anything- can’t resist killing Nazis.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Verecocha is normally all over cod

Damn right!!! You know me so well! Holding off for the Scorpio on Tuesday to play it though. Looking forward to an aces CoD campaign!!!
  • Just me on my lonesome tonight then by the sounds of things. I'll update whenever I drag myself out of bed tomorrow then!
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Just me on my lonesome tonight then by the sounds of things. I'll update whenever I drag myself out of bed tomorrow then!

I certainly would like your opinion dude!
  • 222.5MB update. Not too bad for a day one patch I suppose.
  • Will be getting first thing Sat. I'm excited to go back to Ww2. I'm a sucker for Cod. I'm expecting to be disappointed.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • This is gonna be the same old shit of course, but if it gets an eight anywhere I may be a fool and try it. The last one was awful. Is it still Infinity Ward one year then Sledgehammer? Who even makes this game anymore? It's gonna be a bag of wank as there are no reviews yet lol.
  • Reviews are very good.

There are 3 teams that make it, the 3rd is Treyarch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • My plan was to give SP 2hrs then maybe 2hrs to MP but I ended up dragging myself away from the campaign just after 3:30am. 
    People probably know I've a big place in my heart for COD2, less so for 3 and W@W deserves an honourable mention but anything later on either never gripped me or I ignored completely. 
    The reveal of this changed everything and I dreamt of bygone days when practically every spare hour was put into playing COD2 (at the time I played more hours than I put into my full time job). The Beta cemented the hype in my mind and left me patiently waiting for midnight last night. 
    Anyway,I'm really just threading over old ground there and no doubt some people will dismiss COD for doing the same but not me. It's glorious. Its like someone has picked one of my favourite games to bring up to date on new hardware. Not a rerelease but a brand new, ground up imagining of everything that makes it special. 
    From the opening scenes, everything is there. The graphics look great(I'm sure someone will disagree but I hope the BoneX crowd are impressed at least),the tension and atmosphere as you approach the point where you're given control and then of course the panic as all hell breaks loose. It has that epic feeling about it. I'll leave the sound review to someone with a decent setup but I was not disappointed either with the TV reasonably low or when I plugged in a cheap pair of cans. 
    Onto the gameplay and of course I was grinning from ear to ear. I don't go into any specific detail but its all there. I've been running around fields, trenches, country roads, wherever hunting down the Germans in a khaki coloured world. Basically everything you can think of from COD2 is back with more and its turned up to 11. Whether its the M1Garand, PPSH, Grease gun, Panzerschrek, Scoped Kar98k or maybe the good old smoke grenades that appeal, you're not gonna be disappointed and even if you were, somebody chucks you the trusty pump-action combat shotgun along the way! ;) 
    The first thing that stood out of place for me though was medpacks. They weren't a thing before were they? I thought you regenerated health and the "Get to cover" message had me thinking I could and I spent a minute or two looking for the right kind of cover! From what I've played the packs are quite abundant and they're used to introduce the concept of squad abilities as your first teammate generates them over time for you to call for them. Other squad abilities I've seen are ammo supply, a spotter and a bloke that provides coloured smoke. All adding to the sense of camaraderie and immersion in the game. 
    Another thing that jarred a little at first was QTEs. I know they've been in previous but when I was first put on the spot, I was caught off guard by this iterations style of implementation and although I was killed first time, there is an almost instant reload to put you back in the fight. 
    There is also a strange story building section as well that really feels it doesn't belong while you're doing it but its not something I'm prepared to spend too much time on right now. Maybe next week badgers will have their say. 
    The final section of my session came up a little while after and it was the most frustrating. I'm not a big fan of tank warfare particularly in narrow streets where you need to out maneuver two enemy tanks and get numerous clean shots on their flanks. Its a bit like hide and seek, in a maze, while squinting. I didn't really get on with tanks in COD2 and I see it happening again here. One last go before bed got me over the hump but I already have a section I'm not looking forward to in subsequent playthroughs. 

So there you have it. My completely unbiased comments on the first couple of hours. Time to play some more.
  • I'm looking forward to this.

The Modern Warfares were great but Black Ops left me cold and I completely lost interest after that.

A return to WWII is exactly what I wanted.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm pretty sure CoD2 had medpacks, but it's been a long time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You won't be disappointed.
‹ Previous123456714

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!