Twin Peaks - The Owls Are Not What They Seem (SPOILERS)
‹ Previous12
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm a little obsessed with Twin Peaks at the minute, as is my wife, so I'd love to discuss it with anyone else who is as nuts as us. We are at the point now of consuming all text material (eg Cooper's diary, Laura's diary, Secret History) to try to learn more. Here's my entire plot synopsis of the main thread (so ignoring things like Ed/Nadine, Renault and so on)
    1) the ring was taken by Lewis from the lewis and Clark expeditions and became cursed because of that.
    2) it passed through a lot of gens, and presidents, including Nixon,
    3) in 1960s, the blue rose stuff happens, trying to find the other side. The ring is the key.
    4) in 1987, David Bowie finds the other side, and knows how it will all end (pointing at cooper etc)
    5) twin peaks happens, but Laura and Bob are both cosmic creations of ultimate good and evil (Judy)
    6) Laura knows her fate (FWWM)
    7) cooper is taken over by his evil doppleganger and the show ends.
    8) the return -
    The doppleganger tries to do what he can to stop good cooper returning. He creates a tulpa of cooper (Dougie) and sets up the NY observations room
    9) cooper comes back, but catatonic after his experiences in the lodge.
    10) evil cooper tries to fight against going back, as only one can exist at a time
    11) Harry Dean Stanton plays a lovely song on his guitar.
    12) it has been ordained that evil would be defeated *punched* and Bob is gone
    13) cooper is not satisfied and continues his search for Laura to protect her, into a new dimension
    14) he fucks it.

There we go. Thoughts?
  • I don't think there's really any one grand unifying theory, other than Laura's horrible fate is inevitable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes but let's discuss
  • I mean that is a synopsis, yes

The electricity/steam stuff is what I like
  • He definitely fucks it, that's fair.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought the reason Cooper came back the way he did was because Bob knew the Tulpa would mess up the process and Cooper wouldn’t be able to defend himself as the apparently simpleton Dougie/Coop hybrid.

As much as I loved Dougie, I really wanted proper Coop back earlier, damn you Lynch. I have the blu-ray waiting for a rewatch, I’m expecting to watch it less frustrated at what I wanted it to be and enjoy it for the masterpiece it is.
    Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    He definitely fucks it, that's fair.

We talking Leland here or lynch
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mannaboy wrote:
    I thought the reason Cooper came back the way he did was because Bob knew the Tulpa would mess up the process and Cooper wouldn’t be able to defend himself as the apparently simpleton Dougie/Coop hybrid.

As much as I loved Dougie, I really wanted proper Coop back earlier, damn you Lynch. I have the blu-ray waiting for a rewatch, I’m expecting to watch it less frustrated at what I wanted it to be and enjoy it for the masterpiece it is.

We watched it all on blu rays and the wait for proper coop is fucking interminable.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Brooks wrote:

No, Cooper. He will not let it lie.
  • The edit of the last two episodes side by side is quite fun
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Brooks wrote:

No, Cooper. He will not let it lie.

I mean that made my wife cry
  • Twin Peaks memes are also excellent

14690899_313310075715745_4986611463180682410_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=ab7b3560cea5d82899fb52dcfb8b658e&oe=5B51E971

30688999_571462406567176_6364279734599155712_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=5115586ba78ae0a9a3fe50e049182589&oe=5B55116B

30629646_571564206556996_1546907723776393216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=71d493a5a655fa423cd84796e145ee66&oe=5B747C62

30531428_570280263352057_3613386385903321088_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=257cb348d43524f51c0c28f77270f5c2&oe=5B6CE831

14440891_296038314109588_7322882555240214031_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c363266d272b34705b6ca7249e94f1ac&oe=5B297333

29790956_566400717073345_5045411920522878649_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=87ba6d4ce357cc64b1fe1f2d43698a3e&oe=5B55D05F

29791305_566399950406755_2082762869706177591_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=0aa80b2895f93a7f59782aa4101e2e40&oe=5B70199C
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well that's us
  • regmcfly wrote:
    mannaboy wrote:
    I thought the reason Cooper came back the way he did was because Bob knew the Tulpa would mess up the process and Cooper wouldn’t be able to defend himself as the apparently simpleton Dougie/Coop hybrid. As much as I loved Dougie, I really wanted proper Coop back earlier, damn you Lynch. I have the blu-ray waiting for a rewatch, I’m expecting to watch it less frustrated at what I wanted it to be and enjoy it for the masterpiece it is.
    We watched it all on blu rays and the wait for proper coop is fucking interminable.

