Witness The Fitness
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    So I’m supposed to do one long easy run a week according to Runner’s World.

Ran for 66mins just now and felt like I could just keep going and going. 10km in that time (so about 9kmph) so might either up the pace a bit next time or run for longer or both. 

HIIT once a week apparently. So I did one at lunchtime during work a couple of days ago. Bad idea. No sooner had I had a shower and got dressed, I was drenched in sweat. Was still sweating away at desk half an hour later. Might do that one after work. And some (light) strength training next day.

You using a heart rate monitor? I’d say about an hour at a really comfortable pace is spot on. Little to he gained by arbitrarily upping the pace, unless you’re in a hurry or bored.

I try and base my long slow runs on heart rate. Aiming for ~150bpm (kind of arbitrary but based on my own experience this feels about right).

Here’s one source for how to gauge a decent aerobic heart rate to aim for:

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm on a running roll...

Tuesday - 5k with daughter (admittedly there was much walking involved...)
    Wednesday - 6k jog to work
    Thursday - 3k jog to work
    Friday - 3k jog to work
    Today - 2k jog to, then 22min 5k park run

Thank fuck tomorrow is the day of rest!

Likely to try to keep that going through the rest of Jan to get a good 10k time early Feb, but we'll see. Missing footy and squash and need to with it how to juggle those given the higher risk of injury etc.

And then it'll start getting warmer and no idea what I'll do over the spring/summer ... Probably just golf lol

Nice work muzz.

Did some Parkrun tourism today, down in Stockport visiting in laws so went to the closest one. Was pretty tough due to a long, steep hill that you hit twice. Managed 8th although I was 3rd for about half of it.
  • Don’t have a monitor but treadmill said 146. I’m aiming to keep at around that. Managed to hit over 180 when I did some fast running the other day. Which at almost 40 is supposed to be close to max?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, I seem to max out at about 185, I’m 36. A mate of mine who’s the same age hits 200+ though, so it’s not an exact science.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    So I’m supposed to do one long easy run a week according to Runner’s World.

Ran for 66mins just now and felt like I could just keep going and going. 10km in that time (so about 9kmph) so might either up the pace a bit next time or run for longer or both. 

HIIT once a week apparently. So I did one at lunchtime during work a couple of days ago. Bad idea. No sooner had I had a shower and got dressed, I was drenched in sweat. Was still sweating away at desk half an hour later. Might do that one after work. And some (light) strength training next day.

Have a cool shower, for probably double the time you normally take. That should stop the sweating.

• Heh good idea. Will try that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Did some Parkrun tourism today, down in Stockport visiting in laws so went to the closest one. Was pretty tough due to a long, steep hill that you hit twice. Managed 8th although I was 3rd for about half of it.

Impressive!

I'm always in the 30th-40th range. But definitely felt less tired after it this time than before, which bodes well I guess...
  • Went jogging again today. Kept it absolutely minimal - 10 minutes at very slow pace. This is the year I build up incredibly slowly rather than imagining I'm still a competent runner.

It's just so frustrating. You have all inspired me though, so thank you.
  • I swear creating this thread has been a curse on me. Tough Mudder prices went up, tore my hamstring and now throwing up. Fucks sake.

Spent NYE throwing up too. Got out last night and manages 0.7 miles in 7 minutes before I was shot and walked home. Amazing how just 3 months of troubles can reset you right back to square one.

Going to be a hard road back to April's Half Marathon!

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    YOU CAN DO IT FOLKS!!!
  • Jon Thornton you are a Troll of epic proportions :D

x
  • For giving you kudos?

It was genuine! Hardest bit is getting out mate, and you did that which will always get my respect.
  • Well thanks. Personally I'm disgusted with myself for allowing it to reach this point. :D

Back out tonight to put things right!
  • Take it steady dude, it’ll all come back to you in time.
  • Ok then. I'm sat drinking lager instead...
  • 4 miles in 40 minutes with a 411ft elevation gain.

I'm back.

x
  • I went TK Maxx at lunchtime and bought some tees and joggers woohoo!

They had some compression/running tights but not my size. :(
  • 4 miles in 40 minutes with a 411ft elevation gain.

I'm back.

x

Some canny hills in that there Sheffield. Well done mate.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I went TK Maxx at lunchtime and bought some tees and joggers woohoo! They had some compression/running tights but not my size. :(

Don't forget Lester, he's making some lovely fitness clothes, might be compression but I don't understand

https://fierceedge.com/

Seems he does compression gear as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    4 miles in 40 minutes with a 411ft elevation gain.

I'm back.

x

Some canny hills in that there Sheffield. Well done mate.

I always run in a circuit so that really confused me for a moment thought you were running round an Escher painting
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Signed up to the work gym. £25 for 6mth isn't bad at all, and it's all just been refurbed with new gear.

The road back to playing football starts here. No more shite or fizzy juice. Cut right back on the smokes. Let's go.
  • £25 for 6 months?! Fucking hell. I pay around £35 per month!
  • Exactly, it's £40 for the year!

All yr leg strengthening exercises pls.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right having jogged in on Wed/Thur/Fri last week, jogged home on Monday, and jogged in yesterday & today - I'm finally having a rest day tomorrow.  Thank fuck.

Then the athletics track Friday for either an attempt at a fast 5k, or a slower 10k, or some interval training nonsense.  TBD by how knackered I feel...
  • Exactly, it's £40 for the year!

All yr leg strengthening exercises pls.

Everyday is leg day when you're running away from your problems.

• Now we've finished our house move and my back and shoulder are healed (hopefully!), it's time for me to get back in shape for more than just hill-walking.

No gyms anywhere close to where I live, so decided to build a workshop / gym in the garden. Already looking at silly amounts of free-weights and trying to decide if I can justify a Concept2 rower.

Looks like I'm headed into the rabbit hole again...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I’m losing so much weight doing this stupid postal work. Walking nearly 10 miles a day pushing a huge cart full of parcels as well as the fact that I’m so pushed for time and stressed that I can’t find time to eat during the day.
    Down by a whole stone and I hate it, my face looks too skinny.

I’ve signed up with the gym at my new job starting end of January for only £3 a month. I’ll be in there on the weights at the end of every work day during my training period and as I’ll be largely classroom based for the first few months I’ll be meal prepping like a boss the night before and eating every 2 hours.

Time to pile that weight back on.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Gonna get a heart rate monitor I think. Scosche Rhythm 24 is meant to be an accurate arm band, dont want one across my chest!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!