regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thinking about this today. I think the biggest mistake of my life was trading in my copy of Animal Crossing 3DS (my rationale was that my wife had a copy therefore there was one copy in the house) which meant that Cooltown and Eugene (HEY BUDDY) were lost forever. And probably wiped.

Generally I still have all my old memory cards even though I may have traded in systems. I traded my PS2 but kept the card - this meant when I repicked up a console a few years ago, I loaded up MGS3 and had my European Extreme clear which felt legit. I've still got my memory card for Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker clears.

Does a clear file (not the Japanese kind) mean anything to you? Or is the knowledge you've done it enough?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm off my brain.

Call the authorities
  • You were supposed to be at the airport four hours ago.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Thinking about this today. I think the biggest mistake of my life was trading in my copy of Animal Crossing 3DS (my rationale was that my wife had a copy therefore there was one copy in the house) which meant that Cooltown and Eugene (HEY BUDDY) were lost forever. And probably wiped.

Generally I still have all my old memory cards even though I may have traded in systems. I traded my PS2 but kept the card - this meant when I repicked up a console a few years ago, I loaded up MGS3 and had my European Extreme clear which felt legit. I've still got my memory card for Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker clears.

Does a clear file (not the Japanese kind) mean anything to you? Or is the knowledge you've done it enough?

Knowledge is enough for me.

Recently what pissed me off is that the save game from Witcher3 isn't compatible with Witcher3 GOTY edition. Why? Some vague answer from Witcher3 creators that Sony wanted it that way or some other bullshit. It's meant that my GOTY edition is sitting in the shelf unplayed as I can be arsed to start Witcher3 from scratch again. FYI, I never completed Witcher3 so I thought I'd go back and pickup where my save left off.

I've had save games disappear from old DS and SNES/N64 cartridges only cause they haven't been pulled in for years.
  • Time to let go. None of this matters. I’ve still got lots of shit to get rid of. 

Having said that, it would be cool to load up a late-game save in a decade for AssCrud 2 or something and just wander around. I like that. But by then we will probably be able to buy virtual experiences
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It depends what it is, but mostly I’m not fussed. Indeed, I’ll often find that, if I’m going back to a game I played a long, long time ago, I have lost all of the skills and knowledge I would need to enjoy playing it at that point/level again.

If I’ve completed a game and there’s NG+, I would definitely keep that save.
  • I never purposefully get rid of any saves, but it's only worth going to effort to preserve saves of things where you've done something creative, IMO. Animal Crossing would just about warrant it. The thing I'd really be pissed off to lose is my Fallout 4 save, though; I did some fucking amazing work in that, considering how shonky the build tools are.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like to have the saves in case I want to revisit something, but I never do.

Still, it's all cloud saves now so no more bother.
  • I don't tend to replay or revisit games*, and if I did it'd be from the beginning I presume, so it shouldn't matter to me...yet I know I'd be irritated if I discovered I'd lost any of my endgame saves.  

I've still got memory cards for old consoles too, just not the consoles.  In all likelihood the final level of MDK2 will be forever waiting, but the save is there just in case.

*retro excluded, ofc.  I don't tend replay games since the move to 3D, more or less.
  • Actually, thinking about it, things that are fun to just puts around in, but you have to build up stats, or whatever, for something to be more enjoyable would count, too. I'll probably hang on to my Spider-Man 2 and Just Cause 3 saves as long as I can.
  • When all saves are on a distributed ledger, you will be able to access your save from any location, as well as buy and sell saves. This will cut out middle men like Nintendo, and reg's missus.
  • Depends on the game. I was gutted when I lost my Diddy Kong Racing file, then could never get past the dragon boss again so lost all the space courses.

GTA was always a big one as well, get the islands all open so you can piss about.

I'm not fussed about keeping data as a form of trophy, I'm not much of a completionist anyway so very rare I would have 100%.
  • That's a point, multiplayer games where you have to unlock stuff are worth keeping the saves for.
  • Yeah, especially fightmans and racers.

Losing Smash Bros data would be hard to swallow given trophy collecting.
  • The memory card that had my save for Melee on got corrupted, what a pain.

No one enjoys doing those events again.
  • Fuck trophies, I don't want to pop a disc in for a quick fight/race with someone and find a severely limited set of mans/cars/tracks.
  • I remember keeping our still fresh PS2 on for weeks cos we got Gran Turismo 3 but no memory card. Was up to the endurance races and everything but started again once we got a card, just to make it official.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    High scores, best times and TT ghosts are always worth holding onto.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Saves mean a lot to me because I invest many hours completing long JRPGs and I want the goddamn clear file to prove it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The chip enchanters inside the machine. They've seen everything; y'know, they've seen it all.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Lost all my WiiU saves after Nintendo repaired it. That's all MK8, 3D World, Smash Brothers, Bayonetta and Splatoon progress (although last one might still have had some things saved online) gone. Probably more but I don't remember. I'm not very good at Mario platformers or Smash, so those hurt. MK8 had almost everything unlocked and lots of TT.

I tried to get up to the same point in 3D World, but I just couldn't be bothered. That was the death of the WiiU for me. I do feel like enough time has passed by now to set it up again at some point. I still kept buying games for it, so got Pikmin and Wonderful 101 unplayed for example.
  • I lost near 8yrs of save data on iidx 16 last year. Not as bad as losing it for other games as there's an unlock everything cheat code, but it irks that everytime I get a new high score now I'm thinking, "but is it higher than the score I used to have?"

It'll bother me still on my deathbed. Perhaps.

Probably won't, actually.
  • You'll be too busy thinking of Donkey Kong.
  • I think there's an interesting psychological thing going on with game saves. Most of them are worthless - you'll never go back to that game again and no one else will ever see or care about what you did - but you spent all that time on something that felt worthwhile when you were doing it and the fact that that record exists somehow validates your efforts.

I dunno, I'm intrigued by why, for example, I spent so many hours last year completing hunts in FFXII. It takes hours and hours and then the moment it's done nothing special happens and I just move on to the next game. It's really all about the process itself, not the result, yet the sense of completion is somehow important, as is the idea that 'the game' officially recognises it.
  • It's just a bookmark.
  • I was playing FFXII on my PS2 about 10 years ago and my save got corrupted... I never went back to it. I could probably get the PC version now.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Saves I’m not too fussed about. Config files are sacred. I’ll cry if I lose my cs quickbuy scripts.
  • Brooks wrote:
    It's just a bookmark.

If books couldn’t be flicked through to find your place when it fell out, and progress through books could be compared in any way to progress through most videogames then, yeah, sure, it’s just a bookmark.
  • i've still got 3 n64 memory cards from when I used to race mk64. I'll never throw them away even though i've not touched the game in years. 

Surprised not to hear more about the PS1 era as everything needed a memory card in those days
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!