Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Been watching the Stanley Cup Finals over the last week but looks like LA Kings are going to run away with it now. The first two games in Jersey were close despite Kings dominating possession and chances but switched to LA for game three today and the Devils were just outclassed going down 4-0 in the end.

Landed in Vancouver a bit late to catch any of the Canucks playoff games so will have to wait til next season now but got tickets for a Whitecaps game (Vancouver's MLS team) next weekend so looking forward to that.
  • barren_sky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Tele Viper
    PSN
    barren_sky
    Steam
    Tele_Viper

Send message
    Good luck trying to get play-off tickets for the Canucks. Vancouver takes their team way too seriously. 
    The Whitecaps games can be good fun though, and are worth the cash, especially now that they're a bit better and can compete effectively in their league.

Kings are my favourite US team and I'm excited to see them doing so well!
    British Columbia, Canada
  • So the Heat win.

Lebron finally gets a championship.

The Thunder do well, but finally show their (lack of) age in the finals and lose focus a little bit.

Toughest job as a GM is going to be Sam Presti for the thunder trying to keep the team together, and not going overboard on changes.

Given the young bucks they have (Durrant, Westbrook, harden and Ibaka) it's a matter of keeping them, and making the odd change to the role players. Perkins may have to go, Fisher should only be kept if he's cheap, and I'm not sure if sefalosa is the 2 guard stopper they want. Always hard to find that mix of defense, good shooting and price tag.

If they can keep that young four together for a while, they'll grow and get a title soon enough, you'd think. They've improved every year as it stands, and 23-24 is so young for going for a title.

Not sure who else is going to challenge the Heat in the next couple of years. Everyone else is the wrong side of 30 (LA, SAS, boston, Dallas) or haven't got the pieces together yet (NYC, Magic, LAC). I could see LAC going places next year, assuming Griffin really gets it together and they make a couple of good trades and they stay healthy, but still, they've got to be a year or so off really having a tilt.

Meanwhile: chet's been getting into the history of the game on Facebook and put me on to an awesome doco about Bird and Magic. I'll link when I get home. Either way, worth watching, and I'd nearly say that a love of basketball is secondary as far as enjoying it goes. It's one of those good docos that gets fairly universal interesting territory.

Surprisingly moving towards the end too. The stuff with magic and his battle with Aids is an obvious source of the emotion, but I have to say the stuff about Bird and his injuries is equally amazing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It's a great documentary. Did you read the article on college sports? Watching Hoop Dreams and then reading it side by side will lead to some serious angry feelings. Coaches getting paid millions, and the talent can't afford bus fare. It's a terrible, obvious con. Death to the NCAA!
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Damn, got side tracked. Can you link it here? I can't FB right now, and I have 10 minutes to kill while some work stuff DLs.
  • I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Only a bit of the way through, but it's hard to argue with the idea that they should get paid.
  • Wow. The research and history behind it all is fascintating.
  • Yeah I can't see how this isn't the last word on the argument. It gets even more shocking as it goes along.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Just finished the article. Fascinating and infuriating. Long read, but well worth it.
  • This nearly needs its own thread: Rasheed Wallace is out of retirement, playing for the Knicks. That is awesome.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    If Patrick Ewing did, that would get me interested ;)
  • He's the size of a fucking hummer these days.

Still, sheed is the king of the technical, so that'll be exciting. he may well hit someone this year, I reckon.
  • Any chance of a Shawn Kemp return? 'Here Comes the Rainman'!

Been getting bang into the NFL this season, mainly as a result of the BBC having a bit of coverage this year, and the fact that all the yanks on the US gaming podcasts I listen to keep yapping on about it.

Even went so far as to pick up Madden 13, having a go at an (un)connected career with the 49er's.
    Live & PSN (Vita only) - MattTheSurveyor
  • On holiday in Canada i watched loads of Baseball and went to a Blue Jays game which was amazing fun. I've been before and did the same and i always promise myself i'll continue following baseball when i get home. Can never keep it up though.

Play offs now though i think, might try and follow to the end of the series.

At the least i'll try and watch the world series!

Its pretty hard when its not just on TV constantly.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    He's the size of a fucking hummer these days. Still, sheed is the king of the technical, so that'll be exciting. he may well hit someone this year, I reckon.

Never realised he had a son that plays though. Obviously not at the same level.
  • Exactly the same here, I used to be really into basketball, collected the cards, bought merchandise etc. and it was easier because Channel 4 had a couple of shows a week, but if you have to make too much of an effort to keep up with the goings on it makes it much harder.

