War(T)Frame
‹ Previous123456724
  • So I watched a review, it inspired me to try it, and there's clearly some meat here.

https://youtu.be/0vuJitrbTFY

New open world expansion coming...

https://youtu.be/dHaOYUiEEO0

I'm an under qualified OP, but the gist is:

F2p 3rd person shooter/Loot em up. Out on pc, bone and ps4.

If you are on pc and want to use controller, the support is ok. A little flakey at the start and the look sensitivity needs to drop, A LOT.

The pay model is reportedly very fair, and certainly there's buckets to do and try without paying a dime.

Comparisons to destiny are easy to make.

Loot and upgrading and material collection in warframe is infinitely more complex than destiny. Even d1 at its most opaque.

Possibilities for builds and customisation is equally more complex.

Graphically, it's pretty darn lovely. Character design is mental.

Gun play and enemy Ai is a lot rougher than d2. You can do some cool stuff, but there's none of the rhythm and heft and hit reactions like in destiny. (in combo with far less aim assist, you have some messy shooting.)

I'm using a bow as my primary though, and when you pin a guy to a wall, particularly from the hip, it's pretty fucking spectacular.

Not much in the way of pvp, looks like there's plenty of options for pve though.

As far as mod systems and customisation goes, anyone who plays, please add thoughts and links to helpful stuff.

I'm on pc. (does account cross over? I'll check.)

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Loot and upgrading and material collection in warframe is infinitely more complex than destiny. Even d1 at its most opaque.

Well that's me out.
  • The twin humanities podcast have fallen in love with it.
    I've played about 8 hours so far and it has some interesting concepts and a lot of grinding and customisation.
    The general shooting is solid and graphically it's nothing amazing.
    Ingesting to see how much free you get for your money. Happy to spend a tenner on it if it provides enough entertainment value.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Has this not been out for literally years?
  • Yep, but it's received something like 20+ major content updates which have changed lots of parts of it, and the core game is now utterly huge, most people who play it say it's night and day from its original inception.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hmm, think I have it on Steam but never played.
  • Should have mentioned in op. Yes it's been out years. And that review, the guy did what I did. Tried it when he got his ps4(I tried it on bone) and thought it was meh.

New expansion seems exciting, and as I say, so far the free stuff is pretty cool.
  • I am tempted to give it a shot when I have nothing else on. So like, when I'm dead?
  • What does the T mean?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Its an arse. (T)

War Arse Frame
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the fact that there is no narrative and that levels are algo-generated. I haven't listened to all of it but it comes across as a long term thing - something you could play for years. In many ways that's a modern extrapolation of old non linear arcade games like Asteroids mixed up with Rogue. More tricks to learn and more things to find out about.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Its an arse. (T) War Arse Frame

I ain't gettin' on no frame.
  • Wtf, Dante, wtf.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I played the intro. I didn't like it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Wtf, Dante, wtf.

Warthog? Hogs of Wart? Wart is it good for, huh?!
  • Ghah, so you can transfer accounts from pc to bone and vice versa, but it's not a universal login.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Huh. I've played some of this today and it seems pretty cool. There's a bewildering amount of stuff to mod/craft and abilities etc. Had no idea where to start but I just found tutorials as I logged off so I'll have a peek next time.

I like the movement, although going into a slide when I just want to crouch seemed problematic.

Seems really polished when you compare it to other ftp MMOs.
  • It's quite touchy about walking or running, so if you're going too fast it slides. Same with aiming down sights, move too fast and you drop out.

Not sure if I'm missing settings.

The bow is amazing. Pinning dudes is just incredible.

Already getting samey, but we'll see how new perks work.
  • Ooh, turns out I can up a few of the graphical wiz bang buttons. Cool.

Some missions definitely need a fireteam. Gotta work out how to join other games now.
  • Downloaded and had a half hour blast through the tutorial the other day after watching the YouTube vid that face posted the other day.

Well polished, bewildering with both breadth and depth by the looks of the crafting and modding menus. As face says, the bow is just great. As with Destiny, it looks like the most benefit is gained from belonging to fire teams and clans and running with a group. Friendship is after all, the best exotic drop in these games....

I’m not adverse to FTP mechanics, and am very happy to pay for a game that is enjoyable and well constructed. A little research online shows that the FTP model in this seems to be well respected. Grind if you want to, pay if you don’t (but both methods are valid. To equate to D2, you would for example pay to buy Nameless Midnight, Merciless or an armour set, but all drop within the game if you wish to run the missions).

Recommended for now. Would be great if we could get Clueless on this as well as a diversion to Destiny stuff.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah it's a great old game. Moved from the Xbox version to PC to get the most out of it. The community is apparently fantastic on PC!
  • Comunity was always great on ps4 when i played it at the start of the ps4.
    Not been back but iv seen some vids that suggest my old frames are worth a fair bit now there no longer available.

May dip back in again at some point although i got lost in a sea of menus last time i went back.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah it's a great old game. Moved from the Xbox version to PC to get the most out of it. The community is apparently fantastic on PC!

Line up won't happen often, but if I see you on, I'll holler.
  • Update for Fields isn't that big. 4 gig or so.

Need to find a clan I think, a clan for noobs.

Did extraction mission, left myself public.

It was chaos. Good, and I levelled heaps, but chaos. Appears a lot of the missions are very firefighty/waves, leave when you want, sorta. 

Had no idea what was happening, but there was a bunch of other dudes and their companions making areas look like a d2 public event for 15 minutes.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Took a while, but i finally 'get' this game. And i say 'get' in the loosest possible fashion because it is ridiculously complex, with no real way-in other than Youtube videos and Wiki pages galore. 

If you like a good grind...look no further!
  • Heh, yes. Need to get back to it. What's the open world like?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm not experienced enough to knock the tile-based procedural levels, but the open world is quite the palette-cleanser.

*edit* Okay now i've seen a few more planets and how varied they are, i am very impressed. Indoors, outdoors this game is fantastic!
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Just purchased a fresh frame and forged a couple of new weapons for when Gonzo realises he should be playing this and we'll both be low level. Nothing worse than being carried through a game like this. The discovery is the best part.
  • Downloaded this today, seems fun.
    Obviously doesn't have the polish of the likes of Destiny but certainly fills the gap left in the market now everything is AAA or Indie.

I will put a few more hours in before deciding but I could see myself spending a bit of money on it.
  • I love the movement the run/slide/leap/shoot thing is great.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Once you get used to the L1, X, X, L1 (as you land) infinite, you can literally fly around the levels at breakneck speed.
‹ Previous123456724

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!