Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • This Bluetooth speaker is epic. Really taking it for a spin now. Big sound.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'll try n take a closer look at the curves in work later.
    Afraid budget won't stretch.
    Any thoughts on Sennheiser HD 4.4s or even 4.5s?
    Any AKG up to snuff?

Edit
    I've just spotted Momentum 2 wireless overears for 200. If in stock I may just grab those....

Double edit

Those momentums were the non wireless version :(
    I also held the sennheiser 4.40 and 4.50s and Im not a fan of the build quality :(
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I have some HD555's that I could perhaps sell, they just need some new earpads. They served me very well for over ten years I think, probably not going see much more use now I have the HD600.
  • https://www.soundguys.com/xiaomi-mi-ear-headphones-pro-review-9733/

I have the piston 3 earbuds which are excellent. Curious about the 4th gen.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @Ninja AKG is good, not sure on their wireless solutions though.

Also depends if you want ANC as well, cos it's gonna further degrade the sound quality. What do you want to use em for?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Can't abide noise cancelling headphones, just get buds that fit properly, or over ears that block the world out. A relatively budget option nowadays but my Sony MDR-R1s linked here serve me pretty well, normally just sat at my work desk nowdays but grand for the commute as well. Except for an occasional knocking sound when walking

Admittedly they are slightly bright, but not massively so, and I listen to a lot of guitar/vocal based stuff so that little extra in the high mids isn't cancerous
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret wrote:
    @Ninja AKG is good, not sure on their wireless solutions though. Also depends if you want ANC as well, cos it's gonna further degrade the sound quality. What do you want to use em for?
    commute and gym.But I listened to the sennheiser hd 4.4 bt and the sound was alright. I tried one ear on the Beats Studio and it was fucking awful. So I think Im goign to get the momentum over ear 2.0s. The only drawback is the lack of wireless. But for 200 euro....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I got Sony's mdr-1000x in an Amazon sale, reduced to 250€. Fantastic Bluetooth headphones with spectacular noise canceling. Couldn't do without the nc anymore.
  • Bought some PXC 550s in the eBay madness yesterday. Would like some decent in-ears at some point but looking forward to giving these a blast when they arrive.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Right.

My challenge to you is as follows:

Non shit in ear earphones that don't fall out when running.

Unfortunately Keller don't make any... which is why I am asking.
  • Did you ever try Comply memory foam tips? I don't use in-ears without that small addition.

Well, large addition. I use the large ones.
  • Leave the size queen/just the tip gags outside, I've already thought of every single permutation so there.
  • More crucial problem is likely to be whether they will fit on the earphones that came with my phone.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Final Audio E2000 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-E2000-Ear-Isolating-Earphone-black/dp/B075GDT2R9?th=1&psc=1

Assuming you want a mic, cheaper if not obv. They have ear hooks you can attach to ensure they stay put and punch above their weight for the money. They are semi- open do if you want total isolation they aren't ideal, but it also means you can hear Gonzo coming up behind you with a shiv.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Ok then. I’m flippant with cash and would like some over ear headphones. I’m not in a place with easy access to showroom and demos.
    What should I be looking at? I’ve been into JL today and don’t really know where to start. I tried some Bower W’s and they sound great but I’m coming in as a complete novice so perhaps they’re actually shit???
    Budget is around £350 or so. Are wired defo much better or have things caught up nowadays? Won’t ever be using em in public apart from on planes and holidays.
  • I’ve just received a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550, they seem decent but I’ve yet to really give them a thorough test. Anyway, of limited use but here’s what I learned from my limited research pre-purchase:

*bluetooth isn’t as good as wired but it’s still pretty decent these days. 
    *bluetooth seems to add an extra 50-100 quid onto the price at this level
    *the most recent Bose QuietComfort 35s are the same as previous model but have some kind of google thing built in
    *open-backed are good for in-home listening as long as you don’t mind them being overheard
    *noise-cancelling seems like a good feature as you can get better sound at lower volumes but it can add a premium
    *beats are shit cos everyone says so

Like I say, not the most useful stuff but I bought in a hurry to take advantage of the eBay deal. I bought from a reseller in France but they’re legit and have proper two year warranty.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wired is still better. aptX codec has improved things somewhat (the VModas I linked up there have a variant that uses aptX) but the claims about better sound quality are largely anecdotal at this point. Me, I'd go wired.

Standard questions then. Planes and holidays only suggest you could get away with something bigger and slightly less portable but they'll still need to be closed and able to be driven via a phone (rather than a portable amp) presumably. Guessing the B&W PX was the one you were looking at. NC always means compromise in sound quality but if you really want noise canceling I'd consider Bose QCII. Certainly not the best sound quality and beaten by much cheaper cans on that front but still the best NC tech around.

For the money, you'll find better sounding cans than B&W though they are decent.

So closed, up to £350, pretty isolating, driven by phone... Next question is what are you listening to and what kind of sound signature; bass heavy, balanced, mid-treble happy if you're into classical or jazz etc.
  • This is bliss - Fostex, Schiit, Flac, Christmas dinner, booooooze, Build-a-Bear Luigi, Splodge RIP:

20171225_185928_1.jpg
  • What came first, the house and furniture or the cat? One was clearly a response to the other.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yup they were the PX’s.  As I say, coming from fairly standard £60 jobbies I was pretty blown away by them as a quick sample.  Kinda opened my ears to all the possibilities.

I’m not tied to £350 too much so if there’s something you’d really rec at + or - £100 then that’s fine.  I’d wager I’m looking for a pretty balanced sound q.  Defo not too bass heavy.  Music tastes are pretty varied so hard to pin down on a genre but again nothing that is bass heavy (generally).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m in no way an audiophile but the Bose QC’s are perfect for me on the plane. All engine noise reduced massively and can watch films comfortably. I’m guessing I could’ve bought something better but for my uneducated ears the comfort (they really are) NC and wireless all add up to a great package.

Also got em from John Lewis by price matching with an online site. As long as said site has a physical store JL will price match.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This is bliss - Fostex, Schiit, Flac, Christmas dinner, booooooze, Build-a-Bear Luigi, Splodge RIP: 20171225_185928_1.jpg

That’s just about the brownest image I’ve seen.  The smidge of visible build a bear the only highlight.
  • Facewon wrote:
    What came first, the house and furniture or the cat? One was clearly a response to the other.

Cabinet, house, cat, laminate (bought on a mate's discount but not laid), fireplace, wallpaper, laminate laid, recliner.
  • I like brown btw.

And grey and beige.  Lot of de-th to play with for a man who’s colourblind.
  • It is very brown though.  I always kind of knew, but I've only just realised.
  • There is nothing wrong with brown.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It is very brown though.  I always kind of knew, but I've only just realised.

Racist.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sony MDR 1000X are in your price range. They have excellent noise cancelling for when you're out and about and the sound quality over bluetooth is spectacular. They also come with a sturdy cable which gives the sound quality a slight boost if that's what you need. I had a go on the Bose noise cancellers over Christmas and these pip them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!