B&B DnD or P&P RPG, potentially? Apparently Definitely.
‹ Previous123456789
  • 1459259247877.jpg

Hail and well met, fellow badger!

So a while back after some reviewer likened Sea of Thieves to DnD I both baulked at that, and floated the idea of perhaps doing a Pen and Paper RPG over Discord or something similar. I have looked into running one with some pals recently, and I was just going to try and get an idea of if people were interested in this sort of thing, and numbers, scales, preferred systems, experience, the whole deal.

So why would you even want to do this?

Well, DnD and other P&P RPGs are pretty fun. I've played one or two, but I had a lot more fun running a one shot for some pals, and then part of the starter campaign for some other pals. Commitment and time is always an issue, but if you can get stuff rolling and organised it is a blast and there isn't much else like it. You make a character (or run a pre-written) and that means you can play your regular boring RPG protag, or you can make something like a dumb but charismatic half-orc bard who plays the triangle. Similarly, the scope to approach situations is so much broader than you'll ever find in any computer game, the only limits are your imagination and the patience of your DM.

Who can play?

Anyone who isn't a cunt, really. Ideally, you'd be able to commit to weekly or bi-weekly sessions, have access to a laptop or PC with discord, and a microphone on, and a pretty open attitude to actually playing the game. The upper limit would likely be 3-5 badgers plus the DM, though I reckon any more than 4 players would perhaps crowd out voice chat a little too much, depending on the game.

What are we playing?

This is partly where I need input/interest expressed.

There are a lot of DnD and DnD like games out there, so there are a lot of choices. There are many different systems that allow for many different rules and applications of player/DM feedback. Ultimately it comes down to what sort of world you want to play in, and how heavy do you want your Crunch (or mechanics) to be. I am quite an advocate of light mechanics, because no one wants to spend time waiting for people to roll a ton of dice and work out stats, and I also hate power gamers and min/maxers. I could never ever hope to list them all, so here are some:

Dungeons and Dragons 5e - it's DnD! The current system is really geared towards accessibility and expression and is thus light on mechanics. It has the advantage of having a billion resources available, in terms of campaigns and books. The setting currently is the Forgotten Realms, but there are campaigns that take it to different places, like the Curse of Strahd's Gothic setting of Barovia. 

Powered by the Apocalypse - a current favoured alternative to DnD. It has a slightly more expressive system that factors in varying degrees of success which takes a lot of work off the GM, allowing them to focus on the important parts. The most interesting part is that it isn't shackled to a fantasy setting. Its most popular wrapper is Apocalypse World - the post-apocalyptic setting the system was designed for, but there is also Dungeon World (like DnD) The Sprawl (Cyberpunk) Monster of the Week (Think Buffy: the RPG) Monsterhearts (Teen monsters deal with emotions and villains) and more.

Tales from the Loop - A game designed to evoke that Spielberg/Stranger Things style setting, with art by Simon Stlenhag, where you play kids that solve mysteries as well as their own relationships

Mouse Guard - It's DnD but you're mice? Think Redwall, etc 

Numenera - An RPG set 1,000,000,000 years in the future where magic and technology are no longer distinguishable from each other in any meaningful sense. It's mechanically fairly simple, and avoids a lot of the cliches of the DnD style settings. You could probably be a talking shadow of a memory if you wanted?

Call of Cthulhu - does what it says on the tin, an RPG where you investigate all that Cthulhu stuff and, in all probability, die or go mad.

Blades in the Dark - A game set in a Victorian London inspired world of endless night, where you play a bad person who does crimes. It's mechanically very light, which apparently puts a lot of influence on the handful of dice rolling you do end up doing.

More? Other? - You bet, there are bucket loads of them out there, and many of them are totally free, like LANCER a game where you pilot a big mech! There's pretty much an RPG for any flavour, but the above are a small slice of the most common.

Yes but say we pick one, what are we playing?

Good question. Ideally a good P&P RPG starts small and spirals out forever, but we're not at Uni and we have lives so that's harder to manage. Instead, expectations are better. There are a few possibilities.

