Han Solo Movie Spoilers
‹ Previous12345
  • Figured I'd set this thread up now to avoid the usual clog of the regular movie thread.  Just home.  

I actually quite enjoyed it.  It didn't further any understanding or anything but as a throwaway piece of Star Wars entertainment, I thought it did a pretty good job.  

In case anyone clicked on the thread by accident........

Presumably there'll be a Darth Maul spinoff/sequel?

Have to say I was surprised by his appearance.  I knew he was about having seen him on the Rebels animated show but really wasn't expecting to be making any appearances on the big screen.  It was weird in fact as at one point during this I was thinking how the new films have rarely alluded to anything from the prequels.  You never hear anyone chatting about Naboo.  And then there he was.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Are you sure it wasn't a cameo from the Insidious demon
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • It certainly might have been. It was late.
  • I enjoyed it as well. The spinoff films are doing a great job of fleshing the universe out but not shitting on the legacy.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yeah not shitting on the legacy is a good point.  I didn't think It added anything new to the universe but at least didn't fuck anything up.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    It was better than I was expecting, but somewhat too long given that they seemed to want to wrap up as many potential loose ends as possible... I would no doubt be criticising them for not having done so if they hadn't though. I found Darth Maul's appearance confusing due to not having watched Rebels. They probably want more people to see it.
  • Abit confused by the Darth Maul apperance. Maul was killed by obi-wan in epsiode 1. However in Solo the Empire exists and so do stormtroopers. They didnt appear till epsiode 3. So how the hell is Darth Maul alive?

I haven't seen the cartooms, i guess they are cannon and explain how Darth Maul survived death at the hands of obi-wan.

Other than that, not too shabby a movie. Main actor playing han solo is a bit wooden.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So now there's a Boba Fett movie confirmed. I expect a Lobot miniseries soon.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Porg movie incoming
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Kow wrote:

Boba Fett! Where?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Abit confused by the Darth Maul apperance. Maul was killed by obi-wan in epsiode 1. However in Solo the Empire exists and so do stormtroopers. They didnt appear till epsiode 3. So how the hell is Darth Maul alive? I haven't seen the cartooms, i guess they are cannon and explain how Darth Maul survived death at the hands of obi-wan. Other than that, not too shabby a movie. Main actor playing han solo is a bit wooden.

It seems quite cheeky to expect people to have watched a TV series to follow plot-points in a film. In my mind, films are the flagships of a franchise and can be referenced in TV series, but not vice versa.
  • I think you are allowed to be confused by his appearance. It was a surprise to me and I've seen the show.  Or bits of it, at least.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Boba Fett! Where?
    Eeeeaahhoooughhh

• Surely that wasn’t Darth Maul? Thought he died in ep1. Ages and ages ago. 

Boba after movie sounds good. Just was wondering what would be next.

Anyway. I thought it was great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember a guy in work years ago telling me he read a SW novel about Boba Fett's adventures while trying to return a frozen Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. He thought it was a rather good yarn.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It was the Maul. Apparently he was rescued from madness and death in the cartoon TV show that aired fairly recently.
    I'm not sure I'm happy with them using stuff from some kids cartoon show as canon but hey ho it happened.

P.s. I know star wars is some kids movie shit.
  • Its been known for a long time that Lucasfilm ballsed up by killing off Darth Maul in Epsiode 1. Easy way to get him back into it albeit confusing anyone who aint seen the cartoons.
  • They ballsed up a million things doesn’t mean they have to will go back on it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was confused by the Darth Maul appearance and I've watched the TV shows. Obviously I knew he wasn't dead but I struggled to piece together what was going on.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • This film sounds trash garbo.

Why does everyone in star wars know/meet errbody else? It's fucking dumb. Have some balls and write more new characters. The fuck is Darth Maul doing anywhere outside Ep. 1!? He got a shitty deal by dying pointlessly at the end but just let it be!!!

I am old and drunk, pls ignore.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Darth Maul is Chewbacca's cousin. And he went to school with Big Muff Tarkin.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Blowba Fud etc.
  • Boba Fett movie will be the point where the goodwill from even the institutionalised fans runs out.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nah man, I'm looking forward to it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Looks like this film is gonna a come in waaayyy under expectations. Too many star war.
  • Nah. It just wasn't necessary. I had zero interest in it until it started to review well.
    Unlike Fett, Han Solo isn't a cypher and didn't need fleshing out.
    But saying that I really enjoyed it.
  • I'd say that Fett has been fleshed out a bit much already. The mystery was a big part of what was cool in the originals
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's really only a question of time until a Jar Jar Binks film is announced.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Nah. It just wasn't necessary. I had zero interest in it until it started to review well.
    Unlike Fett, Han Solo isn't a cypher and didn't need fleshing out.
    But saying that I really enjoyed it.

I meant monetarily btw
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    After the prequels narrowly avoided fucking up Solo's backstory, I don't think they had the latitude to do anything particularly out there with this. So while it's a competent and uncontroversial elaboration of the character's background, it struggles to justify its existence as a movie. It feels like a more natural fit for a comic or novel or something - in fact they literally did the Leia equivalent of this story as a YA novel in the run-up to TLJ.

Also, I just don't think the script was that great. I laughed the same number of times I rolled my eyes (two) and there wasn't much audience reaction in my admittedly sparsely attended IMAX screening. As a drama, I don't think it was that great - towards the end of the film it started to get lost in fuel jargon and continuity nods. I didn't particularly care about the characters.

It doesn't climax very well. There isn't some big 'Han is OT Han now' moment. He doesn't get his big break because he gives up the fuel in an act of altruism that 'spoilers' his future character development. Finally getting the MF feels like an epilogue sequence. I thought it was a good film but I don't think it could have been a great film without a different script.

Rogue One was flawed but it was a mostly original story with a mostly original cast of characters and (for me anyway) it elicited some genuine emotion with a tragic story that had extra interest in the form of evil dudes vying for control of a planet destroying superweapon. Solo has mostly returning characters living out a backstory we all know while fannying about over fuel. It's just not the same.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really think Rogue One is BAD. Like genuinely bad. It's a complete mess.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!