regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes it did. I like that it mixes you battling with catching now as two separate things.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Haven't started my copy yet, as I'm wondering whether to get my 8yo involved from the start. Good to hear that folk are enjoying it.

You can have an Odyssey-style second player so that might be a useful feature for you?
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    We've only done an hour and I don't quite get it yet, but it's fun. Did the joycon flicking to catch Pokémon require battling instead in the old games? Cos there's not much battling in it for a game that I assumed revolved around it.

Yeah, it used to be battling with Pokemon to weaken them. Trainer battles kick off a lot more once you get slightly further in.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My favourite thing in this is how your Pokemon find joy in their lives and in their natural environment, whether that be through Pikachu brimming with happiness at victory in a tough gym battle or your Squirtle dashing off at a glimpse of the ocean to take in all its watery beauty. It's a lovely game that's clearly been specifically crafted to invoke calm and happiness.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Getting a high five from Pikachu is my only goal in life.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've just realised... what Parasect is. My lovely Paras has been consumed by a mushroom, The Last of Us style.
  • Yep. Zombie ant thing is the worst.

• By the way, it’s probably fun saying again now that gen 1 is the flavour of the month but isn’t it weird how they apparently changed butterfeee from being venonats evolution to caterpies!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm very defensive about Gen I but that one decision is super weird, yeah.
  • There are some trash tier 'Mon in there.
    Muk is just big Grimer, Seel is a Seal, Goldeen is a goldfish.
  • By the way, it’s probably fun saying again now that gen 1 is the flavour of the month but isn’t it weird how they apparently changed butterfeee from being venonats evolution to caterpies!
    Huh?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    There are some trash tier 'Mon in there.
    Muk is just big Grimer, Seel is a Seal, Goldeen is a goldfish.

None of them are trash, they are all lovely and beautiful, just sometimes in a way that we cannot as individuals appreciate.
  • To be fair they didn't make a Pokemon out of actual trash bags until gen 5.
  • WorKid wrote:
    By the way, it’s probably fun saying again now that gen 1 is the flavour of the month but isn’t it weird how they apparently changed butterfeee from being venonats evolution to caterpies!
    Huh?

Google the pics.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Haven't started my copy yet, as I'm wondering whether to get my 8yo involved from the start. Good to hear that folk are enjoying it.
    You can have an Odyssey-style second player so that might be a useful feature for you?

It's closer to full co-op than Odyssey.  Player two just controlled cappy in that, iirc, was a bit meh.  In this you can drop in and out with a shake of the second JoyCon and run about with another character.  It seems to make everything pretty easy though, there's doesn't seem to be much (if any) of a difficulty hike.  It's a help mode, really.
  • That could be ideal for my eldest though. A single controller game that I can help with.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: Venomoth/Butterfree, I think it's probably correct that the sprites were drawn the other way around but I think the fuck up came earlier on when they gave the caterpillar evolution line a moth for the final evo. Like thematically the sprites are correct but in the aesthetic details they look like they crossed over.
  • Tilly an I just got an excellent throw apiece on a Metapod, which gave us over six hundred experience points. Everyone immediately levelled up four or five times, which was odd.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How's Tilly taking to it Mootsy? I'm looking for something for Christmas but I think Smash would be more up Nathan's street.
  • I wish there were more Pokemon in this game. It feels like the mechanic that has rare pokes show up needs more Pokemon to make it feel like a fun thing to try every so often.
  • How's Tilly taking to it Mootsy? I'm looking for something for Christmas but I think Smash would be more up Nathan's street.

Last session she was trying to love it, enthusiastic but a bit confused (much like myself). Today's crack at it was more successful, she's got the hang of never using Pikachu and cheering for the Ratatat she replaces him with every battle. It's seriously easy in two player though, at the moment it feels like the experience points boost I mentioned above has broken the balance - enemies are done after one hit from either of us. For co-op I think 4 or 5 might be the sweet spot, for solo kids maybe just old enough to read all the text themselves (7? I'm not too sure on reading ages for children yet).
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I felt really bad about my inability to reciprocate the gifts that everyone has been sending, so I went out into the cold and wind and rain to go get some! Enjoy your gifts everyone!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I feel increasingly tempted to get the Blu-ray anime box set for the complete reliving childhood experience. The only thing putting me off is Black Friday tbh.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I felt really bad about my inability to reciprocate the gifts that everyone has been sending, so I went out into the cold and wind and rain to go get some! Enjoy your gifts everyone!
    I was also running low on gifts after all the new friends so I went out and when I was in the park I found out holidays have started. So much noise and so many kids and mothers.

None of the kids seemed to be playing Pokémon though, I need someone here to trade with for the Celebi quest...
  • Thank you both/all for gifts sent but don't feel like you have to go out of your way, I have a seemingly endless supply of the things to send out so no expectation of reciprocation.

Helps that just walking Clay our usual routes everyday I rack up 19 pokestops and 8 gym spins.
  • Was just watching the BeatEmUps channel on YouTube and the fella just made an interesting point about the ‘new’ catching mechanic. 

He said that the previous system of beating a Pokemon into submission until you can catch and it can’t escape the Pokeball doesn’t really make sense, when you realise that the Pokemon is going to then fight for you in battles. He added that winning Pokemon over with berries so that they want to be captured and fight for you makes more sense. It’s hardly earth shattering, but it hadn’t occurred to me before.

Made me imagine a set of circumstances where you capture a Pokemon in the old style and as soon as you release it, it runs away pissed off that you previously smacked it around.

I do wonder whether they will ever go back to the old system at all.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Gen VIII will also be roaming overworld Pokemon but with the traditional battle-capture mechanics. Although after playing Let's Go I'm not that bothered if they go back provided they revamp the way motion control works.
  • This has got my teenage lad off COD/D2 et al.

The power of Pokemans from when he was tiny! Awww
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • I completed the Pokedex (I feel a bit sorry for the guy who I swapped my Kabutops for a Omanyte)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    In Let's Go, already? Or a previous title?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!