Just completed
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I have really cooled on golf story. I don't think I liked it :( 

It seems pretty divisive.  I'm only 4hrs in but it's fair to say I'm loving it.  I only played through the GBA Mario Golf game last year, so it's nice to be putt-putting around and levelling up a character again.  Golf is a fantastic spoonful of sugar to help me take my RPG medicine, give me a three snap over a battle system every time.
  • It’s probably quite telling that I played it a lot when I first got it, then left it alone pretty much until this weekend, when I battered through the rest.

To me, the rap battle is a good metaphor for the whole game; it doesn’t take itself seriously, although not necessarily as funny as it could or should be, and desperately needs an editor, as it appears to run with every single idea they wrote down, and would’ve been twice as good were it half the length.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A bit of a flurry from me...

Cosmic Express (Android)

I thought this was excellent.  Bite-sized puzzles which were all utterly fair, often had "obvious" answers in hindsight, allow deduction and logic, but are complex enough to be non-trivial, a good set of levels, variety within, and aesthically pleasing answers to boot.  Yes it's £4.49 for a phone game, but it's right up there for me.  I flirted with a very rare muzz [10] in fact, but think I'll call it a [9].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Last Guardian (PS4)

I still haven't got through the thread - but i'm very much in two minds here.  Artistically, it really is quite something - in terms of animation, in terms of the relationship between man and beast, but also in terms of the architecture, its depth, and the general feel of the world.

But in terms of gameplay, it did frustrate at points [beyond what I can put down to deliberate "it's a boy controlling a beast, let's make the AI a bit dumb], and by the end I was kinda glad it was over tbh.  An enjoyable journey for the most part, but chores along the way (which I won't detail here, lest spoilers).

30% [10], 30% [6], 40% [8] - it's an [8] from me, I'm afraid.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So yes, Cosmic Express > TLG.  You heard it here first.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    DATA WING (Android)

Asteroids, without the asteroids.  Fly your triangle about, speed round corners, get places fast.  All kinda fun enough really - particularly enjoyed the turning mechanic with the outside edge of the bend actively speeding you up.  Nonsense plot though, which was just unhelpfully tedious, and not really enough variety in the levels - but it's free, so I can't really complain!  A classic [7] really.
  • I’ve been playing that on iOS.
  • Bayonetta, again, but for the first time in years.

It's like going to a restaurant where you're served a great many incredibly tasty dishes but, every few courses, the chef comes out and shits in your mouth.

4/5
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is that in Shoreditch?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Another flurry...

Star Battle (Android)

Simple but kinda fun puzzler - with free levels available for the curious at http://starbattle-puzzle.com/play-online/

One-star levels generally took not that much puzzling, but the later two-star ones require careful progress.  No real variety to it, but a decent set of levels, so an easy [7].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hue (PS4)

I thought the main mechanic was pretty cool, and liked most of the puzzles - it was just a bit slow to move around / get through them, with the platforming not quite tight enough.  Which came to a head in the very last level where you suddenly had to do a quick-fire button combo which was really out of keeping with the rest of the game which kinda left a sour taste in my mouth.  The plot was also stupid and just got in the way.  A stingy [6].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Red (Android)

50 levels, 50 completely different puzzles.  Fun idea, most puzzles easy but have the meta challenge of working out wtf you're meant to be doing.  A few were pretty damn obtuse, but heh it's free.  An easy [6].
  • I tried Hue, couldn't get on with it.  Probably gave up on it a bit too early.
  • That's RE5 and revelations out of the way.
    Highly polished 3rd person shooters but a far cry from the Romero-esque original trilogy. There's a lot of biohazard though so stays true to its original name.

Next up RE6....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hocus (Android)

Decidedly meh puzzle game. Kinda Escher cubey rolly thing, which I can't help feeling should have been better than it was. I don't think my brain could cope with how the levels worked, so more often than not I'd hit the exit by random, or the levels were oddly 1D anyway, desire appearances.

An underwhelmed [4]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Doom. Finally got around to this after buying it ages ago. I did start it before, but didn’t get very far with it, and playing it from the start, I did feel like I had to push through the early levels a bit, and I felt like the constant upgrading and unlocking detracted from the experience a bit, but once I had found and upgraded the super shotgun and gauss cannon, I had a great time. Fingers crossed there’s some kind of NG+ mode as I wouldn’t mind maybe trying a higher level, but really don’t think I can be arsed if doing so means starting with a pistol again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh, the cheevo for maxing all of your guns made me smile too:

Spoiler:
  • It's one of those games I find myself missing a bit since finishing it, even though I've been enjoying other things.  The same thing happened with Yakuza 0 too, the next few games are fine, but it's like going with Betty/thinking of Wilma.  I put off playing it for a while, but DOOM's definitely one of the best games I've played this gen.
  • JonB wrote:
    Titanfall 2 Surprised how quickly the last few missions went. It's a good final stretch but doesn't come close to the best missions in the middle part of the game (the 'time travel' bit especially). Overall it's pretty much exactly what you want from a linear FPS campaign. Guns with a good punch to them, much spectacle, and some neat ideas. More than anything it keeps giving you new tools to play with, and really seems to want you to have fun with them, which is nice.  There's not a lot of challenge, but that's what the other difficulties are for. Might go back one day, but that'll do for now.

