SNES mini
  • What was the N64 game made by the devs that made the first GTA?
    Body Harvest

Same studio making GTA now, they just changed their name.
  • Regarding a N64 mini, I think we only have to look at the systems history on VC to see how slim the pickings are.

For some reason it was criminally under supported, even by companies such as Konami who released a ton on other systems for it.

What's there is literally all Nintendo. The fact that all the Nintendo published RARE games and Pilotwings 64 are missing due to licensing issues really affects things.

Even 'niche gems' like Space Station and Rocket on Wheels I think are in licensing limbo now, and forget about the legendary wrestling games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What's the licensing issue in Pilotwings?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pilotwings64 was developed by Paradigm (same people who did the F1 World grand Prix games) - maybe something to do with that?  I assume they are defunct now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There's also the fact you can do this:

twin.gif

Along with other famous US land marks.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hmmmmm....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Both Snes Mini and Nes mini now out of production. Once stock is gone its gone and you have to buy from ebay etc.
  • So does that mean we finally can have some form of virtual console on switch?

Fuck it, I'll pay the online sub if I get a decent roster of SNES games
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh, not again. I might not buy one or if protest now.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    So does that mean we finally can have some form of virtual console on switch?

Fuck it, I'll pay the online sub if I get a decent roster of SNES games

nes back catalogue, 20 games available so far on switch online. hopefully snes games in future.
  • Yeah, I did the trial and it's not worth it for me. I'm not a big online player but pretty much only 2 games on that list would get played (and yes, they are the 2 super mario games). If there was a selection of good snes titles and maybe some game boy advance stuff as well, I'd be willing to do a year sub.
    SFV - reddave360
  • With regards to modding these, anyone know if I'm right in thinking this:

- SNES games can be added/removed while leaving the original emulator in place and without changing anything else about the system

- In order to add NES/MD/etc. games, you have to flash the OS, replacing the original SNES emulator

- The original OS image can be backed up and restored later
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sounds in line with what I've read. Re: point 2, I believe Retroarch is used to emulate other platforms but it might be able to sit alongside the original shell and SNES emulator.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • If that's right, then I might actually pick up both systems - keep the SNES for Nintendo's amazing SNES emulation and stick a selection of things on the NES.
  • Poking about Amazon, I noticed they're still selling the Bluetooth adaptors for a fiver. Such a bargain I've already bought two despite not owning either Mini.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076B995TL
  • Wait, Nintendo's emulator doesn't run a quarter of the games made? It even has issues with Chrono Trigger? I'd imagined it was bulletproof from the glowing reviews I'd seen.

Might be better off getting a Pi if I'll need to be running SNES9x or something anyway. If only you cold get a decent case with a proper power button.
  • It’s solid for the games they put on it. That’s why the emulation is so good, because they tweaked it for the things on there.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'll check with B once he's awake if you want AJ.

He modded the little NES, and I thought he said at the time it runs the same emulators as the two original systems. It looks the same.
    I know he added gba but I'm not sure what more there is.

What are the issues with Chrono Trigger? I don't know if we have it but I could have a look this weekend.
  • I found a compatibility list that claims it works under a certain profile, so the reports I read might be out of date. Apparently, the most obvious problem is the audio on Lavos' scream.

Thanks for the offer, but I've been poking about and think I've enough info now. Sounds like you can dual/triple boot Retroarch/SNES Canoe/NES Canoe but there's no Canoe (the Nintendo emulator) integration for Retroarch.

The more I look at this, though, the more I think I actually just want the Minis because they're nice little objects. Maybe I'll get a SNES as I don't have one and stick with my OG NES.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    We only got the NES, but it is a nice piece of plastic. Change the controller for anything with a longer wire or wireless though.

B is usually pretty fuzzy with his emulation, and he's happy with whatever he has on the NES.
  • Yeah, it sounds like it's more than capable of top-tier emulation for a lot of stuff. Heard from one place it can even run Mario 64 well.

Since they're basically the same price, I'm wondering whether the NES Mini or Pi is better at it overall as I've been after a little box for all-purpose emulation for a while.
  • AJ wrote:
    Sounds like you can dual/triple boot Retroarch/SNES Canoe/NES Canoe but there's no Canoe (the Nintendo emulator) integration for Retroarch.

God knows how old the information I was going on there was. Everything launches from the default menu system now, which is much better than what I thought was necessary for other emulators: using a RetroArch GUI.
  • Right, I've just ordered one of this because of this deal.

Did we do a list of essential SNES games anywhere?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I bought an 8BitDo N30 2.8G wireless NES controller that ONLY works with the Nintendo mini consoles even though half the point is that they come with authentic controllers and on the one hand it's super cool and much more convenient to use and on the other hand I'm wondering what I'm doing with my life.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I have bought multiple 8bitdo controllers and I don't really use any of them. They're just really nice little things. I got two SFC30s and two receivers before I even knew if I'd buy a SNES Mini. Either a Zero 2 or one of the N64 ones is going to happen next time I'm fruitlessly trying to fill the void in my soul.
  • There's no way I'm buying an N30 though; they look uncomfortable as fuck. Well, I know they will be because my NES pads are.
  • AJ wrote:
    Right, I've just ordered one of this because of this deal.

Gonna download games onto my snes mini, I'm thinking multiple games initially. Mainly as snes mini will go into lounge downstairs so I can get missus involved in side scrolling beat em ups, thinking turtles in time etc.
  • AJ wrote:

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/1246/x/p1
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The top 10 list in that thread and the SNES mini itself are missing Chrono Trigger, which is a must-have. A personal favourite of mine, though, is Terranigma.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!