ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Saw the analytics stuff in the musical thread and got annoyed that I didn't have any as I don't use Spotify
    Luckily LastFM came to my aid, and I'm actually pretty pleased with myself. Of my top 200 albums with most scrobbles in the last 365 days, 31 of them were released this year, so I'm still listening to new music. Anyway, would love to see your long lists, your short lists, and stuff that you simply must see in a list. There's definitely loads I've missed this year
    I'll whack up a long list (and maybe a playlist) in this post and then move them around as they show up in your lists

Badgers longlist
    Action Bronson - Blue Chips 7000
    Beck - Colors
    Blanck Mass - World Eater
    Brother Ali - All the Beauty in this whole life
    Colter Wall - Colter Wall
    Converge - The Dusk In Us
    Creeper - Eternity In Your Arms
    Dave Hause - Bury Me In Philly
    Depeche Mode - Spirit
    Dutty Moonshine Big Band – Most Wanted
    Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
    Four Tet - New Energy
    Future Islands - The Far Field
    Goldfrapp - Silver Eye
    Halsey – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    Idles - Brutalism
    Jay Z - 4:44
    Jens Lenkman - Life Will See You Now
    Jesu - Every Day I Get Closer to the Light...
    Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference
    Kendrick Lamar - Damn
    LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    London Grammar - Truth is a Beautiful Thing
    Lorde - Melodrama
    Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
    Margo Price - All American Made
    Marnie - Strange Words and Weird Wars
    Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun
    Mr Jukes - God First
    Mura Masa - Mura Masa
    Neil Finn - Out of Silence
    Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
    QOTSA - Villains
    Rapsody - Laila's Wisdom
    Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
    Saint Etienne - Home Counties
    Sleaford Mods - English Tapas
    Slowdive - Slowdive

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/user/cockbeard/playlist/7jZuVrKhRw78lZbeA7rvdN
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In no order just yet, stuff that came out this year that I've actually listened to, going to listen to only these albums this week and see what leaps out at me. These are the 31 that made my most scrobbled top 200

Austeros - I Got This
    Beans On Toast - Cushty
    Big Thief - Capacity
    The Bronx - V
    Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex
    Cory Branan - Adios
    Dave Hause - Bury Me In Philly
    Down Love - Trust
    Fleet Foxes - Crack Up
    Free Throw - Bear Your Mind
    Gold Key - Hello, Phantom
    Gorillaz - Humanz
    Halsey - Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    Honey Joy - Honey Joy
    Hot Water Music - Light It Up
    Hundredth - Rare
    Imagine Dragons - Evolve
    Jason Isbell - Nashville Sound
    Ke$ha - Rainbow
    King Gizzard - Murder Of The Universe
    Liam Gallagher - As You Were
    London Grammar - Truth Is A Beautiful Thing
    The Menzingers - After Tbe Party
    John Moreland - Big Bad Luv
    The Movielife - Cities In Search Of A Heart
    reCap - Demo
    The Regrettes - Feel Your Feelings Fool
    Ride - Weather Diaries
    Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
    Matthew Ryan - Hustle Up Starlings
    Micah Schnabel - Your New Norman Rockwell
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    reserved
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    shouldn't need more than this hopefully
  • Bury Me in Philly is nailed on.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It is a cracker no doubt, for some reason it didn't get as much listening from me as I thought it would, must've been other stuff that came out at same time. Nashville Sound is very strong, and I'd forgotten how awesome that Ke$ha album is. Think I'm going to struggle to look past Gold Key though, I really think it's one we'll look back at in a few years as a wow moment
  • Blue Chips 7000
    by Action Bronson
  • Turns out Royal Blood is the only thing I’ve listened to this year that came out this year. And I’ve listened to it, maybe three times.

It was good, though.
  • Crack up by Fleet Foxes for me
  • I'm up to March so far, and the only one I've heard other than Dave is Creeper.
  • Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
  • Been kinda slack on new music this year, but very much enjoyed the new Four Tet album and the Tribe Called Quest one and Kendrick Lamar Damn.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ooh, I wonder why Tribe didn't pop up, maybe I had scrobbling turned off for some reason
  • Turns out as I got through the year there is more stuff, so I'll compile a list.

Some nice surprises though. Cheap Trick have released 2 albums this year?!
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Ooh, I wonder why Tribe didn't pop up, maybe I had scrobbling turned off for some reason

Just double checked and Tribe one was actually 2016 it seems, must have been right at the end of the year I think as doesn’t seem very long ago.
  • Haven't heard John Moreland's new one yet, will give it a listen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Only album I can think of that came out this year, and that I enjoyed is Villains by the Queens of the Stone Age.
  • Not really sure on an order this year.  Top two would be Colter Wall - Colter Wall (a recent entry for me, straight to the top, very much my cup of tea) and All American Made by Margo Price.   Kendrick Lamar's DAMN would be up there, as would Laila's Wisdom by Rapsody.  Only listened to the Barnett/Vile effort once so I can't really include it, although it probably deserves it.   

