Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    On a sidenote why can't your friend use coinbank or similar and convert his bitcoins to pounds and transfer back into his bank account?!?

Tax implications I imagine. That's something near half a million quid at the minute, so even if he can get a decent price and doesn't get charged handling fees and whatever there's also the small matter of a 150k tax bill

Lucky for him he's from Gibraltar.

Also it's a lot of bitcoin to liquidate at once. The amount of bitcoin traded on exchanges is small relative to total in "circulation" (tags because God knows how much is hoarded by satoshi and peers, or lost and irrecoverable), even 50btc sold at once would probably cause a dip, so a sell order has to be structured etc. And then it's in the hands of a centralised exchange. They take a cut. They take their time settling.
  • @legal any thoughts on paypie(ppp), populus(ppt) and omiseGo (omg).
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I would expect it to cause a dip, but even in our pretty tiny community we've seen about £50k unrecoverable, so I definitely imagine that there's a fucktonne out there that will never turn up. That would artificially keep price slightly higher

Yeah release time and price actually offered if you can't be arsed to offload little at a time, which could hurt you as each offload will drop it a tiny amount
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • If you sell say 50 BTC at one go, is the sale price minus exchange costs fixed? Surely 50 BTC going through the block chain will take sometime to be processed and in real time as @legal said the price of bitcoin will drop due to the 50 BTC in the process of being sold?!?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    @legal any thoughts on paypie(ppp), populus(ppt) and omiseGo (omg).

My interest is in blockchain and smart contracts, bitcoin I know because it is the blockchain. Ethereum next. I knew about ripple, and personally I think the best crypto currency is bitcoin (store of value), lightcoin (means of transfer) and ether (functionality for public blockchain, in that order of confidence. I would stay the hell away from anything else. They're shitcoins. If you invest another 20 quid, just buy bitcoin. 1/5000 of a bitcoin is the same as 100 shitcoins, more likely to go up, as long as you sell before it crashes!
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    If you sell say 50 BTC at one go, is the sale price minus exchange costs fixed? Surely 50 BTC going through the block chain will take sometime to be processed and in real time as @legal said the price of bitcoin will drop due to the 50 BTC in the process of being sold?!?

It'll be instant if a single buyer buys all 50 of your coins, but most would set up a sell order at a certain amount, so really your 50 btc would go to 123 buyers or wotevs.

I have ZERO money in crypto btw, this is just general knowledge. You should probably pm the people who seem to have some eg EFifty
  • This is useful as well

DQmXPxWjdct8Vy1KRMaNGoEkLPXsRTrMQC5sMY8JuTcu7Wv_1680x8400
  • Lastly, this for anyone who does understand that the icons stand for

set-of-cryptocurrency-icon-vector-K9JHKW.jpg
  • 'kin hell, saturation?
  • Dogecoin my favourite.

Will splurge mine into goatsecoin in a heartbeat.
  • Again: inauspicious for fate of human species.
  • Bitcoin just passed £9,500. Expected to jump more on Dec 10th and Dec 18th when bitcoin is offically supported for trading on the future exchanges.
  • https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/research/centres/alternative-finance/downloads/2017-09-27-ccaf-globalbchain.pdf

A interesting read from Cambridge University about block chains. It's made me think though. The big banks could get together and offer their own cryptocurrencies for public use or for use by their customers only or between banks themselves (inter bank transactions).

Also if you a database wizz (ala @cocko) you could do quite well out of this for contract work if you tart your CV up with buzzwords for cryptocurrency related stuff. Just a thought.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Seriously the way my company count real money dollar pounds makes me think it might be a cryptocurrency

"Oh is that the sales, we need it to be a bit higher, can you make it bigger?"

"Yeah fucko, I can type that all the stores took 5 million each over black Friday if you want, ours only numbers"

UPDATE fact.Sales
    SET TenderValue = '9999.99'
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @dino In response to your thought, I think the answer is, 'why would they'? The systems they have in place already work fine.

