Friends Helping Friends (Our Boy Tempy)
‹ Previous123456720
  • So here we are again. As I'm sure most people are aware, Our Boy Tempy has been struggling to find solid work for quite some time now and it seems to be getting to the point where he is also finding it difficult to ensure he has enough money to pay for rent and living expenses each month. He's managed to get an interview for a dream job on the 13th of Feb but the train ticket required has put a sizable dent into what funds he does have. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for him with the job but we all know that even if (read: when) he's successful there can still be a long period between "you've got the job!" and first paycheck. All of this I can't abide and so I would like to do a ring around with anyone who is willing to make sure that there is one less thing for Tempy to worry about at least for the short term. I'm sure, like anyone would, he'd be against the idea but, like Gav, it's just because he's too darn nice. If anyone is keen you can send money through Paypal to [email protected] and I will forward the money on as necessary. Tempy, you don't get a choice in this, sorry, so if you need a certain amount of money at a certain date (for rent or whatever) then let me know. Otherwise I'll probably let it run for a week or so or, like last time, wait until people hit pay days they'd like to donate on. And if you want to spend it all of GW figures then that's fine too because it's all about what will make you happy, buddy.
    So lately there's been a few instances of forumites needing a little bit of help and the rest of us being rather willing to chip in some cash to get them through the tough times.

I figured it might be a good idea to have a thread for it that can be called upon if need arises. Hopefully not too frequently.

As most know, Gav was let go from his job recently and as some may not know he has a holiday booked at the end of this month. I thought we could pool together some spending money for him so that he can have a proper holiday, or at least one good blow out night where he doesn't have to worry about cash. I know he's going to be against the idea but that's just because he's too darn nice.

I'm happy to put up my Paypal account for it as I just figured out you can have separate balances in your account for different currencies so should be able to do it all without any conversion loss.

Anyone who is willing to put in some money, send it through to [email protected] and I'll forward it on in a week or so.
  • I did not know someone was dumb enough to not want Gavin. Fuck em.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message

Brooks' favourite.
  • I'm happy to put up my Paypal account for it as I just figured out you can have separate balances in your account for different currencies so should be able to do it all without any conversion loss.

Thanks for doing this Shabs.

There shouldn’t be Paypal fees involved, but there might be. Their wording is that there are no fees if sending within the UK. I can’t find any details of what fees might be levied though. (Their help pages say ‘click the ‘fees’ link at the bottom of any page’ … but there is no ‘fees’ link at the bottom of any page I’ve been on.)

FYI, I got charged 25p for sending from a bank account. Would have been over a quid if sending from a debit/credit card.

When sending money, it defaults to sending in Aussie Dollah because that’s Shabby’s default currency. Everyone remember to switch that to GBP via the dropdown and we should be golden.

Thanks again Shabby.
  • Sweet, thanks pop. And yeah now I have a GBP account set up it should be minimal fees.
  • Saw the OP just as I was settling down to sleep last night, and after panicking about guilt, feeling uncomfortable about it all, and just being a bit embarrassed it's come to this, I can see it for what it is and I'm incredibly thankful towards Shabs for even thinking about doing such a thing.

And to anyone else who decides to punt cash in, i can't thank you enough either.

This place (whilst other threads right now don't show it) is really special and we do all care about one another. Nothing quite like it.

Again. Thank you.
  • Good for you, Gav. 

Is there a way to contribute that doesn't involve Paypal?  Or can I send to a Paypal account from outwith Paypal?  In theory I have a Paypal account but I only set it up to buy a camera from Hong Kong five years ago and haven't used it since.
  • Nicely done Shabby :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Ima sticky this for a few days.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yup. Preeetty sticky up in here.
  • I’ll ping some cash over on payday next Wednesday.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hush Griff.

Will tuppence do Gav
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'll put in when it's payday, but that's not for another two weeks sadly.
  • Will also put in on payday, I like Gav, he has balls.
  • Could have sworn I'd posted in here already. Absolutely!

@Unlikely sorry, you can pay out of a PayPal account to someone without one, but not in. Possibly money laundering/source of funds related.
  • I can definitely get behind this. Only a Tenpee fee for me. Have a good holiday Gav!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I will offer some money but only if Gav promises to waste it on booze and/or drugs.
  • I'm a just walk to shabs place and give him money.

Unlikely, you should do the same.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Thanks to those that have sent money already and to those that are planning on in the coming weeks. I'll figure out the best time to forward it on to Gav which will just depend on when his holiday starts.
  • Payday a week on Friday, I'll chuck a few bob in then.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Thank you everyone, so much. Means the world.
    Could have sworn I'd posted in here already. Absolutely!

Caught up on what you've been through recently and I feel horrible and utterly embarrassed taking anything from you mate. Seriously, you don't need to. Focus on yourself and if there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.
    Yossarian wrote:
    I will offer some money but only if Gav promises to waste it on booze and/or drugs.

Noted.
    Webbins wrote:
    Payday a week on Friday, I'll chuck a few bob in then.

Please, do not send me Bob.
  • Are there 400 Bobs in a Chalice, or is my math(s) wrong?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Correct, no gaping hole to worry about.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • There are few positives about being seriously ill Gav, but one of those is gaining pin sharp clarity about what is truly important in life.

Friends that you can talk to that don't judge and value you for who you are not what you are, or what you have are one thing. Being able to experience things, whether that be holidays, the world at large in general, meals, drinks, games, being chased through the woods whilst dressed as red riding hood is another. There are many more, and maybe I'll expand on those another day when I'm not contorted over a phone keyboard.

Mate, it would be a pleasure to at least bung you enough to buy a round. I can assure you that you aren't depriving me of anything. If anything knowing that you'll enjoy a drink on me (umbrella in it naturally) will make me very happy.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Well said. I'll be in for next Wed.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Indeed. You're a big brave beautiful bastard, Most.

Thanks from the bottom of my sweary heart, everyone.
  • being chased through the woods whilst dressed as red riding hood is another.

So, what, this is just going to pass unnoticed is it?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I was searching online for a wolf costume.
‹ Previous123456720

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!