Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Three had the sharks, which were simultaneously the best and worst thing about it.

Did they jump?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    4 wasn't that bad. It wasn't trying to be anything cerebral, and I thought it did what it was trying to do pretty well. Screw the haters.
  • Bob wrote:
    3 is the clear high point, Best location, Best characters, Most fun. Even the guy who made two thinks they made a mistake with the re-population checkpoints. It's not aged well.

4 is a solid entry.

Check points were easily avoided.
    3 were the best.
  • Bastion.
    It was fucking fantastic. Visuals, combat, story, voice acting, fantastic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bastion’s great.
  • I found the combat dull, got bored and gave up with Bastion. Sometimes I think I'm missing something when it comes to certain games.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I gave up on Bastion too, did my best to like it but it just never grabbed me. No idea how far I got in the end.
  • Bastion never clicked with me either.
    Which is weird as I'm a sucker for 2d games like that.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The combat was merely serviceable, but the game was short enough that it didn’t grate for me. The art direction, style and narration was enough to keep me going.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The combat was merely serviceable, but the game was short enough that it didn’t grate for me. The art direction, style and narration was enough to keep me going.

This is basically the supergaint formula.

Polished, lovely audio visual, a trick or two with combat, but make sure not to make it too difficult, and make any exploring of the more nuanced bits of battle entirely optional.

Bastion combat pretty straight forward relative to transistor and pyre.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • AJ wrote:
    I found the combat dull, got bored and gave up with Bastion. Sometimes I think I'm missing something when it comes to certain games.

This was my fourth attempt. On my previous 3 starts i got bored but kind of felt there was something decent there. 4th time i persevered and got lucky.
  • I'll keep it in mind to try again, but I've so much else to play I'm not sure I'll ever get round to it.
  • Is Bastion a dungeon crawler?  I don't tend to like them, Baldur's gate etc, but it turns out a simple thing like a neat voice over can be enough to see me through, definitely enjoyed it in the end.  Plus it was quite short iirc, I was thinking 3-4hrs, although HLTB has it at 6.5.
  • Much more casual than Baldur's gate. Levelling up doesn't matter much. Combat is more action-ey. Story is much less traditional fantasy. I'd say it's more like Torchlight but even more casual than that. Inventory management etc is irrelevant.

Guess what it reminds me of? Dark Souls :) I think i just have Dark Souls on the brain.
  • it's pretty much a straight action game imo.
  • It's a more simplistic, linear Zelda, basically.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Uncharted 4 (Story/Hard).

Grew on me as it went on, engaging story and as ever likable characters.

The combat can be clunky, and the QTE at the close almost ruined the experience for me, totally breaks the flow and pissed me off royally (took me a while to progress past it). The slide bits were also unnecessary.

Looks amazing (for ref I played on a slim so 1080p HDR) and the enviroments are wonderfully detailed. I (just) prefer Tomb Raider but more because it doesn't hack me off like this does, this is arguably the better story/adventure.

Great ending too though I wish it was a few minutes longer.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mario Run (Android)

Extremely well-crafted levels, as I guess you'd expect from Nintendo - but they've really ported over to the one-press mechanic cleverly.  Lots of content, nice graphics, a solid [8] given what it is.

(I've rescued princess, but not yet gone all coins, by any means.  And have only unlocked/done one star level, FWIW.)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Refunct (PC)

Nice indie platformer, simple concept, well executed.  Not much to it really - short to complete, but it did what it tried to do.  A straightforward [7].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Monument Valley 2 (Android)

I really liked the first one - and this doesn't really match it in my eyes.  No real invention, and while the aesthetics are as pleasant as always, there was just nothing new.  And it seemed shorter/easier.  A disappointed [6].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PEG (PC)

Pretty simple puzzler.  Pretty dull really, a few levels quite hard, but never very satisfying, and it was dull as to look at.  A bored [5].
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Monument Valley 2 (Android) I really liked the first one - and this doesn't really match it in my eyes.  No real invention, and while the aesthetics are as pleasant as always, there was just nothing new.  And it seemed shorter/easier.  A disappointed [6].

Hmm. I’ll save my money then.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hmm. I'm close to finishing the first one (2 more levels to go if it's 10 total, which it suggests it is) and it hasn't been that challenging yet. I'm enjoying it, but it hasn't blown me away yet.
  • It wasn’t a challenge at all. Only last level of main game and last level of Forgotten Shores had any kind of challenge.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Arkham VR.

Going in I was fully expecting this to be "just" about the thrill of standing int he Batcave, putting on the cowl etc. It does do all of that, and it's amazing, but it's also much more. It's every inch a RS game and fits brilliantly, and surprisingly, within the trilogy. 

Another example of just how amazing RS are at understand and communicating what it means to be Batman through gameplay, here exploring entirely different facets of that fantasy and in ways that could only work in VR.  

It is short (about an hour maybe?), but it's wonderful and absolutely a lesson on the power of VR to provide completely new experiences. 

I'm sounding a bit over the top here possibly, but I'm excited about this one. 

Along with Star Wars VR, this has completely turned me from VR skeptic to true believer. 

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It wasn’t a challenge at all. Only last level of main game and last level of Forgotten Shores had any kind of challenge.
    Was doing the last level of the main game last night and indeed got stuck. Was tired so didn't try to solve it. Was just wondering how the second one would feel easier if the first one hasn't been that hard yet.
  • Bioshock Infinite.

Played on PS3 when released, playing remaster on XBox One X. Still looks good, but there are some extremely dodgy textures. The NPC facial duplication is ridiculous. Excluding key characters, there can only be about six or seven different faces in the whole game. It’s a fine yet repetitive shooter and screams ‘we had lots of ideas, but didn’t really know how to implement them’.  Elizabeth is a perfect example,  a wonderful but completely underused character who throws ammo at you when your supplies are running low and that’s about it.

Irrational have created another thrilling world, but it’s not a patch on Rapture. There’s no sense of mystery or fear of what might be lurking around the next corner, you simply wonder when the next wave of enemies will appear.

I think this would be an eight, but loses a point for the appalling final battle, so seven sky-hooks out of ten.
  • I don't get to grace this thread very often but just completed Quantum Break.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, the time mechanics are sound and they open up some pretty cool ways to dispose of your foes. Cover mechanics are a bit shit but that's being picky. Graphically it hits a sweet spot on the Xbox, when time fractures it's especially splendid. Story is well delivered and just about makes sense, full of plot holes but it's still an enjoyable romp. There are quite large chunks of fmv (if it's still called that) with real actors (including the guy who plays little finger in GOT) which I didn't mind but they do go on a bit.

One of the best games this gen for me and gets 88 flux capacitors out of 100. I'd love a sequel.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'd prefer a new Alan, but I'd take more Jack.  It's a nice little straightforward action game tarted up to the nines.  In fairness it's a solid [6] with a ton of varnish, but I'd still give it ten digits minus two little fingers.
  • I haven't touched Alan Wake but got codes for both games I think in QB. I've not got loads of time at my disposal at the moment but will try and make a start on AW to get a taster.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!