Just completed
  • It's an immersive sim, the thing that Bioshock took and watered (heeyyooo) down.

Arkane Studios are basically carrying the torch for Looking Glass Studios (Thief, System Shock etc)
  • Yeah, I play it as an ultra-atmospheric thieving sim with supernatural abilities in a wonderfully realised setting. It's my jam. 

Played in an action-style it's good chaotic fun with the powers and tools on hand but for me works better when (mostly) taking the slower, stealthy approach.
  • The chaotic fun would probably suit me.  In my limited experience 'choose your play style' games tend to favour a measured approach ahead of Leeroying, but I'll give it a try as an immersive FPS in a few months, thanks.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Virginia.

Unfortunately, I'm still not sure what really happened. I feel like I need to play something where I just shoot stuff after this and Edith Finch.

6/10.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PC)

So I never played this when it first came out, but it's been on the pile of shame for a while.  And then kindly sponsored by @yossarian.

Thoughts were pretty muted to start with - a bit clunky, didn't seem to have a aged well, pretty awful combat, slow progress no challenge.  And it stayed that was for the first few hours to be honest.  But then it got going, and I could start to see why people like it - while still clunky the combat found it's rhythm, and the environmental puzzle started having enough challenge to be fun, with the time-rewinding oft needed.  And the PC version did show its merits with some nice big views from the final tower etc.

And on top I guess I have to respect it's importance as a title - so I think in generous mood it's ended up being a pseudo-rose-tinted [8]...

I’ll take it.

I just loved the puzzles, it was around the time of Portal where people were thinking about the challenges that could be presented by a 3D space in which physics were a secondary consideration.

Anyway, presumably I owe you some dosh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I love you welcome back yoss
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I love you too, Reg.

<3
  • Yossarian wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PC) So I never played this when it first came out, but it's been on the pile of shame for a while.  And then kindly sponsored by @yossarian. Thoughts were pretty muted to start with - a bit clunky, didn't seem to have a aged well, pretty awful combat, slow progress no challenge.  And it stayed that was for the first few hours to be honest.  But then it got going, and I could start to see why people like it - while still clunky the combat found it's rhythm, and the environmental puzzle started having enough challenge to be fun, with the time-rewinding oft needed.  And the PC version did show its merits with some nice big views from the final tower etc. And on top I guess I have to respect it's importance as a title - so I think in generous mood it's ended up being a pseudo-rose-tinted [8]...
    I’ll take it. I just loved the puzzles, it was around the time of Portal where people were thinking about the challenges that could be presented by a 3D space in which physics were a secondary consideration. Anyway, presumably I owe you some dosh.
    The Muzz did indeed complete his challenge. Thread is here.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ta G.

He actually made a year? Impressive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've even been fairly restrained since Jan! It's the new me.

(By which I mean I went balls deep, but in the sales...)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

How many Switches do you now own?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Did you buy Virginia?

No! But it just got given a [6] and was 69p so that's like only 11.5p per [ ]...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

How many Switches do you now own?

NOT A ONE! Though people keep offering to lend games if I get one. And it's my birthday looming. And I've not bought myself a present yet...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently Zelda is the most amazing thing evar!
    Spoiler:
  • Andy wrote:
    Did you buy Virginia?

YES
  • Andy wrote:
    Did you buy Virginia?
    acemuzzy wrote:
    No! But it just got given a [6] and was 69p so that's like only 11.5p per [ ]...
    TheDJR wrote:
    YES

I’m so confused.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    (Re-post from 52 games thread).

Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1X)

Story mode complete + Baba Yaga DLC (880/2250) 41 hours.

Really enjoyed this and have been playing alongside Uncharted 4 (which is not complete yet) which makes for interesting comparisons.

I actually purchased this at launch but never touched it, a move which by fluke was a good one as I've got to experience it in its enhanced form on the X.

Graphically its very good and the HDR led to many moments of flicking back to standard mode to see the difference which is huge.

Gameplay wise its perfect for me, well implemented combat (though towards the end you do feel almost over overpowered), plenty of collectables (which I have to say are far more fun tracking down than in Uncharted) and a reasonable story. Generic sure, but perfectly entertaining, its a video game after all.

I definitely prefer this to Uncharted 4, it feels far smoother and more fun to play, Uncharted feels a bit clunky in comparison with its combat and movement (though to be clear, I am enjoying U4 too, just not as much).

