Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well, the accented letter is pretty strong here. Focus of the word.
  • It's the pokey-mon sayers that really annoy me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I say it "poke uh mon", but the accent says it should be "poke aye mon".
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Been finding White 2 a bit grindy and annoying so far, although the game throws some half-decent Pokemon at you after a little bit and it seems to be picking up now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Aren't all Pokémon games grindy?
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah that's kind of their central mechanical turn-off. If the entire system were more like a vs-fighter, it'd be a classic, not to mention ambitious.
  • I find that the first gym requires an hour of grinding vs wild pokes(you need pretty much level 12 pokes and your highest ones are 5 in the wild). After this you can get away with just fighting trainers because you can use type advantage to get you through once you get a better choice.

Also I find its best just to focus on one or two pokes for the first gym because those first ones you enounter are shite and discarded pretty quickly.

What has been annoying is being taught how to use a Pokemon centre/catch a Pokemon again.

• Brooks wrote:
    Yeah that's kind of their central mechanical turn-off. If the entire system were more like a vs-fighter, it'd be a classic, not to mention ambitious.

itd be tricky to implement there are objectively better Pokemon to use in each situation. So if everything was on an even keel powerwise you'd just constantly have people swapping. You could take out the types to balance it a bit but that seems too tied up in the Pokemon DNA to me.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, this is out already then? Worth it if you've never played Black/White? I kinda got stuck on Soul Silver.

Still wish Nintendo would make a card game on the 3DS or Wii(U), I always wanted to collect the cards, but hardly any people playing the game made it useless. That Magic arcade game seems to have some fans, that ps3 game looked interesting, but as it was an uninspired IP it never got to anything, Pokemon should definitely be able to make this into something interesting. Could be quite nice on the WiiU, select cards/deck etc on the tablet, see them fight on the screen.
  • they did make a trading card game back on the gameboy color but it must have sold poorly.
  • I haven't put serious time into a Pokemon game since Diamond - which was the first time I dipped my toe into the series. I have White and Soul Silver which I've barely touched so thinking of going back in. I think Soul Silver might get the nod.
  • I haven't played one since Red!!! It was great, but I get the series hasn't evolved much (pun intended).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I would argue that it has evolved significantly but obviously it has been done in a way to properly balance the game.

The first Pokemon games were good but hideously unbalanced for a number of reasons. You had psychic Pokemon which were weak to only bug (shite) or ghost (who's fundamental attack was demolished by weakness). What we have seen is the correct approach to making new games on a very solid fundamental base of type advantage and collecting Pokemon.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    they did make a trading card game back on the gameboy color but it must have sold poorly.
    No online back in the days, same problem as with the real cards I guess, you'll have to find people to play with. (At least, that would be mine problem with it)

Wonder why they never tried it again, specially now online's here. Main game which has the base pack plus 3 random booster packs for 1200 points, or whatever standards Nintendo use. 400 points for just a booster pack, 800 for 3 booster packs, something like that. Trading digital cards should be an option as well, and the fights should be all Yu-Gi-Oh like, so big arena in the middle, and the desks for your cards could be on the tablet thing (in case of the WiiU. Otherwise you'd had to have a separate screen when both of you were playing cards, then switch to main arena when you're both done).
    I'm really thinking too much about it, but I'd love to play something like this.

Just have to stick with the regular pokemon games for now I guess, will see if regular black/white are cheaper now 2's out.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Reason I was annoyed about grind was because early in the game you don't have much choice of Pokemon and then you have to grind for the early battles and you keep coming across Pokemon that are the same or higher levels than yours and you're all like "Ugh, why am I bothering, I could just catch these" but you don't because you're too sentimental.

Anyhoo, I'm having much more fun with it now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I mean the battles are a lot slower. Like they spend longer rendering the moves and whatnot. It was quite a big slowdown from the ultra fast battles of the gba games. if you haven't played dp its deffo the one to go for out of diamond/pearl/platinum. Unless you like game corner because its the first one where the game corner is missing (a minor niggle).

All sounds OK to me. I think I'll grab Platinum if/when I finish White.
    Raiziel wrote:
    Aren't all Pokémon games grindy?

Sorta. The only one I've completed to date is the original Red. Got bored with Leaf Green. Soul Silver was such a grind-fest I gave up after the second gym. White, however, has mostly been a breeze - I've never had to try a gym more than twice.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nina wrote:
    Hm, this is out already then? Worth it if you've never played Black/White? I kinda got stuck on Soul Silver. Still wish Nintendo would make a card game on the 3DS or Wii(U), I always wanted to collect the cards, but hardly any people playing the game made it useless. That Magic arcade game seems to have some fans, that ps3 game looked interesting, but as it was an uninspired IP it never got to anything, Pokemon should definitely be able to make this into something interesting. Could be quite nice on the WiiU, select cards/deck etc on the tablet, see them fight on the screen.

Yeah I'm also wondering this. I play quite a bit of DS now (exercise bike + DS = fun?) but I'm short of something to play now Advance Wars DC has become TOO DAMN HARD. Everyone says B&W2 is a straight sequel, which is great and all but I wouldn't imagine I'd need to play through 50-100 hours of B&W1... do I?
  • @loxdog

My thinking is that I may as well get B+W1 as it's cheaper and will offer much the same thing, if I want the sequel I can pick it up after.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Black 2 arrived today.
  • @loxdog My thinking is that I may as well get B+W1 as it's cheaper and will offer much the same thing, if I want the sequel I can pick it up after.

Not too much cheaper! Cheapest I've seen for B&W1 is £20 (from PC World). You seen any better deals around? eBay...?
  • Have been checking eBay, it seems to be going for around £16 (inc P+P) on the auctions second hand. Suprised how much it still is really, even though it is a Nintendo game.
  • Have been checking eBay, it seems to be going for around £16 (inc P+P) on the auctions second hand. Suprised how much it still is really, even though it is a Nintendo game.

Thinking it might be a nice Xmas present for someone to buy me then. The thought of the first 5 hours or so excites me in ways that it definitely shouldn't. Grinding 4 lyf
  • OK, B&W2 are really good. Loads of peripheral shit to do that breaks up the grind of trainers and dungeons. I think I played for 2 hours last night and didn't fight a single pokemon.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The controversial history of Pokemon. Nazis and devils and seizures, oh my!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Special Pokemon Nintendo Direct tomorrow! Sounds like big news.

Also, the title of this thread should have the full title of the franchise in it, otherwise it's a bit of a shit to get Firefox to invoke it.
  • If it isn't fully realised Kanto (or alternate area of type) in 3D for WiiU they can shove their news up their vitality sensor.
  • Reboot the games already. For reals.

If it's the rumoured Ruby and Sapphire remakes, I'm out. Bought B&W2, played for a bit but am now completely bored of the set up of these games.

Something new and fresh with 3DS + Wii U functionality and I'm all over this.

Another 40 hour grind quest with dressing up and minigames to break up the endless trainer battles, and I'm done.
  • I stopped after G/S on the Gameboy so I am fully up for more Pokemon (he says but still hasn't bought B/W 1 or 2).

I forgot about all that dress up, parade bollox though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!