Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Nothing obvious that I can see, perhaps I’d need to download it. Which I wouldn’t. Actually there’s a whole list of similar crap, what a shite world.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The ohio 12 District seat looks like its going to the Republican candidate, but by less than 1%. This is a seat the Trump won by 11% and hasn't been a democrat seat for decades. The republicans spent around $6mil while Democrats spent just over $1mil.

Counting isn't over yet but the fact this is so close is very encouraging for the Democrats.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh didn't know this...

But if Democrats do take back the House in November, they can acquire and release Trump’s returns. The law allows for the tax-writing committee of either chamber to request the returns of any American from the IRS, and once they have it, they could distribute it to all the members of the chamber, after which it would almost certainly be released to the public. Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee have introduced measures to do so, but the committee’s Republicans have voted them down each time.

So if this year’s election goes the way it looks like it will, we’ll finally get to see those returns. And then we’ll know what President Trump has been so desperate to hide.
  • I'm not confident that we will get that, but lets stay upbeat eh?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Right now I’d be fairly surprised if Dems didn’t take the house.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh god I hate it when Yoss gets optimistic about votes
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s at least one step between “I’d be surprised if” and actual optimism.
  • It's just not going to happen.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I subscribed to that theory I think I’d genuinely be too depressed to carry on existing.
  • My world continues to spin. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I honestly think the usa is fucked long term. The democrat "blue wave" will be a half-metre swell at best, and 2020 will see a return to GOP control, trump 2nd term c/- gerrymandered districts, another convenient war, a conservative supreme court and a stupid and/or mendacious populace in the electorates that can swing it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t know about that. That Ohio special election that is still too close to call saw the Dems manage to turn out 90% of the people who voted in the last election, while the GOP managed 40%. The Dems have the energy, that should translate into seats.
  • Should.

Lots of things should have happened, but since 2016 it feels like there is a tactical advantage behind the disaffected, conservative, general right wing (including the insane elements). 

There was a sincere argument that a lot of right wing votes were anger from working classes fucked over by automation and the corruption of the GFC and neoliberalism in general, and they perceived the democrats as being responsible. So they voted for the GOP which just happens to have the biggest hard-on for neoliberal myths like trickle down and bootstrap nonsense.

Unless these people have learnt enough tough lessons after voting for trump, I believe there is a good chance they will see the current state of affairs as a necessary hard road before "america is great again" and probably stay the course.

The next democrat candidate is going to have to outdo obama for hype to overcome the systemic issues the usa has.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • So, they got a very high turnout against a low one, and probably still won't win? That doesn't sound encouraging to me.
  • I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But like climate change, I know things are fucked for a long time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So, they got a very high turnout against a low one, and probably still won't win? That doesn't sound encouraging to me.

A very high turnout against a very low one in a seat that the democrats haven’t held since 1983.
  • But my point is that there will be a higher turnout on November and the Democrats have basically nowhere to go up.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They probably won't win that seat, but across all the special elections there has been an average swing to the Democrats of about 16 points. If that continues into the Nov elections they should pick up enough seats to win the house and the Senate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But my point is that there will be a higher turnout on November and the Democrats have basically nowhere to go up.

Eh?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They probably won't win that seat, but across all the special elections there has been an average swing to the Democrats of about 16 points. If that continues into the Nov elections they should pick up enough seats to win the house and the Senate.

The Senate does still seem like a toss-up at best, but the house should be in play.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    But my point is that there will be a higher turnout on November and the Democrats have basically nowhere to go up.

Eh?
    I think he means the Democrats maxed out their vote in this election and didn't win. Any increase in turnout will be for the Rs
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s what I thought, but it’s clearly nonsense which is why I was confused.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, it’s not like the Dems can’t go over 100% of the previous election, is it?
  • Right, so you think the Democrats are going to massively improve the number of votes in a mid term election, over the turnout in a general election? And this will also be enough to counteract the increase in Republican votes that will happen from a special election to a mid-term?
  • What's all this Space Force bollocks?
    If it's Trump's version of Call of Duty in Space it'll surely be a hit with his electoral fanbase.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's a plan to duplicate the work of the Air Force.
  • No jetpacks?
    I'm dissapointed.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Right, so you think the Democrats are going to massively improve the number of votes in a mid term election, over the turnout in a general election? And this will also be enough to counteract the increase in Republican votes that will happen from a special election to a mid-term?

Yes and yes. Turnout for both parties should be down in a special election, the fact that there is such a disparity in how far down each party is certainly points to the chance of both of these things being true.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!