Patches 'n Updates - The fucking horror of it!
‹ Previous12
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's time for a good old fashioned rant. Mother of God, I swear I spend half of my evenings updating games... at least it feels like that. What's the story with these huge monstrous patches? 47.99gb for TESO tonight! Forty Seven Point Fucking Ninty Nine GIGABYTES! That's ludicrous. Even with my line which peaks at around 300mb it's mad, I can only imagine the poor cunts hammering away at 20-30 mb/s.

Last night I said I'd play some State of Decay 2 because I hadn't give it a proper go. Clicked on the icon and up she pops. "Game needs to be updated" - Fuck off it only came out a couple of days ago. Suppose it can't be too bad... Yeah, right. The update was actually LARGER than the original install. The update. The patch. The fucking bits added in the fix shit. Christ...

Last week alone I had to update Path of Exile, PUBG, Monster Hunter and Destiny 2. Fair play to you if you're on a data limit. You'd be fucked in this day and age of constant ballbagging updates. 

Really, is there not a more bandwidth friendly way of deploying patches and updates? It seems to be the developers are just sending out iterated builds of the same game because they're too lazy to patch the games properly and you know, patch them. Like a couple of gigs at the most.

What are other peoples thoughts on this? It's 21:36 now so I can count playing some TESO out. At least State of Decay is updated...
  • I remember getting a patch for Timeshift in like, 2013. Who was updating it? More importantly, why were they updating it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is this an Xbox issue? I get patches on PS4 but don’t really notice such huge updates. 

Caveat that with the fact that my machine is usually on standby with background downloads available (though not sure if updates are included).
  • Yeah it's definitely lazy developers.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Is this an Xbox issue? I get patches on PS4 but don’t really notice such huge updates.  Caveat that with the fact that my machine is usually on standby with background downloads available (though not sure if updates are included).

Yeah I know I could put the machine into super duper power mode and have it downloading shit 24/7 but I don't really like that. No real logical reason, I just prefer switching things off.
  • It drives me nuts, I often have mine update when on standby mode so don’t really notice it to the same extent however there are times when it doesn’t update properly, when I just wanna jump in and have a quick half hour blast and spend so long updating and installing then sitting through loading screens and logging into servers etc that I often give up and just watch Netflix.

I’ve got a 35meg line and ESO has taken 3 hours to download and it’s still only sat at 29%. Fuck sake
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • MS servers may be slow I guess. Lots of people on their boxes downloading while watching E3 mayber.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Is this an Xbox issue? I get patches on PS4 but don’t really notice such huge updates. 

Caveat that with the fact that my machine is usually on standby with background downloads available (though not sure if updates are included).

It is and it's the reason I got rid of my Xbox One. The One downloads updates and installs from the disc at the same time. If the network is slow, so is the disc installation. It's a fucking awful solution.

I found disconnecting from the network and installing just from the disc, then downloading the updates got me in the game sooner - that's no good for online games though.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    MS servers may be slow I guess. Lots of people on their boxes downloading while watching E3 mayber.

I don’t think it is generally though.

I’ve had loads of patches recently inc SOD2 at 20GB and then 5GB and they all download in the time it takes to make a cuppa mostly.

The problem is shitty internet imho.

• Hopefully MS's new version of "Ready to Start" will help to at least make waiting more entertaining.
    Devs have been proper shit with it.

I have ESO on 67% right now but I can't even create my character. Gears 4 downloaded 87% of the campaign, wouldn't let me start, then downloaded all the MP stuff before starting to download the campaign again.
  • EOS is 90gb as well, that is obscene.
    Thing is it will be the first thing to go if I need space, it isn't good if your game is top of the list to be uninstalled.
  • Games with their own sign ins are cunts for it. Oh we could have let you download this gigantic update while in standby, but we need to verify your sign in before offering it to you.