Me too and I pretty much agree with all of this.

Really exciting campaign. I also liked the bit near the end with the pistol which made you feel bad ass...

Had to drop the difficulty for the final boss battle but only due to lack of patience with the third stage..

It's a pity you can't mix and match from the load outs. Pretty generous with the trophies too got over 50% which is good for me.

I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yellow(Android) 50 levels, 50 completely different puzzles.  Fun idea, most puzzles easy but have the meta challenge of working out wtf you're meant to be doing.  A few were pretty damn obtuse, but heh it's free.  An easy [6].

Well actually it was less fun, particularly given Red was so similar.  So I'm downgrading to a [5] despite being basically the same game.
  • Contact – DS

Bit of a mixed bag action JRPG by Grasshoper. 

It’s a bit quirky in both tone and execution.  Story’s not exactly funny, but it doesn’t take itself very seriously EG: the bad guys moonlight in a synth pop band.  It’s mostly light and enjoyable.

Didn’t really get along with the mechanics of the game though.  There’s a lot of DS faffing about; peeling off virtual stickers and shit like that.  One of your specials needs you to blow into the microphone to inflate a balloon. 

Your character finds outfits that grant him special abilities that can only be used while he’s in that outfit.  That’s fine except you can only swap outfits at your base.  This is often no good – one dungeon in particular needs you to use 4 different outfits to beat it (not just to find all its secrets, just to get through it.  You effectively have to clock it (and the area leading up to it) 4 times!  Tedious).  Also you can only prepare food in your chef outfit, which is not a good combat outfit at all.  As such I didn’t bother with cooking.

On the cooking, food grants your character buffs, but they only last a while, and you only have so much food in your gut.  It is an interesting idea.  It’s a bit like potions in Witcher 3.  Unfortunately like that game, it’s more mucking around than it is worth.  It’s just easier to spam health potions even before worrying about preparing your food.

Thought it was just okay, but glad to have finally completed this game after owning it for like a decade or something.  Hurray for the 52 Games thread.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Shadow of the Colossus PS4. Just superb despite the last colossus.

10 out of 10.
  • Mario Odyssey: doesn't do anything exceptionally inventive, but is a damned near perfect version of what it does. Still has shoehorned in motion controls. 5/5

Bayonetta 2: Removes the random instadeath, combat feels better, less stupid mini-games. Adds stupid, unskippable walk-with-sometime "cutscenes", thematically doesn't feel as tongue in cheek, story isn't as bat shit and everything just comes across as bad animé. 4/5
  • Sine Mora Ex
    Was playing this last week. It was nearly something I could've really liked. I've always preferred a horizontally scrolling shooter to a vertical one, and it looks great, has some nice ideas and loads of impressive boss battles. It's also not too difficult, which is a rarity nowadays. I played through it a number of times, in normal story mode, then challenging, then challenging in arcade mode. But I didn't get as far as doing a 1CC, even though it was attainable, because there are so many minor irritations. The main sprite is too big, it's not always clear where the foreground scenery is, having to recollect power ups after getting hit just doesn't really make sense, and there are a few places where it's possible to get a sudden game over based on small margins of error. In the end, it's just not worth trying to get good as the systems aren't reliable enough. But I got a solid 10 hours out of it so I'm still reasonably happy. About a [7].
  • Abzu

Utterly beautiful, stunning, picturesque, very easy to play and enjoy, and finished it in two sittings. Several points in the game are serious wow moments but can't say I thought the overall was good. Got a bit too Ecco the Dolphin for me.
    Well worth a rental or get it for less than a fiver and you'll not be disappointed.

8 basking sharks out of whales
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It would’ve been better if they’d understood the strengths of they’re own game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    It would’ve been better if they’d understood the strengths of they’re own game.
    Catching a grammar pedant making a grammar mistake is always fun.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A grammatical mistake, Shirley?
  • Golf Story
    I really liked it, I think enough has been said about it over in the Switch thread. Galf is shite but an amusing easter egg. It's clear a lot of love has gone into it. 

One under par.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!