However frustrating it was, I think it was pretty smart keeping him to a minimum. 
    Think having classic coop in it earlier might have bogged it down in the past too much, riding on nostalgia rather than doing new stuff.

Was worth the wait for this moment though
    giphy.gif
  • Where should i start if iv never watched it?
    Remember my mum watching it all the time back when it was new and interesting but it wasn't the A-team or knight rider so it wasn't worth my attention.

I fancy a try of it now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Start at S1 e1 then power through. After S1 read Laura's diary, then into S2 then fire walk with me, then S3. Basically the order they were made
  • It's possible to do a synopsis?  A single synopsis?

Also, the crush I had on Mädchen Amick at the time was almost as powerful as the plot was convoluted.
  • Yeah you have to do it all, even slog through the relentless goofiness of later S2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Yeah you have to do it all, even slog through the relentless goofiness of later S2.

To be fair I enjoyed
    Spoiler:
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Maybe I should rewatch season 3 with alternating earlier season episodes, might ease the Coop frustration. Got the blu-ray also for the special features, doubt they’ll shed much light on the story of season 3, but hoping for some nice background stuff with the cast and crew.
    Things can only get better.
  • My poor gf, who was so into twin peaks. Excited to watch the new season. 20 years it's taken! I don't think she was born when the show started. I was excited also.

We got to the bit where.... Jesus I can't even fucking remember. Utter gobshite from start to finish. Gimmicky, vacant shite.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    No no Lynch is an aute...sorry lads sorry
  • He might be a bit on the spectrum tbh.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    )15. After 16 filler episodes, Coku defeats Bobgeta and uses Laura 18s spirit bomb to destroy Majin Judy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean I forgot the bit where the guy literally punches Bob out of existence
  • Ah man. After a few days post finishing this I feel pangs. :(

That finale really percolates and I’m glad the show wasn’t what I thought I wanted in my brain and false capitalist heart

What’s really cool is That it seems if one watches it again then then one can extract a different feeling from it. The first time round it’s like watching something as if one is a baby bumping and wobbling around a living room for the first time.

If anyone does a watch the return I would strongly strongly suggest watching the film because by the sounds of it de facto an essential bridge.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It is but in the film something like
    Spoiler:
    is literally in one scene, so don't worry too much. We did S1-2-3 then film and flora really liked that
  • I was listening to the idle thumbs podcast after I completed the whole series (it cemented my feelings about first v second watches - listening to them blunder through while I was a god of knowledge was quite amusing). it feels like there’s a nice dollop of richness if one has the film in mind (little details with regards to lodge stuff get echoed, masks and stuff).

I imagine however that watching the return first will add more to the film in the same way so it’s not a net loss which ever the order.

• I have been writing for the Twin Peaks website 25 Years Later, the last while. You might enjoy this piece I did about why the sense of mystery is so important.

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/12/17/twin-peaks-the-mystery-as-holy/

I got a great Christmas present some four months back when Mark Frost read and retweeted it.

I think on the subject of what the finale means, I would be close to my friend Ivan Bukta's interpretation here:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/10/15/the-scream-of-empowerment/

I don't see it as necessarily negative or dark. I think there's a lot to be said for the symbolism of the lights going out, given the many, many references to electricity throughout the series but most of all in the final two episodes. Electricity is the means by which entities travel between dimensions. When the lights go out in Laura Palmer's home, I feel that may suggest that the channels between worlds are closed, by Laura/Carrie's realization that she is the one. It is a happy and a sad ending, Coop and Laura being trapped in an alternate timeline/dimension.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I did not regret.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!