Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    The Dems would rather blame Trump and the GOP for rates hikes than propose something useful like single payer.

That’s not entirely true.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/healthcare-congress-bernie-sanders-single-payer-obamacare/533595/

Sanders is an exception though - unfortunately one person does not make a political will. There’s judges grass roots support for it, but since when was the DNC ever actually interested in what voters think? It’s all about protecting the interests of insurers and the AMA.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Did you read the article?
    For the first time ever, a majority of House Democrats have signed up to support “Medicare for all” single-payer legislation, a threshold crossed in the aftermath of the presidential election. A number of influential Senate Democrats have also expressed support for single payer

It’s not official party policy yet, the DNC aren’t on board, but there’s a lot more than Sanders calling for it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I suppose it's not always what's said, but how it's said...
    Here's a thought... Perhaps what Kanye really wanted to say, was this...

I think the part of media that romanticizes criminal behavior, things that a person will say against women, profanity, being gangster, having multiple children with multiple men and women and not wanting to is prevalent. When you look at the majority of shows on television they placate that kind of behavior.

The American penchant for extreme polarisation wasn't entirely helpful to Kanye West this time around.

Funnily enough, it wasn't very helpful to Cosby when he dropped it back in the day either. But that's a reasonable point, well made.

But... Well...

Cosby...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian wrote:
    For the first time ever, a majority of House Democrats have signed up to support “Medicare for all” single-payer legislation, a threshold crossed in the aftermath of the presidential election. A number of influential Senate Democrats have also expressed support for single payer

It’s not official party policy yet, the DNC aren’t on board, but there’s a lot more than Sanders calling for it.

Ok, that’s good news but still a million miles from ever being party policy. The fact that they’d rather defend Obamacare than seriously and officially propose a fairer alternative says a lot.

I guess I just think that the party leadership are all useless, self-interested cunts who are really no better than their republican counterparts that they apparently oppose. In the end it’s all about having power and wealth at any cost regardless of who has to get hurt on the way there.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @Yossarian

Also... Still relevant on a multitude of levels...

So tbh, there's only so much commentary about Kanye I'm going to bother with.
    But the wider argument needs to take hold.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Ok, that’s good news but still a million miles from ever being party policy. The fact that they’d rather defend Obamacare than seriously and officially propose a fairer alternative says a lot.

I guess I just think that the party leadership are all useless, self-interested cunts who are really no better than their republican counterparts that they apparently oppose. In the end it’s all about having power and wealth at any cost regardless of who has to get hurt on the way there.

While I certainly understand a degree of cynicism, I think no better than the Republicans is giving the republicans far too much credit.

Look at the GOP positions on individual voting rights, gerrymandering, hyper-partisan voting records, dropping taxes for the wealthy while removing protections for the less well-off, on repeatedly violating the spirit of the constitution in order to get their own way in the face of a democratically-elected president from the other side who they simply dislike. Honestly, the Republican Party has reached a point where it shouldn’t be considered much more than a lunatic fringe, way outside of mainstream political debate, the fact that it isn’t is a failure of the US system. The dems, while self-interested and far too cosy with big business at least generally conduct themselves within democratic norms, as problematic as some of those norms can sometimes be.

As for single payer being party policy, the fact is that it’s a presidential system. When the primaries start, I guarantee that there will be at least one democratic candidate running on a platform of single payer. Should they win, it will be party policy, at least up until the point they lose (if they do). This is just how things tend to go under this type of system.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Dyno, I’ll try to have a look at that later.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    No big deal... It's all of 15 seconds. :D
  • @Yossarian: can’t really disagree with any of that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Syrian state-run media said Israel struck a military outpost near the capital, Damascus, on Tuesday. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the missiles targeted depots and rocket launchers that likely belonged to Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard in Kisweh, killing nine people.

Tensions between Israel and Iran are high over Iran's efforts to expand its military presence in Syria, where it is a key ally of President Bashar Assad. Repeated airstrikes attributed to Israel have killed Iranian fighters and prompted threats of reprisal from Tehran. President Donald Trump's announcement Tuesday that the U.S. would withdraw from the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran has triggered uncertainty and threatened to spark more unrest in the Middle East.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ap-netanyahu-to-meet-putin-amid-new-round-of-syria-strikes-2018-5
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This short Twitter thread is well worth a read, it looks like Cohen may be on the hook for bank fraud in relation to the Stormy Daniels thing and money from a Russian oligarch (who has been interviewed by Mueller) is involved. https://mobile.twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/993970201136902145

Readable format: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/993970201136902145.html
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s genuinely less readable than the original thread.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I disagree

Executive summary.pdf

with your assessment.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, it's worse on mobile than desktop, but most people use mobile these days so the point stands.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/09/iran-fires-20-rockets-syria-golan-heights-israel

Iran and Israel at it again.
    Let's hope this doesn't escalate....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Looks like things are pointing in that direction, but after the North Korean turn around, I wouldn't bet for or against right now.

If I was betting, I'd think the Americans wouldn't want it to go that far right now, because the Russians are with the Iranians (in wanting to support Assad)... And that would be a big mess.

That's probably why the Israelis want to talk to Russia right now...

To see if they can broker a deal that allows them (alongside the Yanks, probably) to handle Iran while they're still under the nuclear treaty... In the name of security. ~_~

But that's me drawing out a fantasy from what Kow and IR wrote about Russia's involvement in the conflict when I asked... 

I don't actually know two fucks.

I do know however, that it's sad to see so many innocent people dying over a G8 impasse...

For a long time, I thought it was a civil war, and little else. But it's really just another bitter chapter in the cold war.
  • Aye, the Syrian civil war is now an all out shameless proxy war with neighboring countries/factions fighting for a foothold. Israel/US, Asad/Russia, the Turks, the Saudi's, IS and whatnot.
    And yeah, civilians will suffer the most.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Some more on the mess that is Essential Consulting LLC (read Cohen and Trump's bribery account, where companies pay "for access to" Trump and his advisors).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/us/politics/michael-cohen-shell-company-payments.html
  • Gosh, that swamp is getting totally drained.... right into Trump's accounts! Bigliest business deals!
  • Russia interfered, Senate concludes.
  • Saw on boing boing that one of the seeming Russian money routes was via the NRA leadership?!
    If so, full lol.
  • I remain optimistic, in that I fail to see how Trump is doing as badly as most Republican Presidents have done in the last 30 years. He's too inept to get anything of significance done, and by that I mean foreign policy and invading some country stuff. He'd be shit at that and knows it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't think he does know it, hence my pessimism
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He would be the best war time president ever. Many people are saying so, and he is surrounded by generals and they would know.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I remain optimistic, in that I fail to see how Trump is doing as badly as most Republican Presidents have done in the last 30 years. He's too inept to get anything of significance done, and by that I mean foreign policy and invading some country stuff. He'd be shit at that and knows it.

He pulled out of the Paris climate agreement. That on its own is probably more harmful than every bad decision made by every Republican president over the past 30 years put together.
  • The Senate has voted to restore net neutrality. Probably won't make it past the House, but this could be something that seriously goes against the Republicans, because it's not a partisan issue for voters.
  • Well certainly no worse then, but I reckon he might.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!