Just completed
  • Your typos are killing me these days Muzz!
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Steam describes this as a visual novel. What dues that mean exactly? Gameplay choices? Forks? Or a fuzzed story (so book / cartoon / movie)??

Some choices, mostly linear progression; reading, listening, watching.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • So its like a novel that you not only read but also watch and listen to? If only they named this genre something obvious.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    It looks like I have El Inferno to do and I found the tree tops level yesterday. Had a few minutes and thought “no” - as I had the final boss to get on with. Will go and have a further play.
    Had a further play.  Got 2 orbs, gave up on tree tops, and will need a guide to find the others.  Getting 12 Golds (EDIT: got 7 so far) on El Infierno, yeah right...  I was happy to get the chicken bombs.
    The Tree Tops was the hardest part IIRC, and certainly frustrated for a while. Doable though, and probably put me in good stead for some of the more exacting sections in Celeste as well.

Grr, you had to mention Celeste.  I'd already decided it was too hard for me.

:-)
  •  

I wrote about Mirror Drop in Currently Playing but I've now completed it. Genuinely one of the best game experiences I've ever had. It's very beautiful, very clever, peaceful, trippy and free.

The mechanics are simple but used very cleverly, the mirrors are part of the puzzle and being disoriented is part of the joy. It's gorgeous and plays to the strengths of ray-tracing, with amazing infinite reflections and clever lighting. It's been a while since a game felt this mind-blowing, Portal was probably the last.

No one seems to be talking about it, which is a shame, it's something very unique.

• It looks nuts.
    It's not a VR game is it? If not I might pick it up.
  • Not VR, no. It's amazing, the trailer doesn't really do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=ijv31oXE83o
  • I was thinking that, it looks very pretty but needs to be played. I'm willing to give it a shot next time I'm looking for something new.
  • I would play it if they release it on something I can play games on.
  • I have a Mac. Don’t think this is out on Mac?

PC scrub.
  • Looks like the kinda game that would give me a headache though!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    So its like a novel that you not only read but also watch and listen to? If only they named this genre something obvious.

Yes cos most novels have "some choices" will done Elf
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Silke is a badger prose vet mate.
    Indeed. Been around these boards a long time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    So its like a novel that you not only read but also watch and listen to? If only they named this genre something obvious.
    Yes cos most novels have "some choices" will done Elf

So it's like a visual Fighting Fantasy novel?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    See if they'd cashed it that I'd a had no questions.

Moot 1 - 0 Elf.

Anyway, Velocity Ultra (Vita)
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is ultra the first or second one?  Expect a grind if the latter.  Dunno about the first as I never finished it,

Not too grindy in the end, was only about 50xp short of one unlock and then I was golden.

But kinda dull ish by the end. Too many levels. Not enough invention or variety, despite the different level types. I really like the main teleport mechanic though, so much thoughts overall. Stingy 6 or generous 7? Probably the latter, just, cos lots of mini game content etc at the end... [7] it is
  • They should definitely have cashed it that.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    See if they'd cashed it that I'd a had no questions. Moot 1 - 0 Elf. Anyway, Velocity Ultra (Vita)
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is ultra the first or second one?  Expect a grind if the latter.  Dunno about the first as I never finished it,
    Not too grindy in the end, was only about 50xp short of one unlock and then I was golden. But kinda dull ish by the end. Too many levels. Not enough invention or variety, despite the different level types. I really like the main teleport mechanic though, so much thoughts overall. Stingy 6 or generous 7? Probably the latter, just, cos lots of mini game content etc at the end... [7] it is

I was so appalled by the grind in no.2 I think I settled on a [4].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's less grindy if you're leet like me m8
  • Firewatch 6.5
    Enjoyable setting, graphically pleasing but a jerky mess. Didn't know what to expect but as far as walking sims go it was fairly enjoyable

Brothers a tale of some sort 7
    Took a while to get my head around the controls once the brothers crossed over each other, but nice set pieces and short enough to do in one sitting without outstaying it's welcome. Pretty good story telling even if I thought I'd selected the wrong language to start with.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    140 (PS4)

I really liked it.  Short, but just did its thing and did it well.  It's got a mirror mode too, though disappointingly this looks to just be a literal mirror mode, with no checkpoints, so not sure I can be arsed.  Still, a comfortable [8].
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Calling this one done now.

An 8-bit Castlevania game in all but name, with some added modern polish and clever use of a multi-character system. The NES style presentation is nicely done, and very evocative of the era, despite its overall smoothness and extra graphical flourishes. The gameplay is mostly familiar Vania stuff, with branching levels and some feisty bosses, while switching between characters adds a strategic element. It's also very clearly geared towards multiple playthroughs, with different play styles emerging depending on how you approach it. I did three different runs in the end, and each time you see how the levels have been intentionally structured to cater for all these styles at once. Even so, I'd had enough of the same stages and bosses by the third go, and didn't really see the incentive to go through all the permutations. As clever as it is, it remains quite basic in the moment to moment gameplay.
  • Shape of the World
    If Proteus is Proteus then this is Prot.
  • Is that a yea or nay?

It looks nice, if it was PSVR I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  • It's a yeanay. 

It can be pretty pretty and the sound is nice but the graphics are very busy to the point of being annoying. They never stay still and everything draws in just in front of you like Turok minus the fog. The creatures are poorly designed and irritating but bonus points for the heavy use of triangles.

It's also super short, which is fine for me but worth mentioning. An hourish.
  • Hmm... might be worth waiting for a sale. Or if I pick up and need something similar. Thanks.
  • On PC, Mirror Drop (above) was a far better trip. For me anyways.
  • Yeah, that looks like it needs hard thought, though. When I'm stoned, I prefer games where I don't have to that much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!