Let's Offroad! - Mudrunner and Snowrunner
‹ Previous12345678
  • Spintires-MudRunner-Cover-678x381.jpg

For years I ignored the random ramblings of my wise old daddy; 'Son, your life will have no meaning until you follow your calling and become an extreme Russian log haulier.'  I laughed at his vodka fueled fancy, until I came across Spintires on the PC and began to see the light.  However I had no PC, they are for spreadsheets and graphs, I am a console gamer, so back I crawled to my mundane real life.  What joy I experienced then, when Spintires: Mudrunner was announced for the consoles (and spreadsheet machines), and now it is here and it is real and good.

It doesn't have Forza Horizon's speed or pizazz, this isn't racing, this is logging, in a multitude of the Soviet Union's finest off roading hardware.  The mud is thick and consuming, the rivers are deep and the mountains are high.  If I can't capture the feels then I hope Simon and Lindsay can... and a trailer.

It's gripped! It's sorted! Let's off road!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Game rocks. You realise it'll just be us two in here though? That's fine though, I've never liked any of them anyway.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    j7bvgw.jpg

Whoops.

abnz8n.png

Whoops.

2gy6o1i.png

Whoops.

f4pwt3.png

Game is really good looking considering its only 1.1gb. The lighting and atmosphere at night is superb. Bits remind me of Trials, you really have to be aware of traction and speed. Physics are superb.
  • That looks crazy.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Real time mud physics eh? Nah, you're alright.

Good OP though Webbins.
  • Aye. Top work.

Is there Ferraris in this?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    23r2v5h.png

My comrade Webski in a pickle. It's ok though, winched the fucker right back out.
  • How much dolla? I could be up for a blast.....
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Lots of dollars tbf. Only the true nerds off roaders need apply.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks great this.

What about this mode as DLC?

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not an ounce of mud or swamp in sight. Amateurs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love the artwork in that OP.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Does this have grenades?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I really like the look of this, but always wondered if I’d like the execution rather less than the idea.

I can’t really afford it just now, which rather solves that problem.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Does this have grenades?

Who needs grenades when you can accidentally winch your own truck into a fast flowing river during a rescue attempt?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FranticPea/video/38770476
  • COOL
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea wrote:
    23r2v5h.png

My comrade Webski in a pickle. It's ok though, winched the fucker right back out.

No no, it was fine, I was just resting my jeep on its side whilst I enjoyed the fabulous water physics.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    How much dolla? I could be up for a blast.....

£30 on disc, £35 digital, or a bit less if you blag some cheaper credit. Blast is probably not a term you would apply to this game though. It's as niche as quiche.
  • Saw this pop up on my dash, looks very interesting indeed. Is it basically a game about off-roading? As in driving big trucks into impossible off road situations then having to winch them out again? Like that odd hobby some of the farmer types round here have
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The basic premise is as simple as picking up and delivering logs from A to B, then multiple A' to B's on other maps. It's not as simple as that though. Varying conditions, day/night, certain roads with barriers that don't allow loaded trucks etc. Also, of course, mud. Lots of mud. Rapid rivers that WILL devour your cargo/truck/soul.

There's also the small matter of refueling. You can load up loads of different types of trailers and attachments. Garage tools to unlock other garage buildings that are on the map. Repair kits, fuel tanks etc. So you can plan in advance and haul some fuel closer to your route.

In multiplayer you can obviously split this stuff up between you, as well as rescue one another etc.

There's also a bunch of challenges that are really varied, and the achievements for this game are superb and make you want to actually aim for them. They're mini challenges in themselves.

Then there's hardcore mode where damage matters more and you have to use cranes to physically load the logs onto the trucks amongst other things.

When Webbles first told me about it I was all WTF. Then I watched some vids and was converted. It's so different to anything else, and seriously chilled. Well, until you get stuck/rolled/sunk/exploded.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oops.

m8d6k8.png

Game can look nice.

2cyse0.png

Refuel run.

250qeqf.png
  • I have the 'predecessor' to this (known as just Spintires) on PC, played it a fair bit solo, great fun.

Unfortunately due to publisher issues with the first game it seems to have been basically abandoned, so the additions with Mudrunners are in a seperate game rather than just included in an update, which is kind of bullshit. There is at least a loyalty discount on Steam for 50% off this, but I'm not that inclined to buy the same game again, might just wait for an uber sale.

If anyone happens to have the first one on PC then I would be well up for some MP though.
  • I am staggered it only comes in at just over a gig.  It looks good, OK the cockpits are not great but vehicle models are great.  It sounds good, it packs in a crazy amount of detail, oil on the water, black and white diesel exhaust plumes, and the mud and water physics are fantastic.
  • Download of assets post initial client download?
  • This game appeals to me, btw.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Would make me laugh if they did an X patch that took the 1.1gb install to 51.1gb :D
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Check this beauty out. PHWOAR!

nlexqe.png
    2d0ct35.png

Conditions: Not ideal.

10h85zt.png
  • nick_md wrote:
    Download of assets post initial client download?

I thought this too, but no.  I've played three co-op campaign maps with Franny and three from nine challenge maps and no prompts for extra downloads.  Witchcraft.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The thing I like most about this is the risk/reward to trying to (sometimes literally) cut corners. Driving takes time. More time than most would have the patience for. There's always a faster route though, but will it work? Will you need rescuing part way through, or even lose your load or truck?

Me and Webbins took an unknown route earlier, looking to save some time. The road was part submerged and it got really hairy at one point. We made it though, just. It was proper heart in mouth, tense stuff. I've no idea how a game about logging has managed it, but it has. It's ace!
  • Ha!  That flooded road of yours that turned into a plunge pool was awesome, my engine was taking on water.  Luckily piecing our way around worked out, tense.
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!