Can we talk about Logan Paul?
‹ Previous12345
  • Until a few days ago, I had never heard of Logan Paul. I wish things had remained that way.

For anyone who’s missed the furore, you might want to skip this thread and save yourself having the knowledge of another complete and utter irredeemable cunt.

Fair warning: The catalyst for this thread is Logan Paul’s despicable attitude towards suicide, and using a real man’s suicide for self-promotion.

Logan Paul is a YouTuber. I understand he is/was an actor. By the look of his CV and his vlogs, not a good one who should ever have gotten work. I understand he has a brother, Jake Paul, who is pretty similar in terms of output and likability.

Logan has recently been in Japan. On Hogmanay, he posted a vlog that he and his chums had made in Aokigahara, the forest at the base of Mt. Fuji, where many people go to commit suicide. It’s an immense, thick forest, where it’s easy to get lost, and many bodies go undiscovered for years.

Logan and his friends unfortunately found the body of a man who had hanged himself. They then see fit to act like clowns around the remains, film it, and post it, blurring only the face.

Now, I’ve been around enough dead bodies to know that it’s human nature to make a few jokes. It’s understandable, it’s a coping mechanism. What you don’t do, though, what is absolutely not understandable, what is not human nature, is to film yourself gurning and prancing around like a possessed imp, trying to make it entertaining.

The vlog has since been taken down, although you can see most of it in this reaction video.

Logan has since posted an insincere apology video:

He claims that what they saw was ’unplanned’. The circumstances, and many of the things they say in the video, suggest they got exactly what they’d hoped for. He also claims that the reactions were ‘raw’. I defy anyone to watch his face during that video and tell me that he’s not playing for laughs.

I was already really angry about this. Then, tonight, I saw this video on twitter, containing some of his ‘hilarious’ antics in Japan.

I just... I dunno. I’m lost for words, really. He’s got a massive audience (15m subscribers) and it’s still growing. I find it desperately sad that there are kids watching this toxic individual and learning from him.

Am I being too sensitive? Am I out of touch? Is all of this funny? If the answer is yes, I have even less hope for our species, if that’s even possible.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve not watched any of the videos and I’m not sure you’ve done anything other than support his link baiting efforts. Best bet? G.man closes this post and we move on.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Heard the name, but no desire to proceed. I saw a photo of him wearing glasses that looked like Owen Wilson cosplaying TLoG's Pauline.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's been burning up the twatternet for a few days now. To be honest, I have no idea or interest in any of these youtube personalities - they're another generation as a far as I'm concerned. This one is a dick though, in a more thoroughly horrible way than the other dicks.
  • Guy's a weapons grade asshat. Sadly these are the times we live in. God help the world if social media doesn't eventually eat itself.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • He's an ultratwat.

Ignore.
  • ...and no, I won't be locking this and moving on. Certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to watch any of his videos, but it's a perfectly decent topic for conversation.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've no interest in discussing him thank you for asking but you guys have at it. Its an area of the web I'll never view.
  • The only video of his that I’ve linked to is the apology, because I haven’t (yet) seen it covered on another channel. The rest are on other channels which are pointing out what a nasty piece of work he is.

Currently watching this video, talking more about YouTube’s piss-poor response:

It doesn’t contain any footage (so far, I’m half way through) but is a reasonable summary of events if you want to know more without suffering the man himself.
  • Yep, utter prick. This was a good takedown.

• Youtubers are all idiots. They should be left to dwell in Idiotland, making videos for idiots and apologising to other idiots in YouTube Land, and generally left alone in a Prime Directive kind of way.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrinchan_(race)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah probably a bit too much of a totalitarian view. I won’t personally be watching his stuff.

The discussion around social media imploding is more interesting though I don’t think it will happen anytime soon.

If we think about any major technological/social impact it takes a good while before it becomes the norm and then an even longer amount of time to go out of fashion. (We are still watching terrestrial TV even though we can pick and choose most shows over tinternet).
  • Plenty of decent people on Youtube making decent videos covering a whole host of stuff.
    The medium is an excellent open source where people can express their views, share their hobbies, lifestyles, knowledge etc. It is an outlet that I am extremely glad exists. 
    Unfortunately it, on occasions, results in mega twats like this guy.

Like much of social media it is a reflection on society as much as it is an influence on it.

I am more interested in discussing why cesspit content creators like this guy have so many viewers and what that says about society. Definitely a chicken and egg discussion mind.
  • All I know is what I just read in the OP.  Never heard of him and don't intend to delve further, but it sounds like the sort of crap 15m people would like.
  • He monetized his apology video.
  • No. There was no reason for him to be in that place bar the obvious one - to make the exact video he did. It's possible that someone might want to make a respectful video that looks at what drives large numbers of people to go to this place to end their lives, but it's not going to be the bellend who made a 'prank' (A word as pathetic and meaningless as 'banter') video where he staged his own murder in front of his fans.

