PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nowt wrong with Perl.

Python is the tits. C is pretty cool, too. Just avoid Javascript like a healthy dose of the clap.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    ...Just avoid Javascript like a healthy dose of the clap.

Rofl!...

Why?

Edit - The way I see it, is that every language has a use until it's community dries up... At one time, Perl was the language of choice for scripting on Unix, and also the Apache webserver when that first came out. So communal support (and documentation, libraries, support and extensions) was assured. That's not the case now (there are plenty of linux shell scripting language options now, and PHP is all but a standard on Apache). A similar thing might be said for C++... Java's been eating into it's target community (high performance, cross platform enterprise users/teams) for years now. And Java happens to be easier to use (no platform specific rewrite, though you take a performance hit, right?).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Nice robot. But come on, what sort of nerd doesn't have USB cables of all possible lengths. 5m is silly.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I think the same point was made in the commentary if I'm not mistaken.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    So this week we've had the first year undergrads in and I've been demo'ing the PiBot- just to get them interested and hope they opt to order one for themselves and get into some programming / problem solving in their own time.

So we showed them it working with manual imputs and now we've got an ultrasonic sensor from the head and we demonstrated the code that allows it to roam based on sensor input. Finally we got them to consider the code it would need to drive in a square. By jove they got it right, forwards, rotate 90, loop. 

Went down pretty well too.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Reminds me of a BBC Micro and that pointing arrow thing I had in one of the classrooms when I was a nipper. Hehe.. now the arrow is a whole blinking robot..can't you stick a laser on it for Mars lander funtimes too. Would need a small atomic power station then too, get a smoke detector onboard an' all. 

Will have to chase up my mate and see if he has his Post Docs doing anything with them or wether he went back to just being locked in his lab.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hah! I believe the next steps are to connect a camera and get some computer vision going as well as a laser. But not like Curiosity's!

Aye be interested in what your man is doing. We did also have a presentation so showed them what others had been doing such as the super computer/cluster.

image002.jpg-1adf63916c66efb2.jpeg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Rofl!... Why? Edit [...]

It's just got some bizarre conventions, and it's really easy to get things wrong simply because you forgot to sacrifice a goat on the third Thursday of the month.

Don't confuse, JavaScript and Java, AFAIK they're not related in anyway, bar the name.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • So it seems like the latest build of Raspian boosts the performance of the Pi by 50%. It cranks the Pi up to 1ghz processing power whenever it needs to work that hard but then cuts back when the processor reaches 87 degrees. I'm going to reflash my SD card and see if it makes any change. They need to hurry up with the hardware acceleration.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • They need to hurry up with the delivery. I'm still waiting.
  • [img][/img]Anyone know if you can put films on the xbmc sd card or can they only be stored on a usb?
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Both mate - A bit more  http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_sources So just add the locale on the SDcard in.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Rofl!... Why? Edit [...]
    It's just got some bizarre conventions, and it's really easy to get things wrong simply because you forgot to sacrifice a goat on the third Thursday of the month. Don't confuse, JavaScript and Java, AFAIK they're not related in anyway, bar the name.

I like JavaScript alot... Duck typing can be a nasty thing, but the language has many decent features... Lambda calculus for one, which even Python doesn't quite do properly. Variable scoping also feels very well thought out, and at an advanced level, you find that the care that you have to take to address unexpected cases, is certainly comparable to the care that you have to take in the pre-production work necessary for programming in a strongly typed language...

That said, I'd learnt basic coding with duck type languages, so I'm biased.

But yeah... I'm real keen on learning Python, C (partly why I want to get a PI, as it goes... A buffer overflow means much less on a £30 system), and am also quite interested in the ideas behind Clojure, Scala and Ruby (in that order), but that's mainly curiosity... The first two though, I'm very keen on.
    beano wrote:
    Hah! I believe the next steps are to connect a camera and get some computer vision going as well as a laser. But not like Curiosity's! Aye be interested in what your man is doing. We did also have a presentation so showed them what others had been doing such as the super computer/cluster. 
    OMG! : D

11 week waiting list though, innit? : P
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah think some people are getting told 13. I'd deffo put an order in now if you want one for around xmas / new years.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    But yeah... I'm real keen on learning Python...

Python is immense. Most fun language I've played with. I thought that "white space being important" would annoy me, but it makes sense. It's easily the most human-readable language out there.

In other news, what's a "duck language"?
  • Duck typing - if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Whether your program works or not depends on what methods your are calling on what entities, not necessarily the class of those entities. The compiler won't complain if you call a method on a class that doesn't have it. It will just crash at runtime.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    In other news, what's a "duck language"?

One that has trouble 'floating'...

I'll get my coat... : P

edit - Seriously though, what Monkey said, but simply put, it's the difference between scientific precision, and artistic inference. There are great benefits to both approaches. You wouldn't want to write a 3D engine in a duck type language, for example, but you might want to script NPC behaviour in one...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, I see. I like it. :)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    isanbard wrote:
    Reminds me of a BBC Micro and that pointing arrow thing I had in one of the classrooms when I was a nipper.

They still use a floor path following robot, it's called The Mouse or something like that. The missus was using them the other year, looks like something straight out of 1985.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That sounds fucking amaze.

The demo went down so well the students actually applied logic that they 'learned' (about loops) in another session later the same day. So I am impressed with the work we did.

The uni have asked to film the demonstration we did. Naturally I went to David and told him, hoping he'd do it as it is his PiBot and I was only filling in with someone else. Somehow I am still doing it. Although it's one of many personal goals to raise awareness of the school and doing this is exactly that, even though it's a bit hard to quantify my participation past youtube views. I hate being on camera.
  • My Pi has now been despatched apparently. I placed the order on the 29th June.

Suppose I'd better order an SD card and some cables. God knows what I'm going to do with it now though. Since I ordered it I've bought an Apple tv for media streaming, set up an old laptop as a file server at home, and I've just ordered a PSP1000 off Amazon which will be my emulation machine. 

I'm thinking robots.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    psp1000 amazon
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Hmm, I appear to be still partly asleep.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I'm thinking robots.

If you build anything, we demand pictures.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    You can always go the complete knobhead route like wot I did and flog it on ebay.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So what's the crack with this then?

Order one from RS, stick an SD card from Amazon in and use a micro USB phone charger for power?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Answer my question you beardy open source wankers.
  • Haha, yeah it seems so. My bro got one recently, using it as a media hub.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yeah you're right.

Plus stuff you're likely to have already - keyboard, mouse and HDMI lead.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!