Also I can guarantee that they are not going to bolt anything onto their existing systems that they don't have to. Under web based front ends, there is some seriously ancient systems and code.
  • @dino In response to your thought, I think the answer is, 'why would they'? The systems they have in place already work fine.

Also I can guarantee that they are not going to bolt anything onto their existing systems that they don't have to. Under web based front ends, there is some seriously ancient systems and code.

The linked pdf from Cambridge uni is interesting. It's mentioned in there that banks are doing tests on the distributed ledger technology / block chain and have multiple use cases other than currency. Some of these are listed by banks in the paper (without any banks being named).

Banks will adopt this technology at some point but we are easily looking at 10-15 years before they do. As with the Internet, private use and adoption will drive the public sector to use and adopt it. After all if it can be monetized....
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Well I ignored the crypto currency that by in large allows to make almost anonymous trades. As legaldinho pointed out its gonna come under regulation. Went with a punt on Ripple. It's slightly different in that some banks I.e. Santander and others are using it for international transactions. It's dirt cheap at present so well worth my £20 punt. I actually enjoyed the process as it's something new to learn.

I've help XRP for a while now and the price is so fucking stable lol! The return is still better than a Savings Account though. The aim is to get financial institutions to use XRP but right now they haven't adopted it's use yet.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Any thoughts on Neo?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Tax implications I imagine. That's something near half a million quid at the minute, so even if he can get a decent price and doesn't get charged handling fees and whatever there's also the small matter of a 150k tax bill

What are the parameters for cumulative withdrawals triggering the tax threshold?
  • Any thoughts on Neo?
    I think he's the one...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Can't take that away for free.
  • He's still the one I run to.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's not 10-15 years, blockchain is already being used across financial services. Small disruptor banks will find it easier to move but bigger banks will have the power to invest and reap the rewards.

I expect stock exchanges and clearing houses to be hugely interested too.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Well I ignored the crypto currency that by in large allows to make almost anonymous trades. As legaldinho pointed out its gonna come under regulation. Went with a punt on Ripple. It's slightly different in that some banks I.e. Santander and others are using it for international transactions. It's dirt cheap at present so well worth my £20 punt. I actually enjoyed the process as it's something new to learn.

I've help XRP for a while now and the price is so fucking stable lol! The return is still better than a Savings Account though. The aim is to get financial institutions to use XRP but right now they haven't adopted it's use yet.

I think XRP have a decent chance at replacing SWIFT which has been around since the 1970s. Would appreciate any updates from you time to time bud as the project interests me.
    I'm keeping my eye on PPT (populus) as well. That's hit £13 a COIN.
  • Any thoughts on Neo?

Neo is the rebrand of any existing offering from China. Statements from them that they have mathematical algorithms that quantum computing won't be able to break made me laugh and put me off massively.
  • WorKid wrote:
    It's not 10-15 years, blockchain is already being used across financial services. Small disruptor banks will find it easier to move but bigger banks will have the power to invest and reap the rewards.

I expect stock exchanges and clearing houses to be hugely interested too.

Yes your right block chains are being used by financial services. What the study was saying is that cryptocurrency offering from central banks is over 10 years away. Anyway I'm just paraphrasing the study.

On a side note bitcoin just broke £11,000. Jesus.
  • Any thoughts on Neo?
    Not much apart from they recently said that there would be a massive announcement drove their community to fever pitch. Turns out that their big announcement was another announcement that something was going to happen. I think it kind of hurt their credibility somewhat.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    I think XRP have a decent chance at replacing SWIFT which has been around since the 1970s. Would appreciate any updates from you time to time bud as the project interests me. I'm keeping my eye on PPT (populus) as well. That's hit £13 a COIN.

No worries, it could do as there's apparently up to 60% savings for transfers if banks adopt XRP. There's development happening right now to make it a consumer coin coin as well. I'm waiting for a wallet integration so I can start accepting it at my online store. Very quick confirmations, low transaction cost and low volatility should make this very feasible.

Also obligatory, if enough banks start using XRP - to the moon in my Lambo etc.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!