Best headset for both PS4 and XBox One?
‹ Previous12
  • I might be looking to pick up another headset since my daughter uses my PS4 Gold headset for fortnight. Something that is easy to swap between consoles, that doesn't need faffing about round the back of the consoles with cables etc. Up to and around the £200 mark if necessary.

I'm a sucker for shit like this... https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8019684
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Last I heard, the Astro A50 is the choice of the pro-gamer (that phrase makes me feel slightly ill).

That one is probably a bit outside your budget, but the A40 might be worth a look?
  • I was just looking at the A40, and Argos are doing them for £169 with Anthem thrown in for free. Is Anthem any good?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think a few people here had fun with it, but the general consensus is no.
  • For free it's probably fine
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can you use the Golds on Xbox? Not that I talk to anyone, but could be good for late night gaming if so.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ah of course, now where is the bloody box with cables! Cheers
  • For sub £200 I can't see anything worth getting over the A40's. Think I've seen them at around £150 on Amazon.
  • For sub £200 I can't see anything worth getting over the A40's. Think I've seen them at around £150 on Amazon.

Do they work on both PS4 and Xbox? Do all XBox headsets connect into the 3.5mm jack on the controller? What about the cabling aspect, as I don't want to have to fight a hydra of cables every time I need to swap consoles.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They definitely work on both.

Not sure about the connections, Xbox headphones usually require the headset adaptor to provide volume control and suchlike, but the Astro mixer thing might cover that?
  • I'm reading that the Mixamp PS4 does not provide voice chat on XBox, but then there is the Turtle Beach headset adapter for XBox that might work. Can anyone confirm this?
  • I have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL/dp/B01LE64VO4 Cost me about €50 I think. It's pretty good.
    Yes, I have these (I think it's this version) and they're excellent. Could do with a mute button for the mic but other than that? Cracking.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    I'm reading that the Mixamp PS4 does not provide voice chat on XBox, but then there is the Turtle Beach headset adapter for XBox that might work. Can anyone confirm this?

Aye, the Astro Mixamp's are platform specific. They're pretty damn good at what they do but you don't need one, the standard A40 wired headset is great as it is.

As long as you have an Xbox controller with a 3.5mm jack (June 2015 onwards, you'll need an adapter for early models) it's just a matter of plugging 'em in, voice chat should work just fine.

I think.

Edit: FTR I've never used a MixAmp, always found the console's settings provide more than enough sound and voice options for my use. And I play a lot of online multiplayer games. Like, a lot.
  • Would appreciate any Xbox users with third party headsets confirming the voice chat thing.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    I'm reading that the Mixamp PS4 does not provide voice chat on XBox, but then there is the Turtle Beach headset adapter for XBox that might work. Can anyone confirm this?
    Aye, the Astro Mixamp's are platform specific. They're pretty damn good at what they do but you don't need one, the standard A40 wired headset is great as it is. As long as you have an Xbox controller with a 3.5mm jack (June 2015 onwards, you'll need an adapter for early models) it's just a matter of plugging 'em in, voice chat should work just fine. I think.

That's what I thought, but the Astro Website itself says not compatible with XBox One? You would think it would say "Adapter required" or something. What about the optical cable for the Mixamp? That seems like a lot of fucking about.

I want to be able to move them between consoles as painlessly as possible. What about the Steel Series models, are they any good?
  • Was the "not compatible with Xbox One" thing referring to a headset/MixAmp combo set? 'Cause that would be accurate. If you don't want any added complications, avoid MixAmps.

The standard wired A40 headset should work just fine as is. Plug and go in either console.

Haven't used or even heard anyone use a Steel Series, but they do have a decent rep.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve got a steel series, whatever the wired one is. I like it, but do get complaints about echoing during FNF.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That’s your massive gob mate.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Probably worse in a two person party actually. I don't imagine anyone likes hearing their own voice played back to them that much :D
  • Was the "not compatible with Xbox One" thing referring to a headset/MixAmp combo set? 'Cause that would be accurate. If you don't want any added complications, avoid MixAmps. The standard wired A40 headset should work just fine as is. Plug and go in either console. Haven't used or even heard anyone use a Steel Series, but they do have a decent rep.

What's the deal with Dolby Atmos on the One? I primarily use my PS4 for online gaming, so I could leave the MixAmp connected to that and then just connect the wired headset into my XBox controller and have Atmos surround from that, am  I right?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    Probably worse in a two person party actually. I don't imagine anyone likes hearing their own voice played back to them that much :D
    Cosby wrote:
    Cosby wrote:
    Cosby wrote:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Was the "not compatible with Xbox One" thing referring to a headset/MixAmp combo set? 'Cause that would be accurate. If you don't want any added complications, avoid MixAmps. The standard wired A40 headset should work just fine as is. Plug and go in either console. Haven't used or even heard anyone use a Steel Series, but they do have a decent rep.

What's the deal with Dolby Atmos on the One? I primarily use my PS4 for online gaming, so I could leave the MixAmp connected to that and then just connect the wired headset into my XBox controller and have Atmos surround from that, am  I right?

Dolby through headphones does cost 12 or 15 quid. There is built-in surround for Xbox which is free too.
  • For anyone that has the A40's on PS4, I've just watched the setup video and it says that you have to change the primary audio output to Optical. Does this have to be done every time I want to use them as my primary audio output is HDMI, naturally?
  • Don't use a MixAmp, have no idea. Sorry!

You've got me thinking about getting one though.
  • Don't use a MixAmp, have no idea. Sorry! You've got me thinking about getting one though.

Haha!

It does seem an awful lot of hassle and farting about. I had like the look of the SteelSeries ones but then I read that they don’t do surround sound at all. I’m running short of USB ports as it is on my PS4 and most headsets seem to require a dongle of some sort.

Is there a decent Bluetooth pair that do surround sound and can also use a cable for XBox? I want faff free gaming as much as possible.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Don't use a MixAmp, have no idea. Sorry! You've got me thinking about getting one though.

Haha!

It does seem an awful lot of hassle and farting about. I had like the look of the SteelSeries ones but then I read that they don’t do surround sound at all. I’m running short of USB ports as it is on my PS4 and most headsets seem to require a dongle of some sort.

Is there a decent Bluetooth pair that do surround sound and can also use a cable for XBox? I want faff free gaming as much as possible.

Playstation platinums.
  • digi wrote:
    Playstation platinums.

I’ll take a look, cheers. Do they need a dongle like the Golds?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have golds, with dongle on PC/ps4, and wired to the pad on bone (which sorts both audio and mic) & wiiu.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    digi wrote:
    Playstation platinums.

I’ll take a look, cheers. Do they need a dongle like the Golds?

Yeh they come with one.
    Or you can just use the wire supplied with them, Wich is also how you use them on Bone/pc.

‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!