Just completed
  • PSN and so on are quite well stocked for scrolling beat 'em ups, on the quiet.  This one really really really does look hideous though (imo).  I read in a magazine that they're pleased to have achieved the planned 60fps.  Back pats all round.  If you watch videos you'll notice it has a flick-book animation style that means - somehow - it looks even worse in motion.
  • Eric wrote:
    Is this new or is it the one that SEGA took down about 4 yes ago? Either way, the one I played on my laptop with my streetfighter pads it was an incredible effort to pull something as accomplished as that together. Read today in Smith's that an ex Rare dev is making a new scrolling beatem up. It looked swish, hopefully rips off more SOR than the Bouncer and actually turns out to be fun.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/streets_of_rage_remake_v51_second_coming

That other one looks hideous indeed.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • This just popped up in my steam recommendations

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/529000/?snr=1_4_4__128

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Would buy but Theresa May’s appearence put me off.
  • Celeste

This was fantastic, as everyone else has said.  Not just the platforming mechanics, but the way it works together with the simple story. The final stretch in particular is superbly done, and you can’t help but feel elated when you reach the end. A new benchmark in the indie platformer genre, and GOTY so far IMO.

The question now is how much more to attempt. I’ve got nearly all the strawberries other than in the final chapter, and have done 1 B-side. Some of it probably will be too hard for my cackhandedness though (and sometimes I also felt the d-pad wasn’t quite up to the job).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Would buy but Theresa May’s appearence put me off.

Review of the century.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • JonB wrote:
    Celeste This was fantastic, as everyone else has said.  Not just the platforming mechanics, but the way it works together with the simple story. The final stretch in particular is superbly done, and you can’t help but feel elated when you reach the end. A new benchmark in the indie platformer genre, and GOTY so far IMO. The question now is how much more to attempt. I’ve got nearly all the strawberries other than in the final chapter, and have done 1 B-side. Some of it probably will be too hard for my cackhandedness though (and sometimes I also felt the d-pad wasn’t quite up to the job).
    Agree. Hard to believe so few have played it - It's an absolute stunner.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's Wolfenstein 2 done. Killing the fuck out of Nazis is never not fun
  • regmcfly wrote:

I managed to get bored of it very quickly. I didn't like the feeling of the shooting. I'm a fussy bastard
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I managed to get bored of it very quickly. I didn't like the feeling of the shooting. I'm a fussy bastard

Assuming it's roughly the same as W1, it'll be just the right balance of stealth and DOOM-esque brutality.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    CHUCHEL by Amanita Design of Machinarium, Botanicula and Samorost fame

Not really a point and click but an episode a minute kids show where you try and help this angry shit try to steal back a cherry from other shits and it can be quite funny but not particularly puzzly. A few angry posts from cunts on the Steam forum demanding refunds and is the nadir of the studios efforts but really they are the real cunts who can't appreciate actual craft unless it's exactly what they thought they wanted. Fuck off.

It's fun! Seems like a game that'd be quality to play with a young child if you have one or two of those.
  • Djornson wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I loved the first one and certainly had fun with the second (playing to completion and all the DLC) but I agree, something just felt a little bit off with the shooting.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So yeah, God of War (PS4)

Thought it was very good.  Got a bit bored at one point, but it reeled me back in, and there's plenty of post-credit stuff to do.  Production values up the wazoo, suitably ridic story line, real sense of adventure and scale, and decent enough fighting to.  I'm a give it a [9].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    And Line Way (PC).  Nice little puzzler, simple mechanic, not too much content, but nicely paced & laid out.  A generous [8].
  • Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition

Continuing my spree of Metroid games I looked around for something similar and remembered I had this in my "I'll need to live to 342 years old to complete it" pile of shame.

Loved it.  Looks beautiful, fantastic responsive controls, abilities to allow you to travel around the map easily and explore nooks and crannies, great music, and humorous.

Bosses weren't a highlight but they were ok, and the last one was very challenging until you learn the attacks.  Platforming started to get tricky in the last two levels but relatively easy until that point.

So that's another cracking game from the Humble Freedom Bundle that cost me $40.

Can't wait for the second game coming soon.
  • Seek out some of the optional areas if you have time and fancy a steeper challenge. There's some proper tricky platforming in a couple of places in particular that really get you to use the moveset.
  • It looks like I have El Inferno to do and I found the tree tops level yesterday. Had a few minutes and thought “no” - as I had the final boss to get on with.

