• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Is anyone else making progress with these 128Gb images?

I’ve progressed as far as ordering an SD card.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Is anyone else making progress with these 128Gb images?
    I’ve progressed as far as ordering an SD card.

Well, that is progress.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • I don’t really understand what they are. Looks like something to fill your SD card with games someone else decided for you. Or am I getting it all wrong?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No games, but everything else should be set up for you avoiding a lot of faff and creating a nice front end that you can dump games into and have them matched up with artwork and additional info that’s sorely lacking on things like Retropie that simply give you a list of machines/titles.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    No games, but everything else should be set up for you avoiding a lot of faff and creating a nice front end that you can dump games into and have them matched up with artwork and additional info that’s sorely lacking on things like Retropie that simply give you a list of machines/titles.

Yes, games, and plenty of them. They have most romsets for the featured machines and different images have different systems, some have ScummVM and Infocom along with Spectrum and C64. Some others only focus on old Arcade and home consoles. The attract mode has video clips of the games as you are moving through the lists.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ooh, the ones I saw didn’t include ROMs.
  • There's a full hyper pie image somewhere out there.
  • Yossarian wrote:

The 128Gb ones have loads, in fact I read somewhere that 64Gb of that is the Attract Mode video clips so you are looking at 64Gb of roms. Obviously the PS1 images will take up a fair amount of space.
  • You can get artwork and other metadata on retropie, its just a long winded scraping process.
    I'm sticking with retropie for now as Ive already spent more time setting up than playing but I will look into this in the future.

128gb sounds a lot if there aren't games involved. Do you dump the entire box art library or something?
    edit: Pidge in with the answer
    A full psx rom set, games only is in the 100s of GB. The one I downloaded is 500gb but about a third is duplicates and demo discs.
    About 1600 titles so, quick maths, roughly 300mb per game on average.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

The 128Gb ones have loads, in fact I read somewhere that 64Gb of that is the Attract Mode video clips so you are looking at 64Gb of roms. Obviously the PS1 images will take up a fair amount of space.

There’s almost nothing on PS1 that I’d have any interest in playing, fortunately.

I’ll be looking for something featuring the 8 and 16 bit systems plus MAME, the stuff I want from 32 bit systems I can add as and when myself. The early days of 3D hold very little appeal to me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There’s almost nothing on PS1 that I’d have any interest in playing, fortunately. I’ll be looking for something featuring the 8 and 16 bit systems plus MAME, the stuff I want from 32 bit systems I can add as and when myself. The early days of 3D hold very little appeal to me.

Einhander was on the one I'm using at the moment, but other than that I agree and the same with N64 stuff. I'm just interested in MAME, older consoles and text adventures from Infocom.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There’s almost nothing on PS1 that I’d have any interest in playing, fortunately.

For me, it’s not that I have no interest in playing PS1 games, but I have a PS1 for playing those. My (still very much imagined) project is a table top machine with an arcade stick and buttons, loaded with 8-bit, 16-bit and arcade stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Entirely doable, wouldn’t break the bank either.
  • There is a ton of stuff on PS1 well worth playing, some of it even 3D.
    FPSs are universally shit to play, as is pretty much anything with a user controlled camera. Still leaves a load of fighters, shmups, puzzlers etc.

Off the top of my head:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Bishi Bashi Special
    Bust a Move
    R - Type Delta
    Final Fantasy 7,8,9
    Vagrant Story
    Chrono Crisis
    Dino Crisis 2
    Crash Bandicoot 1,2,3
    Metal Slug X
    Mr Driller
  • I can’t let you off with that middle sentence.
  • I'm not itching to play anything in particular on PS1, but I'd find plenty to play with a pool of titles to choose from.  We (retroking, myself and a non forum type) went through a brief period of buying joblots of disc-no-box PS titles on Ebay a while ago to play on PS3.  Most were crap, especially the non desirable dirt cheap games - the sort of stuff we used to sell on what was known as 'the spindle' at Game, budget titles like 'Family Games Compendium' - but panning for gold amongst turds is fun with a few beers.  Enjoyed some of the curios like RC Stunt Copter and Gekido.  

If I had full Saturn emulation I'd probably take a week off work.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Saturn did seem to be where it was at for 2D games of that gen.
  • Saturn is definitely a better go to but, yeah, emulation is the fuck.
  • Where do you all get your PS1 rips from?

.cue and .bin files seem to be hard to get hold of.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I got a full set but I can't remember where from.
    Will have a think and get back to you if I remember.
  • http://coolrom.com.au/roms/psx/

I've used that site for years. They had to remove all their Nintendo stuff, but other than that they're still good.
  • They're ISO's my Pi only works with .bin and .cue files.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    So there's a new Raspberry Pi, the 3 Model B+.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of the RPi a small and simple computer? Each time they release a new one I can't help but feel they're just going to confuse people. Any time a Raspberry Pi tutorial starts with a list of models it'll work with, someone's going to glaze over and put the Pi in the loft.

On the other hand, I do quite fancy putting a Pi 3 in a NESPi case and using it for DreamPi purposes. But I already have a Zero (the original one, not the new one) and a 1 (I think it's a Model A) not exactly in the loft, but near as dammit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That's been out a while afaik
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I stand corrected, which I guess proves your point perfectly.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They've just boosted the CPU speed, it's essentially the same.
  • I've been hoping for a Pi4 with better N64 emulation.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Do we have some kind of B&B ROM stockpile? Might be handy as many Nintendo games got pulled last year.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dark Legend of Media Request thread or the BnB Dropbox, try them to start.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yet another new RPi, the 3A+.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!