Cunts.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember a patch for Battlefield Vietnam on pc yeeeears ago. It was about 500mb, took me all day to download and I had to put it on a cd to install it.
  • I remember when Sony got hacked and they gave away those games, took about a week to download just one of them.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    MS servers may be slow I guess. Lots of people on their boxes downloading while watching E3 mayber.

I’ve had loads of patches recently inc SOD2 at 20GB and then 5GB and they all download in the time it takes to make a cuppa mostly.

I downloaded ESO in next to no time, and stuff downloads fast on both machines.

Still can't get the PS4 to update when on standby but I've given up on that. No idea what's up with it. It's pretty annoying when I log on and it starts a million updates.
  • I grew to hate Sleeping Dogs on pc. On my 2.5mbps line, 750MB was no joke. And it was only dlc (that I didn’t own) that was being downloaded each time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It robs gaming of its immediacy. That's its biggest crime.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I never had this on my 3DS or my switch :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

I downloaded ESO in next to no time, and stuff downloads fast on both machines.

Still can't get the PS4 to update when on standby but I've given up on that. No idea what's up with it. It's pretty annoying when I log on and it starts a million updates.

My PS4 is quick too. Out of curio, who’s your net provider?

• Nobody knows real pain in this thread unless they had Everybody's Golf World Tour on PS3, and also tried to play it online. Or the Metal Gear Online beta.

*shudders*
  • I still have a copy of GT5 on PS3 I’ve NEVER PLAYED as everytime I put the disc in it tried to start a series of downloads that would take over 3 hours. I took the disc out and played something else
  • I think one of the smartest developments in recent-gen consoles has been to allow downloading while on standby. Overnight updates help mitigate this bullshit, to the point where it never bothers me.
  • Patches have ceased to bother me. I just do something else now, like go to the shops or do a bit of painting.
  • I have a 4mb connection, so it bothers me. Especially when you fancy a quick go on something you haven't played in a while. A bit of Driveclub, you say? Come back in 3 hours mate.
  • I wasn’t saying it shouldn’t bother anyone else, just showing how superior I was to all the plebes.
  • One thing I have noticed is that Xbone background updates only seems to work for games. Apps need to update themselves on launch. Not such a big deal, since apps are relatively small downloads.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message

Virgin. Bar one extended outage a while back its very solid. Xbox, PS4 and Switch downloads and updates are fine. People will experience slower speeds when new games come out, that's to be expected.

I'm wondering if I should try factory resetting my PS4 and seeing if that helps with the auto download issue. It's no problem re-downloading stuff. In fact, I really should try it. Maybe worth a shot for the people that have the same issue on Xbox?
  • @Speedhaak
    Agreed.
    Devs should definitly only patch games and not make you download a whole new fucking build of the game every time an update is needed. 50GB is not unheard of with big AAA titles and is quite a lot of data. The average internet connection would choke on that for at least an evening (5hrs or so?)
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah it's just gone daft recently. I remember playing games on PC in the early to mid 00's and patches would be a few mbs or even kilobytes.

Most of these are bug fixes and optimisations too. Hardly warranting a complete overwrite of the existing install. Meh, doubt it will change though. Seems to be the way of things now.
  • Pretty certain it's because Microsoft and Sony charge them more for patches than a fresh dump of the game.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

Virgin. Bar one extended outage a while back its very solid. Xbox, PS4 and Switch downloads and updates are fine. People will experience slower speeds when new games come out, that's to be expected.

I'm wondering if I should try factory resetting my PS4 and seeing if that helps with the auto download issue. It's no problem re-downloading stuff. In fact, I really should try it. Maybe worth a shot for the people that have the same issue on Xbox?

Ah same. I certainly understand the frustration others have but it does highlight how bad the infrastructure is if you don’t have cable. I can’t see download size and frequency is going to go anywhere but up.

Games are such huge projects nowadays I do feel for devs really. You provide ongoing fixes and support and people can get upset about patches, if you don’t people can get upset because of bugs which I imagine are becoming harder to eradicate pre-launch the bigger and more complicated games get.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!