Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I tightened my purse strings somewhat in 2017, and plan to loosen them a little in the year ahead.  But, yknow, I've enjoyed my rejection of capitalism & playing some oldies-but-goodies, so I'm keen to not return back to my old ways.

This is next year's thread to help me be sensible - and to welcome in any others with similar thoughts (where I know @andy for one has some ideas).  Starting early so I can decide how much to abuse the system later this month...

After this year's generosity from y'all I ain't asking nothing this year, beyond support and constructive mockery.  And suggestions.  My current main thinking is twofold:
     - to "break even" - i.e. only spend during the year what I make via eBaying / selling stuff - so no net outlay
     - one-in-one-out - i.e. if I get a game, I'm not allowed to buy another one until that one is "finished" [for some meaning of 'finished'; and I'm not forced to instantly sell it if it has more legs]

I might start again trying to buy nothing, but will not hold myself to this.  One of the lists below is of games which I decided I ought to play when plotting this year's abstinence.  And no GWG/PS+ bollocks - I can play my monthly games (though I'm not currently on GwG, and am undecided about signing back up ... and indeed may actually choose to sell my Bone to help bullet one above!)

Any other suggestions on stuff I should do?  
     - Any masochistic challenges you think you can tempt me with (beyond SM3DW Champions Road, Meat Boy iron-man, and fucking #52 on Trackmania Turbo)??  
     - I guess trying another 52 games in 52 weeks will keep me on my toes (PS+ indie fodder should help a bit - but most of the shortest got done this year!).  
     - Any suggestions on games-to-buy which should move higher/lower on my listing??

And who's gonna join me??

Games which I own & know I should play & plan to play
    DkS 3 DLC, Bloodborne DLC, GoW4, Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Resi 4, Pandora's Tower, Downwell, Monkey Island 1 & 2 Remastered, Grim Fandango Remastered, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Trine 1-3, Catherine, Rogue Legacy, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, Sleeping Dogs, Binding of Isaac, Axiom Verge, Gravity Rush, Stealth Inc 2, Transistor, Valiant Hearts, Broforce, Magicka 1&2, Kentucky Route Zero, 1001 Spikes, Remember Me, Catherine, MGS V/GZ, Danganronpa, DmC, Dust, From Dust, Gears of War (1-4), God of War, Hitman (early ones), Splinter Cell, I Am Alive, Outlast,  SotC HD, Styx, Thief, The Crew, Ys, Yakuza, XCOM, Suikoden, TWD (s2), The Evil Within, The Banner Saga, Sniper Elite, Richard & Alice, Hydrophobia, Gunpoint, Else Heart.Break(), Door Kickers, Malicious, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castevania: Lord of Shadows, No Time to Explain, Skies of Arcadia Legends 

[plus lots more starting at me from my bookshelf]

2017 & older games which I've had to avoid buying (in vague order in which I plan to play/buy them)
    PS+/GwG additions: 10 second Ninja, Hue, Darksiders 2, Sky Force Anniversary, Hatoful Boyfriend, Infamous Second Son, Not a Hero, SpeedRunners, Darksiders 2

Hollow Knight
    TLG
    The End is Nigh
    Nier
    Rive
    Rime
    Nex Machina
    FH2 / storm island
    The Human Resource Machine
    BoxBoxBoy!
    Metroid: Samus Returns
    Bravely Second
    SteamWorld Dig 2
    Thumper
    Firewatch
    Flame in the Flood
    Hob
    The ABC Murders
    Hellblade
    Hitman
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Paco 2
    Picross 3D
    SteamWorld Heist
    Last Day of June
    Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Steep
    Dishonored 2
    Halo Wars 2
    Prey
    Opus Magnum
    Quantum Break
    Little nightmares
    Nioh
    Thimbleweed Park
    WipEout HD
    Ratchet & Clank
    Sleep No More
    Cuphead
    life is stranger
    Layton #3
    Dragon Quest V

Night in the Wood
    Edith Finch
    Pubg
    Gorogoa
    Undertale
    Virginia
    Ninja Senki DX

2018 games which I've got my eye on
    Ori 2
    Ni No Kuni 2
    Far Cry 5
    Dragon Quest 10
    FfXII
    Spiderman
    RDR2
    Dishonored 2
    Prey
    Cod WW
    Dragon Quest Builders

2018 games which I've avoided buying
     -
  • I think my PS+ isn’t due to renew until about 2020, so my personal challenge is this: No money spent on videogames in 2018. No new PS4/Vita games except monthly PS+ games (and Insomniac’s Spider-man, which was paid for about a year ago). No new Switch games, no new iOS games, no PS1 or PS2 games. Nothing.

Exceptions:
    • If (god forbid) any of the hardware dies, I’ll replace it.
    • I’m toying with the idea of trying to build a small wooden tabletop Raspeberry Pi-powered retro machine. If I find myself more committed to the idea later in 2018, I won’t consider spending money on it a failure.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    alreet fuck it lets try and give up kebabs
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You're fucking mental son.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye muzzy ya flange
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good luck Andy! You happy to be lent stuff??

