regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A place where you can (briefly) celebrate those candy games - the games that you buy, blast through, and enjoy, and then never go back to, and to be honest, never really talk about again. 
    It's the adrenaline rush, it's the spectacle, or else it's the sheer dumbness of it. Not memes, not so-bad-it's-good, a real solid game that does what it needs to do, and then never needs to be seen again. 

I'll start with two that stand out to me from this gen. 

Marvel's Spider-Man

This is what inspired me to post this forum, as I was thinking about it - actually, I was thinking about the 'pizza time' moment from the Toby Maguire movie, but it linked me to it. There's so much to admire here, from the core swinging system, to the way the theme music picks up as you do, to the fact that they do a properly decent superhero plot. Yet, unlike Arkham Asylum/City, I don't get the desire to play back through it due to the gameification of it - the ring challenges, the environmental missions. Unlike the backpacks, which provide some very nice links to old games, much akin to Arkham's Riddler Challenges, the stuff around it doesn't quite do it for me. And having a proper Manhattan is nice, but it's not the same as Gotham. That being said, I loved my time blowing through the game and hundo-ing it, even if the last gang fights became a little tedious. A cool game, with a lot of love poured in.

Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor
    Remember when we all thought the Nemesis system would be the next thing in gaming? I loved Shadow of Mordor - I have to say I haven't touched War so I can't comment on it, but Mordor felt like a proper murky middle earth. The levelling system and the Nemesis system, again, although ultimately becoming something very gameified, were concepts that I very much enjoyed, and the way in which they used the Tolkein universe whilst avoiding the overall Hobbit/LOTR plots was very well done. I can barely remember much about the game however, except for those amazing moments when the Orc Nemesis burst in and then said some shit to you. Interestingly, both games I've mentioned use a variation on the Arkham combat system. I could talk about Assassin's Creed in here too, but I think I would revisit those cities.

Anyway, over to you.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gotta be Resident Evil 4 a rollercoaster ride and top of my sheer spectacle games even beating out the more graphically advanced Uncharted games.

I loved every single second but have no desire to taint perfect memories by replaying today.

Did it get 10 of 10? It should if it didn’t.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Gotta be Resident Evil 4 a rollercoaster ride and top of my sheer spectacle games even beating out the more graphically advanced Uncharted games.

I loved every single second but have no desire to taint perfect memories by replaying today.

Did it get 10 of 10? It should if it didn’t.

Can’t wait to play it again on switch
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I can't truck with Resi 4 here as it's a game I would genuinely fire through again if time was unlimited. It's an all time banger.
  • Resi 4 is so replaybale. And people talk about it all the time. Ok, appreciate Boris may not hence it makes the cut for him. 

I can’t think of any off the top of my head. I mean if I really like a game I’m likely to talk about it again. Or at least want to play again even if I actually don’t get the time to do so.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I talk about them all the time, so it doesn't quite fit, but The Last of Us and The Last Guardian. Both games feel almost wrong to play through again, like I would be re-doing a part of my life.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I talk about them all the time, so it doesn't quite fit, but The Last of Us and The Last Guardian. Both games feel almost wrong to play through again, like I would be re-doing a part of my life.

No, that probably fits. I was thinking about Watch Dogs 2 recently too
  • regmcfly wrote:
    never really talk about again.
    I talk about them all the time
  • I suppose most games are like this. It's rarer that I'll go back to something.

In some cases, it's because you can do everything in a single play-through. Like Horizon: ZD, for instance, which I'll almost certainly never play again, but then I went everywhere and saw all it had to offer.

In other cases, it's a one-off experience and even if there's more to find, it's never going to be the same replaying it. Until Dawn, perhaps. I enjoyed it well enough as long as the first run lasted, but there's absolutely no reason to ever look at any of it again after. But with that it's also that you can really see the strings towards the end of the game, so the illusion of choice and consequence is shattered if you go back.

There's another game I'm playing right now for review that will doubtless fit into this category as well. It's well-made but very linear and story-driven, so I can't see any reason to repeat it.
  • Almost everything I've played since the 90s has been a one and done for me, but in the spirit of the thread I'll throw in Sleeping Dogs, Mini Ninjas, Moss, Fight Night Champion, Heavy Rain and A Way Out for retail games.
  • Just went to the top 100 thread (Stu via Cinty) and went through the alphabetical section and the first game on the list that just may fill the criteria is probably Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not one that I would talk about much at all and no real desire to play again.
  • Didn't spot the not talk about it thing, scratch Heavy Rain then. And A Way Out, but nobody listens anyway.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    never really talk about again.
    bunch of games we talk about all the time

• Trudat. I’d still mention Arkham re good batman game or metroidlike etc
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Almost everything I've played since the 90s has been a one and done for me, but in the spirit of the thread I'll throw in Sleeping Dogs, Mini Ninjas, Moss, Fight Night Champion, Heavy Rain and A Way Out for retail games.

Sleeping Dogs is a great shout. Haven't thought about that in ages.
  • Breath of the wild. With the caveat I’ve played the first 15 mins a few times to see the opening panning shot of hyrule
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Almost every game ever for me.
  • Tetris?
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • All games. Never been back to one in any real capacity ever. I just don’t have the time or wherewithal.
  • I haven't played it, but I always thought Dante's Inferno looked interesting, despite mixed reviews, and I haven't seen anyone mention that for years.
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    Tetris?

Touché.
  • Most RPGs, especially things like Persona. I can’t justify playing 80 hours of something I’ve already played again...

But candy games? New Wolfensteins are great run and guns and dones.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tap Tap Fish

vz3HQFC.jpg

Populate your wee aquatic reef by tap-tap-tapping the screen to earn points. That’s it.

Much to my family’s consternation a couple of summers ago, it took over my life for a month.

Ye be warned!

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "fish"?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    They’re dog fish stoopid.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • That is so damn cute!
  • Tap Tap Fish

vz3HQFC.jpg

Ye be warned!

Downloading
  • As folks have mentioned, there's an element of personal preference for how you deal with any game, vs games that suit the OP.

However, in the interests of answering.

Mr shifty. Bing bang boom. Probably designed for some score chasing, Tbh, but it was a brill short ride for me.

See also the usual darlings/is this a games, journey, abzu, rime, and a number of their lesser known pc cousins....

Bokida, aer: memories of old.

And looking at my played to completion since having pc, there's numerous games that had content and mechanics for replay which I had no interest in.

Any and all supergiant games.

I guess I should remove journey as I did talk about it after....

Or if I didn't, I at least had thoughts about it.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Mr. Shifty's great, agree that there's a good score chaser in there but I haven't played it since hitting the credits.

One and done applies to indie games regularly imo, even going back a few years.  Braid was lovely, but has anyone replayed it? (probably a bad example, I haven't though).  Limbo and Inside, any Finchlikes, even Ori - they're one shots for me, even though they're all three pointers (from downtown). We talk about them of course, some of those are belters, but I don't revisit.
  • Yep on all points.

Every indie 2d game fits for me.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That bloody paper clip game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!