Will go and have a further play.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Quarantine Circular

Mike Bithell (Thomas on his jack, Volume) made a well designed and well put together 3D text adventure about you being a robot detective interviewing other robots on a transit system between stations about disappearances. It was pretty good on a super low budget. Here's the sequel.

A water-borne plague made worse by global warming and antibiotic resistance has been ravaging the world for a few years and things aren't going well. On board a quarantine ship in the Adriatic is imprisoned the first alien being humanity has ever encountered and you're going to decide if the crew are to believe their offer of a cure or among other choices suspect them of causing this plague in the first place.

As an idea it's not bad and something i'd like to play but it's not executed too well alongside the Circular format from the first game. In that you were on a train that's constantly arriving at different stations. It makes perfect sense new characters would enter and exit routinely and it really worked. Here you're nearly always on the same helipad hashing out the same subjects. What I found worse is that your perspective jumps between characters but often in the same conversation. You can be having a nice, open-heart discussion with the alien one second and then the highly aggressive chief of security barges in and suddenly you're commanding his responses. 

It's really jarring but that might just mean I need to think of it as a story I can tailor rather than any kind of mystery game. Role playing someone in a conversation who knows more than the player does about thing is very strange.

[5]

I'm disappointed but still supportive of him trying new things like this. And it's appropriately priced at less than a fiver.
  • Boo. That's a pity. I'll probably buy it anyway.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah If I get around to a Steam review it'll still be a thumbs up because the price doesn't take the piss and I want to support the idea of these small experimental games. It could help adjust his aim for that true banger.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    It looks like I have El Inferno to do and I found the tree tops level yesterday. Had a few minutes and thought “no” - as I had the final boss to get on with. Will go and have a further play.

Had a further play.  Got 2 orbs, gave up on tree tops, and will need a guide to find the others.  Getting 12 Golds (EDIT: got 7 so far) on El Infierno, yeah right...  I was happy to get the chicken bombs.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence

The original House in Fata Morgana is one of the most affecting tales I've experienced in video games. Filled with raw emotional power and intelligence, dazzling with its complex The Magus-like narrative structure. It understood how to handle both the subtle and the dramatic. I doubt I'll ever get to see the like of it again.

This "companion piece" is of a more straightforward fare, and succeeds because of it. It never tries to be what the original was, but it's made with the same care and reflection, and while it may overindulge a bit from time to time - its highs are remarkable. 

And god. The soundtrack. Even Nier can't match this (from the original):

It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Silke wrote:
    ... one of the most affecting tales I've experienced in video games. Filled with raw emotional power and intelligence, dazzling with its complex The Magus-like narrative structure. It understood how to handle both the subtle and the dramatic. ... This "companion piece" is of a more straightforward fare, and succeeds because of it.

Dunno if you're new, but it sounds like you read EDGE and have swallowed a thesaurus. You'll get on well here. :)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Silke is a badger prose vet mate.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    We must move in different threads. Like ships in the night...
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    It looks like I have El Inferno to do and I found the tree tops level yesterday. Had a few minutes and thought “no” - as I had the final boss to get on with. Will go and have a further play.
    Had a further play.  Got 2 orbs, gave up on tree tops, and will need a guide to find the others.  Getting 12 Golds (EDIT: got 7 so far) on El Infierno, yeah right...  I was happy to get the chicken bombs.
    The Tree Tops was the hardest part IIRC, and certainly frustrated for a while. Doable though, and probably put me in good stead for some of the more exacting sections in Celeste as well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Silke wrote:
    The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence

The original House in Fata Morgana is one of the most affecting tales I've experienced in video games. Filled with raw emotional power and intelligence, dazzling with its complex The Magus-like narrative structure. It understood how to handle both the subtle and the dramatic. I doubt I'll ever get to see the like of it again.

This "companion piece" is of a more straightforward fare, and succeeds because of it. It never tries to be what the original was, but it's made with the same care and reflection, and while it may overindulge a bit from time to time - its highs are remarkable. 

And god. The soundtrack. Even Nier can't match this (from the original):

Steam describes this as a visual novel. What dues that mean exactly? Gameplay choices? Forks? Or a fuzzed story (so book / cartoon / movie)??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!