I'd be amazed if DS makes it past 2am on the 1st.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I need to loose weight as sitting on my arse in a call centre eating crisps doesn't really help
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Good luck Andy! You happy to be lent stuff?? I'd be amazed if DS makes it past 2am on the 1st.

As (almost) everything I own is digital, I’ve never taken part in that, as I have nothing to offer.

And, to be honest, I’m hoping to get more value from my piles of shame.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No pictures of your shameful piles please.
  • I see you have a steam account too ace.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The few of those I've played, you have a reasonable mix of long time sink and good compact campaign.
  • I'm confused Muzz. So all the games you didn't buy this year, you're just going to buy next year?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most of those games are shite anyway, best avoided.
  • This all seems complex and over-thought.
    acemuzzy wrote:
     - one-in-one-out - i.e. if I get a game, I'm not allowed to buy another one until that one is "finished" [for some meaning of 'finished'; and I'm not forced to instantly sell it if it has more legs]
    This needs tweaking. You should have a fair crack at a game and give it a chance but the worst thing you can do is force yourself to finish a game you’re not enjoying. Playing games is meant to be fun.
  • Get yourself a boomerang account.
    10 quid a month and you rent out games.
    You don't get the new ones, but that doesn't matter, as you usually are then missing out the hype and can play the game with out all the advertising bullshit surrounding it.
    Saves you a fortune. You'd be surprised how many games you don't need to buy.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'm confused Muzz. So all the games you didn't buy this year, you're just going to buy next year?

Well not all of them. Some of them. For rather less money. One at a time.

None of these rules are unbreakable. If a game sucks I'll ditch it but equally I'm going to try to choose a lot more carefully than i used to is my thinking.

I've also already git some credit/vouchers. And Christmas/birthday looming. But dont want to just immediately undo this year's hard work...

(Will also do some swap-clubbing, if i can find things to contribute.)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Get yourself a boomerang account.
    10 quid a month and you rent out games.
    You don't get the new ones, but that doesn't matter, as you usually are then missing out the hype and can play the game with out all the advertising bullshit surrounding it.
    Saves you a fortune. You'd be surprised how many games you don't need to buy.

I have thought about exactly this actually. They have a free trial for starters. I play games fairly slow though which may make it less sensical.
  • This year I'm putting it all on red
  • Racist.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    alreet fuck it lets try and give up kebabs

Off the wagon by Feb. I could give up sausage rolls and we'll see who wins.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Might join you with a couple games, there's quite a bit of overlap in your Pile of Shame and mine (my PC list is mainly games B bought and played, so at least someone enjoyed them). Although I must say I'm pretty happy just playing Monster Hunter and Splatoon.

Axiom Verge
    Binding of Isaac
    Bloodborne DLC (I've got the whole game to go though, and a Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition)
    Castevania: Lord of Shadows (have one on 3DS and PC, it's the 3DS one I wanna give a go, started it but got distracted)
    DmC (just to be clear, the cool one right? The one Rich Stanton keeps on tweeting about)
    Firewatch
    Gravity Rush
    Grim Fandango Remastered
    Hollow Knight
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Little nightmares
    Metroid: Samus Returns (although that's at my mom's place)
    Ratchet & Clank
    SteamWorld Heist
    Thumper
    Transistor
    Valiant Hearts 
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Those are the ones on my to-play list, so I'd suggest moving those higher onto you play list, and I'll join.

I won't be buying much next year, but not gonna say I'm not gonna spend anything. Monster Hunter World is January, and I'm not sure what Nintendo's plans are with Metroid and Pokemon Switch. I do want to try to get anything (apart from those 3) that I'll get next year in sales. There's no need to go full price if I have other games to play.
  • I've enjoyed doing the 52 games thing this year, but definitely looking for something different next. It's probably made me rush through some games and keep going on others that I should've ditched early on.

Would quite like to focus on a few big games next year. Not played Monster Hunter before, but hopefully can get into that. Also hope DQXI gets a release not too far away.
  • I need to spend some cash on power adaptors and a Bluetooth bone-troller (although could just use my Dual Shock 3) all for Steam Link.
    Then I didn't really want to spend too much on software next year.

Almost everything coming out that I want involve me buying a PS4 or a Switch and I'm just not prepared to drop 200-300 quid on hardware anymore.
  • I mean, how much are you prepared to spend on hardware? Gonna do well to get mitts on something worthwhile sub £200, no?
  • Not a lot really. It's not a criticism of pricing or anything, Just don't want that kind of outlay.

Getting old and boring, I can get a Switch or I can get my bedroom carpet done.
  • Aye I hear that, there's always shit to do on the house.
  • Indeed. I need to get new work tops and pay a bloke to plumb in a gas hob as well.
  • It's hard to justify more gaming hardware when I've clearly got more than enough to play on one machine. I've played a lot this year and never run out of good stuff to try.

Would love to play Zelda and Mario of course £300 for the privilege is a big ask. Perhaps in a year or so, depending on how things are going (for both me and Nintendo).
  • This has reminded me I still need to take my turntables to cash converters.
  • I've basically decided I'm out on consoles now.

‹ Previous1234567

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!