And even if that guy did grow the fuck up in the space of less than a year, he certainly wouldn't decide to wear a fucking aliens from Toy Story hat and record himself being an overacting buffoon before, during and after finding the body.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But I’m guessing the tens of £10,000’s he got from ad revenue made it worth it. And that is why I won’t watch any of his videos or mention them to any of my friends regardless of what it is I may be trying to communicate.
  • He's a fucking narcistic youtube cunt. 1 of a billion on social media sadly. I usually ignore them but sadly these pewdiepie types are insanely popular despite being disgustingly loathsome.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just did basic YouTube ad revenue calcs and based on 15m views he’d earn about $114,000
  • Plenty of decent people on Youtube making decent videos covering a whole host of stuff.
    The medium is an excellent open source where people can express their views, share their hobbies, lifestyles, knowledge etc. It is an outlet that I am extremely glad exists. 
    Unfortunately it, on occasions, results in mega twats like this guy.

Like much of social media it is a reflection on society as much as it is an influence on it.

I am more interested in discussing why cesspit content creators like this guy have so many viewers and what that says about society. Definitely a chicken and egg discussion mind.

Yes it had got some good stuff obviously but the cult of the Youtuber is frankly something best avoided. It doesn't really say anything about society because this kind of culture doesn't really have anything to say about anything, including itself. It's no different to Justin Beiber. It exists but not in any meaningful way, and is certainly not anything to get upset about.

• LP is no DSP,. that's for sure. Boogie's fucking looked even more.of.a.shitbag over all this too. As for garfleplex? Say No.more.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As for what?
  • YouTube has a KidsApp, but my advice is: don't use it if you have kids. It is not monitored, at all. There is real potential in creators and decent people on YouTube to create material for kids that isn't available elsewhere, especially as they'll always be quicker moving than media corporations for picking up on trends and so on.

Sadly, it's become a platform where a lack of restrictions has made it a terrible place for Kids, and as YouTube don't bother to vet videos the app is useless. There's been backlash, the "AdPocalypse" made advertising stricter, but the real problem is that people like Logan Paul, JonTron, PewDiePie simply attract a bigger audience when they fuck up, or do something scummy. Logan Paul is now apparently up around 100k subs according to twitter talk around it. I've not investigated that myself but I wouldn't be surprise. People talk a lot about privilege and I imagine people here disagree with it a lot, but it's consistently young, white men doing this shit.

There are good YouTube folk, but to make good things requires time, attention, and care. To shit out videos like this requires less time, and frequently garners more money. I have no doubt there are many more fuckheads out there, but I doubt as many of them have a team of camera folk and editors behind them (where a large part of the blame lies for the highlighted video). It's a system of amplification, and the more measured, reasonable people on there are outnumbered. Given the current social and political climate, I fear it will get worse before it gets better, until the good media literate people move into teaching and know how to dismantle this stuff well. 

A film like Nightcrawler is a great touch point for how this all works, except even in that film there is some resistance from a corrupt system. YouTube is terrifying in its apathy.
  • Bieber is actually a decent comparison. Both started out as squeaky clean, then decided they needed to become edgy, and ended up looking like total tools in the process.
  • I learnt how to fix our toilet on YouTube and for that I'm eternally grateful. I'd rather be watch Logan Paul than ever have to deal with a plumber again.
  • Social media companies and the worst of their users continue to abbrogate any and all social responsibility. Which in itself wouldn't be so bad if these companies weren't also the same ones with the arrogance to believe they have the solution for all the worlds problems. 

It's disgusting that we now have "monetization" of neo nazi supporters, their apologists, people who have committed suicide, fake apologies and child abuse (the couple who were regular traumatising their kids for prank videos). 

At least Silicon Valley is near a major fault line.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • They'll all die drinking Raw Water I hope.
  • Unfortunately the only way shit like this will be prevented is when ad revenue and content are regulated.

Facebook are implementing this sort of thing, but its still being tested.
  • 90% of what Google do is advertising. It's probably more for Facebook, and it's always been a sleazy business.
  • I wonder how many social problems are caused by the big tech companies, primarily Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook all paying essentially no tax in every country they do business.

They display, via this act of contempt, no social compass and thus I don't think we can ever really expect them to do more than token acts to cover up transgressions from people like logan. The only thing they care about is money and power. Governments need to regulate (with the threat of banning them) before they attempt a takeover.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!