Albums I enjoyed that dropped off a bit after the initial flurry of listens: The Nashville Sound - Jason Isbell, Waiting on a Song - Dan Auerbach, Tell the Devil I'm Gettin' There as Fast as I Can - Ray Wylie Hubbard, From a Room Vol.1/2 - Chris Stapleton.  All solid 7's.  Didn't click with this year's Father John Misty, unfortunately. 

Got a Tyler Childers, Grimes and a Big Thief album on the way (two actually, a gamble as I only read about them), but I didn't do much buying this year.
  • Converge released a new album this year, so that gets my vote
  • So far nobody has named an album I've listened to!
    I've got through a bit of Kesha.
  • Looking at my iTunes, I've added a fucktonne of music to my collection this year, but virtually no new stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    DAMN - Lamar
  • Future Islands - The Far Field for me.

Also King Gizzard released 4 albums this year. I need to check them all out as I'm sure they'll be solid.
  • I have my spreadsheet at the ready. Will post 10 later.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I seem to be taking longer to discover new music these days.

Last year my album of the year was Halsey’s Badlands, which was released in 2015. This year it’s probably been Sky Ferreira’s Night Time, My Time … and that’s from 2013.

I’m getting worse.

So … albums I have enjoyed that were actually released this year?

Dutty Moonshine Big Band – Most Wanted
    Halsey – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    Lorde – Melodrama

And the Halsey one I didn’t think was as good as her debut. Couple of great tracks, but not in the same league.

So I guess my album of the year goes to Lorde. Mostly for White Light, which is a fucking banger of a tune.

I need to pick up the Kesha record, I know I’m going to love that. On current form I’ll probably start listening to it in 2019.
  • My problem is that I spend so much time catching up with older music that I don’t listen to very much new stuff. However, from what I’ve heard this year my list would be, in no particular order:

Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun
    Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
    LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    Sleaford Mods - English Tapas
    Blanck Mass - World Eater
    Idles - Brutalism
    Jesu - Every Day I Get Closer to the Light...
    Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Haven't listened to much new music this year, however the following were all this year:

Goldfrapp - Silver Eye
    Depeche Mode - Spirit
    Beck - Colors
    Marnie - Strange Words and Weird Wars

Enjoy all, but Marnie's is probably my favourite.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How about a Christmas Spotify/whatever list with a song from everyone's album of the year?
  • Sounds good. Do it and I'll add mine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok.
  • 2# Manchester Orchestra – A Black Mile to the Surface

For Manchester Orchestra’s fifth album (or sixth if you include Hope, the quartet’s ‘quieter’ re-imagining of their unapologetically driving hard-rock opus Cope) song-writer Andy Hull wanted to take the Atlanta quartet in a different direction. Alongside his brother-in-law and guitarist Robert McDowell, he spent the best part of a year re-establishing and re-defining the sonic palette from which Manchester Orchestra operated. It was broadly an exercise in doing the reverse of whatever came to them naturally, and in doing so, Manchester Orchestra have composed not only their best album to date but a career-defining epic that defies simple categorisation.

A Black Mile to the Surface is an extraordinarily rare breed of album, a deeply rich tapestry that can be enjoyed immensely at a surface level but reveals a whole multitude of deeper intricacies and hidden depths over time. It’s an other-worldly, enigmatic record, whilst also being profoundly personal, particularly in the themes that emerge through Hull entering fatherhood. Two such songs bookend the album; ‘The Maze’ opens proceedings with a post-modern lullaby written from the perspective of Hull’s baby daughter in which she goads him into being a decent father, whilst the album concludes with ‘The Silence’ recounting Hull’s deep-rooted fears of passing hereditary habits and vices on to his innocent baby girl.

That’s not to mention the unceasing three-song arc of ‘The Alien’, ’The Sunshine’ and ‘The Grocery‘ which provides the album’s stunning centrepiece or the conceptual narrative that interweaves throughout Hull’s personal story about a real-life neutron-science experiment taking place a mile beneath a town called Lead in South Dakota that is attempting to better understand the nature of matter and the evolution of the universe. There’s so much to discover in A Black Mile To The Surface, it will doubtless take years for all its secrets to be revealed and attempting to unravel them is about as engaging and thrilling as music gets.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/best-alternative-rock-metal-albums-2017-code-orange-mogwai-arcane-roots-a8098391.html

In case anyone is interested.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!