GOTY 2018 - Let the grumbling begin
‹ Previous123456711
  • ALMOST-USUAL RULES ARE:

Rules (almost) same as my usual stance on these things, see below.

SOFT DEADLINE OF 28 FEBUARY 2019.

Rules/Guidelines/Instructions
    1. List your Top 5 games of the calendar year 2018.  Include a little text to explain why you've voted for a game, if you want.

2. Fewer than 5 games listed will be taken as a Top 4, 2 or whatever.

3. More than 5, and I'll take the first/top 5 only.

4. If not numbered, I'll take the list as ordered in the post in descending order (i.e. goty at top, then 2 etc).

5. Posts that say "in no order" will be ignored - there needs to be an order for pointage! (See below)

6. Points allocated as follows: 10, 7, 4, 2, 1.

7. Game needs to have been released in the UK (or your respective country) [for first time] in calendar year 2018. Or region free. Bit in square brackets is cos a lot of people don’t agree so I’ll not be too fussed if people vote for say Hollow Knight (2017 PC and Mac). It’ll count, cos I can’t be arsed with all the grumbling from people.

8. HD remakes/remasters don't count. But people will probably ignore this anyway.

9. Use following as a broad guideline if you want:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_video_gaming
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Rankings so far:

Slay the Spire = 60pts
    Dead Cells = 44pts
    Celeste = 39pts
    God of War = 38pts
    Into the Breach = 36pts
    Spider-Man = 29pts
    Hollow Knight (2017 really) = 25pts
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate = 24pts
    Forza Horizon 4 = 23pts
    Tetris Effect = 17pts
    Yakuza 6: The Song of Life = 14pts
    Assassin's Creed: Odyssey = 14pts
    GRIS = 13pts
    Hitman 2 = 10pts
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Epilogue) = 10pts
    Rimworld = 10pts
    Return of the Obra Dinn = 9pts
    Red Dead Redemption 2 = 9pts
    Shadow of the Colossus = 7pts
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 = 7pts
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The Torna Exp. = 7pts
    Subnautica = 6pts
    Guacamelee 2 = 5pts
    Ashen = 4pts
    Minit = 4pts
    Monster Hunter World = 4pts
    Pillars of Eternity 2 = 4pts
    SoulCalibur 6 = 4pts
    Spyro Trilogy = 4pts
    Beat Saber = 3pts
    Artifact = 2pts
    Capcom Beat 'em up bundle = 2pts
    Overcooked 2 = 2pts
    Sea of Thieves = 2pts
    Wizard of Legend = 2pts
    Cultist Simulator = 1pts
    Dragonball Fighter Z = 1pts
    Far Cry 5 = 1pts
    Football Manager 2019 = 1pts
    Katamari Damacy = 1pts
    Portal 2 Steam community levels = 1pts
    Super Mario Party Switch = 1pts
    Vermintide 2 = 1pts

Voter so far:

acemuzzy
    AndCallMeCharlie
    b0r1s
    Bob
    Dark Soldier
    digi
    Diluted Dante
    Dogfingers
    Facewon
    hylian_elf
    JonB
    Kow
    LivDiv
    monkey
    Moot_Geeza
    optimark_prime
    poprock
    regmcfly
    Roujin
    SpaceGazelle
    Tempy
    tigerswiftly
    Vela
  • My list so far:

1. God of War
    2. Into the Breach
    3. Tetris Effect (specially in VR)
    4. Return of the Obra Dinn
    5. Forza Horizon 4

Need more time to judge:

Celeste
    Slay the Spire
    Astro Bot
    Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Reserved
  • Reserved
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I vote for Trserved.
  • Actually I’ll go for a coffee
  • Why end of Feb 2019? Surely everyone stsops caring about goty by about Jan 2nd?
  • People care about goty? I thought it was just a laugh/timekiller and, as such, the deadline is really just when elf stops regularly updating it.
  • I vote for Muzzy.

The "guess the random muzzy switch launch game" game a few weeks back was certainly the highlight of the forum in 2018 for me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's MHW because that's what I've played the most.
  • I care about my choices and what some of you lot vote for (and why), but I don't care about an overall order.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    1. Rimworld
    2. Hollow Knight
    3. Dead Cells
    4. Subnautica
    5. Sea of Thieves

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I care about my choices and what some of you lot vote for (and why), but I don't care about an overall order.

Moot gets it.
  • Well I certainly don't care in March.
  • HD remakes/remasters or mere updates of games from a previous year don't count.

No Switch games then eh? ;)

Seriously though I don't think I've played an eligible game this year. It's too easy to pick up cheap hits of yesteryear. Ah the heady days of 2015. They don't make them like that anymore.
  • It’s not been as good a year for me. 2017 was too good it’s unbelievable.
  • Five is too many for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bob's Used Hat Simulator 2019
  • 1. God of war.
    2. Spiderman.
    3. Red dead redemption2.
    4. Beat saber.
    5. Tetris effect.

If SUPERHOT vr was this year replace beat saber and lose tetris effect.

So many other games I coulda done a top 20.
  • Waiting until I play Gris and Smash brehs.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    1. Everdell
    2. KeyForge
    3. Railroad Ink
    4. Cryptid
    5. Spirit Island

Red Dead 6th, FH4 and Sea of Thieves probably 7 or 8 in any order. Spiderman somewhere else in the top 10. Donut County too.