Will be going back for the other DLC and to top off the collectibles. On that note, I also enjoyed being able to take a break from the story at any point and go back to earlier areas whenever I wanted to explore, something I wish I could do in U4.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

9 bananas/10.

• Back to the Future The Game

Picked this up for free the other month and just finished this morning. So it is pretty good but it has its issues. The engine is piss poor and the game is so jerky and rough around the edges. It also has an issue with the puzzles - although I find this with many point and click games. The solutions can just be so bizarre and contain leaps of logic that I just never seem to be able to think of.

Despite this is told a great story with a lovely cast of characters and the 1931 setting was inspired. Plus it had a lot of lovely references and mentions of the films and the music was amazing.

Good if you like point and click games and slightly better if you like the film trilogy.

7 greats out of 10 scotts
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Did you buy Virginia?
    acemuzzy wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    YES
    I’m so confused.

Its one of Dan's favourite games, hence the capitals.
  • Why? Why? W-Why would somebody make it their favourite? Why?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    69p tho. I still might bite. I need to understand the ire and CBA with your YouTube suggestion cos ok I'm off skool init
  • Can’t be assed? It will be literally the same (shit) experience, with less effort, and free.
  • And that's Mr shifty done.

Absolutely cracking game.

Straight to number 2 for the year.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nioh
    Excellent game, very much in the same vein as bloodborne and souls series. Combat is fantastic. The online co-op and match making probably some of the best of any game in any genre.
    It's not perfect, over use of same environment and a level of depth thats utterly ridiculous. I ignored the blacksmith options throughout and didn't suffer at all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS, on N3DS)

My first ever Castlevania game!  Thought it was decent enough, particularly given DS so fairly old now (2005 release).  Definitely prefer the Metroid vibe, and the "Metroidvania" aspects were less interesting (not that many places where "ooh, I wouldn't how I'll get over there" - more just explicit keys/seals to unlock), but an interesting enough place to hunt around, and the basic platforming was reasonable enough I guess.  I got the "first" ending, not sure I can be arsed to do the others, but maybe (though i need two more souls, which is a bit looty...).  Still, a generous [8] I guess?  Nah, I can't, it's another [7].
  • Muzzy, the DS castlevania games (x3) were all really good. Well worth checking out the other two as well.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Battle Group 2

No idea how this got in my Steam lib but it's a pretty throwaway missile defense mobile port that is not offensive.

[5]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Papers, Please

Now this, this, is the best fucking game ever made. I'm buying an EZIC shirt, getting the level 5 Steam badge, 100% the cheevos and lighting a candle for Jorji Costava whom I keep thinking is a subtle George Costanza Seinfeld reference.

[10]
  • Sonic Mania on Switch

A very comprehensive Mega Drive style Sonic remix package.  Only have two genuine complaints

- I really don’t like the finite lives/infinite continues system.  Only really served to make the last levels boring, having to restart from the beginning after dying rather than the last checkpoint.

- Speaking of which the last set of levels were very long and felt pretty drawn out.  Was pleased when they were finished.

It sort of confirmed a few thoughts about old school Sonic – I’ll never love one of these games more than Sonic 2, with the combo of nostalgia (playing co-op in my mates’ bedrooms after primary school, before eventually getting a rom and mastering it as a young adult) and it being my first experience with Sonic.  Each subsequent game in the series I played, seemed I bit less as it felt a bit like I’d seen it all before.

Also prefer the early levels in Sonic, where you’re just flat out and not worrying too much about platforming or avoiding enemies, just going FAST and vaguely guiding Sonic through the level.  Maybe a full game of wide open, easy and quick levels would get old fast but I do find as the challenge ramps up I start losing interest.  I don’t know.  Anyway, pretty good stuff.

Ittle Dew on PC

Brief little block-pushing puzzle game, presented kinda like Zelda.  If this makes sense it looks a bit like Binding of Isaac reimagined as A Link To The Past, a game that I think itself was supposed to look like LTTP reimagined as poo.

It’s very light and the compulsory puzzles aren’t too challenging (there are plenty of bonus difficult puzzles included, but I didn’t worry about those).  It does include combat but it is not good at all.  Very hard to line up your attacks.  The boss fights are okay though.

Decent sense of humour and the few characters are amusing.  I played while listening to podcasts so no idea what it sounded like.  Worth a look but its 2.5 hour length might be a bit off putting.  Not bad, probably will be pretty forgettable though.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!