1. A pre-made one shot. These are pre-written campaigns that last one long or a few small sessions. They're good for a taste and if you love your character you can always keep the sheet and roll them again.
    2. a Tempy written one shot. As above, but I make it.
    3. A pre-made campaign. These are available for games like DnD which has a lot of pre-made campaigns that are utterly full of content. The DnD 5e starter pack is one such example, and it's a really good little box that's totally full of stuff to do and lets you taste a bunch of the typical DnD fare such as: Dungeons! Dragons! Cults! Goblins!
    4. a Tempy written campaign. The same as above but it's a nightmare for me.

Is it free?

Ostensibly... yeah. If I can get good materials on the High Seas it should be largely free. However... as a GM, having a physical copy of THE BOOK is often very helpful, because PDFs are the absolute fuck, so there may be a nominal by in of £3-5 depending on player numbers, and how good the PDFs and so on.

Do you have anything else to add?

Yes! In an indeterminate amount of time, this could be us!

image.jpg?width=400&height=300
  • Holy shit I've never done PnP D&D but by fuck I am well up for this.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One hundo percento in
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No cunts? Ah well.
  • Hello I am interested thank you
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Hope this goes well. It's something i like the idea of trying but i could never commit the time and availability, but hope it works out for you. I look forward to reading the adventures in the thread and wishing i was part of it! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Hope this goes well. It's something i like the idea of trying but i could never commit the time and availability, but hope it works out for you. I look forward to reading the adventures in the thread and wishing i was part of it! ;)
    Same.
  • I am so up for this. Since listening to the Adventure Zone poddo I’ve had a yearning for returning to D&D or Cthulu that I lived in my early teens.

Count me in. I’m also not a cunt.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a group at work who do this at their place, I went round one night to see what it was like and good lord no it isn't for me.

Godspeed chaps.
  • I'd be up for the next one if this one isn't a disaster. Never early adopt, folks.
  • GO NORTH
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’m genuinely excited.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Do you get to dress up?

I'd be up for it, have never done anything like it before and don't even really know how it plays. I might listen to that podcast Gremill mentioned.
  • No one will stop you dressing up.

TAZ is very good also.

If folk are interested, have a read of the OP for the questions. DnD works very well in roll20, and has premades, which is a big advantage. I’ve run Death House and the Mines of Phandelver too, so I am familiar.
  • Also DS i thought you were cool
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I woke up with a massive headache so will read up about the options you mentioned later in the day.

Question about availability though. I know for example that my mom should be here start of September for two weeks. No idea when you want to start it / how long something could go on for, but would something like that be a problem? Not being available for 2-3 weeks. Summer is coming and I'm pretty sure people will go on holidays.

Also just to throw it out there, I could do Tuesdays to Fridays, guess from 9pm till however long it takes. If it's gonna be a weekend thing, I'm out as UK evenings are my afternoons and I can't promise I'll be online.
  • In like a fucking Owlbear.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I used to gm them years ago but now I'm a cunt. Plus I have no time.
  • Nina wrote:
    I woke up with a massive headache so will read up about the options you mentioned later in the day. Question about availability though. I know for example that my mom should be here start of September for two weeks. No idea when you want to start it / how long something could go on for, but would something like that be a problem? Not being available for 2-3 weeks. Summer is coming and I'm pretty sure people will go on holidays. Also just to throw it out there, I could do Tuesdays to Fridays, guess from 9pm till however long it takes. If it's gonna be a weekend thing, I'm out as UK evenings are my afternoons and I can't promise I'll be online.

This is of course a good question. It will depend on the people playing of course, but I will try and enforce some kind of regularity, with some scope for for flexibility because we're all adults. The only time that is off limit to me is during the day, and Sunday evenings.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You basically need a group of lonely unemployed people.
  • It's a lot easier that way.
  • I'd definitely be up for this. Sounds like a great idea.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Also DS i thought you were cool

I am I'm just not pretend I'm a wizard cool
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also DS i thought you were cool

I am I'm just not pretend I'm a chaotic neutral half-elf cleric cool

FTFY
  • Shotgun being Stoph's half-elf, half-cyborg ninja love interest.
  • I want to play, Tempy.
  • I want to play Tempy.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If the party count is getting unmanageable I am happy to be the merchant from RE4.
  • This all sounds a bit 'middle-aged now.. dabbling in S&M'.

Falconhoof would not approve... or would he?
  • Nah, I think this is cool. It's not my scene, but I applaude the effort and enthusiasm behind it and hope it's a success.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm just joking to be clear. Whatever makes people happy without harming others is cool as.
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!