Best Game/Movie Crossover...
  • AJ wrote:
    Pish, old news. Unless you count the teleports, Half Life didn't have any cuts I can think of and that was, what, '98?. :p
    It definitely had loading screens between levels though... didn't it?
  • No, it had mid-level loading where everything just stopped moving for a few seconds.
  • Ah, fair play, I can't remember most of HL 1 & 2. Must have been the old one-way doglegs/lifts and the like, or could you backtrack all the way back to the beginning?
  • I know there were quite a few one-way lifts and doors, often at different points to the loading, but I honestly can't remember if I ever tried to backtrack through a loading point or not.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I played HL1 on the Dreamcast, the loading was atrocious. Cross (or backtrack) through a mid-level loading point and everything would stop for 30 seconds to load in, and I do mean 30 seconds, I timed it.
  • Yeah, I hear the console ports weren't great. I was a PC gamer at the time, so it almost seemed like a kind of magic where everything was just one big level.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cloverfield managed one take, right?
    That was mad gamey...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Game > movie > game you say?

reviewstreetfightermoviegame-3.jpg

Ahhh. “Fond” memories. I had this free with my PSOne from Toys R Us. I couldn’t afford another game so had to play this and the demo disc until I got paid again.

• AJ wrote:
    Yeah, I hear the console ports weren't great. I was a PC gamer at the time, so it almost seemed like a kind of magic where everything was just one big level.

Wasn't Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver an early attempt at a single world with minimal/no loading. Hell, even Captain Blasto on PS1 tried that too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I played HL1 on the Dreamcast, the loading was atrocious. Cross (or backtrack) through a mid-level loading point and everything would stop for 30 seconds to load in, and I do mean 30 seconds, I timed it.

Unfinished/unreleased port though right?  Did that happen in the PC version?  I missed the boat with HL.  Was waiting for the Dreamcast game, then only played no.2 on Xbox, which was impressive in some ways but still a bit iffy.
  • Vela wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Yeah, I hear the console ports weren't great. I was a PC gamer at the time, so it almost seemed like a kind of magic where everything was just one big level.

Wasn't Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver an early attempt at a single world with minimal/no loading. Hell, even Captain Blasto on PS1 tried that too.

Yeah, Kain was super impressive tech for the time. Had cut scenes though, so wishy count here. Never heard of Captain Blasto, I'll have to look that up.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Captain Blasto

A friend of Captain String?

• Do music crossover games count cos both 50 Cent games weren't all that bad. The second one Blood In The Sand was actually legit.
  • Blasto was a 3d platform shooting game that looked like Marvin the Martian and had Phil Hartman doing the voice. Stereotypical barrel chested sexist space hero from the 50s. Shit controls but I liked it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!