The NFL app on iPhone is good, and ESPN do a podcast 4 or 5 times a week that previews and reviews games, so that is helping. Will be interesting to see if I am still into it come January.
  • Surveyor wrote:
    Any chance of a Shawn Kemp return? 'Here Comes the Rainman'!

Surely his nose has fallen off. Coke habit much.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Surveyor wrote:

Please don't disgrace my hero.

• Surveyor wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Surveyor wrote:

Please don't disgrace my hero.

Just read his Wiki page, oh dear. I had forgotten about his chubby stage at the Cav's too!

• Bengals are actually 3 and 1 I don't believe it.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Bengals are actually 3 and 1 I don't believe it.

Must be a widely reported misprint surely? 

49ers also 3-1 which after road games against the Packers, Jets and Vikings I'm very happy with. Still not convinced that Smith has what it takes but the 49ers defence is ridiculously good.
  • Still assistant coaching out west with Helping Hoops. We ended up playing full games with the kids last night. Goddamn running with 14 year olds kills my body.

Gotta be ready for some fast catches as a big man too, with these kids throwing some wild passes. There's some great players there, and they're coming on really well, but it's funny how hard it is to get kids to make a. the right decision and b. in a timely fashion sometimes.

It's also funny how much they forget the simple things. They'll make some crazy lay up over their shoulder, then have a simple open layup and get lazy and miss.

My pet hates at the moment which I really want them to get:

1. Actually elevate properly and go up strong when you have a shot right under the basket.

2. On a fast break, pass at the right time, and make it a quick simple pass, if that's what's required. They get told to wait for the defender to commit, which is exactly right, but they then wait a beat too long and the defender is right on them, then they try and fake, then throw a weak pass, and suddenly the guy doing the lay up has had to stop and the defender can get back to him. Simple quick pass, then the other player on the break can just run without breaking stride and the defender can't get him.

3. Fucking box out on rebounds. The really young kids spend way too much time ball watching on shots, and then wonder how the offensive player is behind them putting the ball in on the follow.

• Music is shite, but the plays are awesome.

• If you like your retro NBA, this is an awesome youtube channel. Full games, good pic quality (depending on original source, obviously). Watched C Webb get 50+ points the other day in a classic with Indiana.

Full doco on the Dream Team in HD. AWESOME.

Also, I just got the nod to coach an under 14s team. Super excited. Start next week.
  • Posting Spree!!!!

Picked up a new ball today. unadvertised, but new Molten for nearly half price. nabbed a new pump, whistle and needles for pump for $20 less than I was planning to pay for the ball by itself. Win.

Can't wait for Saturday and my first day coaching a team!

Meanwhile, watched game 4 of the 04 Finals curtesy of the above 'tube channel. Hadn't seen any full games of that series. Pistons coming through as underdogs playing massive D with the two Wallaces, LA made up of a still potent Shaq, an off the boil Kobe, and two guys trying to steal a ring before they retired (Malone and Payton).

Malone should never have left Utah. Watching him sit on the bench with a wrecked knee while the pistons dismantled the lakers is sad for a guy who'd been so big for so long.

Payton, of course, managed to sneak onto Miami's roster the year after, with Shaq, and finally get his ring.

Rasheed Wallace, for all his crazy, is also a fucking monster centre/forward with an awesome low post game, and unstopable shooting action. Beautiful high release, long arms, amazing to watch.
  • I was a huge Supersonics fan when they got to the finals, 96-97ish I think, at the same time Stockton & Malone were the big oppo in the West, just like robots, not overly pleasing on the eye but always got the job done.

I wasn't aware Gary Peyton was in the Heat team this year? good for him, capped off a decent career, that guy could defend his ass off!

Some big results in the NFL this week, Texans finally getting beat and my 49'ers getting smashed by the Giants.
  • No, Payton was in the heat team in 05, when they won with Shaq and Wade.

You'll be pleased to know that the wheels are in motion for an arena in Seattle. Which in the crazy world of US sports, tends to come before the team. Even crazier if they get called the sonics, as a lot of the franchise records are shared with thunder and sonics.

Nothing boring about stockton and malone to me. Just magnificent pick and roll ball for like 18 years.

Kemp was a champ in that finals run, mind. Even though Rodman totally took him apart in the third quarter of game 6.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Also, I just got the nod to coach an under 14s team. Super excited. Start next week.

I felt like the coach of the globetrotters. The generals fielded some under 12s (and one under 10) kids against my well and truly 14 under 14s. 90 something to 20 later, I didn't have to do much, but sub them out when they got too silly and went for backboard passes and started trying to block each other.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!