Below may sneak in. Really enjoying it but haven't played enough.
  • Elf is gonna love that list

Keyforge?!?!?!!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    They're my games of the year. Sue me :D
  • I’ve checked the rules, it’s legal
  • I wished there was a Keyforge group near me. I want to play but this kind of game (optimising mathematical word problems) are not something my partner digs.
  • So new Shadow of the Colossus doesn't count?

*flounce*
  • It counts if you vote for it.
  • 5. Vermintide 2
    This was essentially to Vermintide what L4D2 was to L4D. A grand refinement, rather than a total overhaul, but one that proved itself to be more enjoyable after the tweaks. As a dyed in the wool Warhammer nerd it was a lot of fun playing a good licensed game, as they often force out quite a lot of chaff off the back of the brand. Luckily this was full of crunchy first person melee, inventive level design, wonderful AI horde mechanics, a brilliant range of characters each with multiple classes, and a great slew of voice acting. It isn't perfect by any stretch, and its weird levelling up and risk/reward mechanic for gaining anything near decent XP and gold per level was a bit tedious, but overall it was great. Packed full of levels, that were in turn jammed full of secrets - if you could find a break in the tide of Skaven to explore them.

4. Subnautica
    I hate open world survival adventure games, so for Subnautica to hook me is a testament to how fun it is. It really is the freedom and allure of the ocean that makes it so interesting, coupled with some smart early game design that keep things moving along at a decent pace. It really struggles to maintain that momentum all the way to the late game, but luckily the depths you reach are full of enough weird and wonderful biomes that you keep wanting to push further. I'd love for them to expand to it and give me more ocean to explore, but less of those bastards that hang around the rim of the caldera please, my blood pressure can only handle so much

3. God of War

The only AAA game I played this year, but one that I still really enjoyed. It's got all the problems that these games are riddled with: a conflict of intent and impact, a homogeneous set of systems and menus and ideas that refuse to hone down into the real meat of the game, and a combat system that is not quite refined enough to make it worth digging into the higher difficulties (the Japanese still lead the world here). That said, it's grand, epic, sprawling and... hey, a fairly good story. It eschews the massive combat of the previous games to make something more personal, but in the first hour you're still going to be doing things that other games would save for their final chapters. Fighting with your fists and the axe felt claustrophobic, scrappy, and incredibly satisfying, and it's impossible to understate the level of polish in the game, from Atreus involvement in combat, to the overall fidelity of the graphics. I hope for the inevitable sequel they move away from the broadness and give us some focus, but part of me wonders if Kratos hasn't suffered enough - something I wrote about here.

2. Into the Breach

FTL was a masterpiece and I guess people wondered if it was a fluke, given Subset games remained fairly quiet for the next five years. Luckily their return with Into the Breach shows that they spent all that time tinkering with a game system with a watchmaker's eye for detail. Into the Breach is a puzzle game masquerading as a tactical combat game. Your team of Mechs are pitted against Vex assailants, instructed to complete an objective whilst protecting the surrounding civilian buildings. Killing quickly becomes secondary to body blocking damage and shunting enemies around to rearrange events in such a way that you delay rather than destroy. There's rarely a single piece of information that isn't conveyed by its elegant UI, and the short rounds with the ability to cash in an undo mean that you can really explore the possibility space of pulling and shoving and shelling that you are afforded with your team of mechs. As with FTL, it's almost staggering how much they can eke out of such a small set of verbs and ideas, but they pull it off with aplomb and there's hundreds of hours of content here if you want it.

1. Slay the Spire

When me and Jon wrote our Roguelike piece I think Jon asked me to edit down my part about Slay the Spire two or three times. Truth is, it's hard to get across the brilliance of this underwhelming looking game without spewing thousands of words about it. It is elegant, expansive, exciting, puzzling, frustrating, dazzling, spectacular. How the developers managed to get so much out of so little is incredible. Card games are nothing new to gaming, but Slay the Spire feels like the first one that's gone out of its way to really push the boundaries of what you can do with a deck builder and the support of technology. Like Isaac, it revels in the way that all of its many parts - cards, potions and relics - interlock and react to each other in ways that eventually spiral out of control. Like any roguelike, you will have dull runs, but the ones that explode... you'll never forget the first time you pull of a synergy you suspected existed, and you'll spend tens of hours chasing those highs again. Luckily, the daily mode they have included, along with the wealth of options for custom modes, means you can easily toy around with all sorts of crazy combinations to your hearts content. Like the best sandboxes, if you think to yourself that something will work, it very likely will, and there's not much higher praise you can give a game like this. I suspect, like Hollow Knight, this will be a daring on Switch early next year, and it deserves it.

Two Runners Up
    Dead Cells and Artifact are my runners up, simply because Slay the Spire kinda eats into their space a little. Artifact is a stunning piece of games design, and has all the polish you'd expect from Valve, but until I get some more games under my belt I am not sure it's something I am clever enough to appreciate. Dead Cells, well, I love it, but I think Slay the Spire is a far more successful roguelike. I also really wanted to get God of War in there, because as much as it failed to set itself apart from the AAA masses, I do still think about it quite fondly.
‹ Previous123456711

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!