Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was prompted to do this after having a massive wave of nostalgia while reading another thread and commenting on a book I used to own as a kid.

My book was Battlestar Galactica: The Photostory - effectively a photo comic of the original 1979 miniseries TV movie. I must have had it when I was round 9 to 10 and it went everywhere with me, I read it and re-read it constantly. It got so battered and creased that I had to sellotape the spine to hold the pages in place. During a move I must have lost it, or it got cleared out by mom. I don't recall when that was, but when I had that massive feeling of nostalgia I went looking and found a copy for a fiver on Amazon. Reading it back just brings back some real happy memories of childhood.

Here's the genius book:

cXH94MG.jpg

aEl6wq5.jpg

s9dPaRl.jpg

So, this is the place to post whatever makes you nostalgic, it could be a book, a game, a comic, a toy that you still have (or have lost to time), anything...
  • Video tapes
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    1379753788.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Are those the B&W sci-fi comics? I used get one a week from the local market.
  • Is this thread named after the Nostalgia and Comics comic shop in Birmingham? Because if so that would be prime nostalgia for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Are those the B&W sci-fi comics? I used get one a week from the local market.

Yeah, they were small little pocket comics, black and white.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Is this thread named after the Nostalgia and Comics comic shop in Birmingham? Because if so that would be prime nostalgia for me.

Yep, exactly that. I was never a big comic fan, but used to go there with mates who were, I'd occasionally pick up a graphic novel if the artwork appealed. It was just a massive investment to get into the comic book thing. One mate had a filing cabinet full worth thousands.
  • Wait wait wait, I used to go nostalgia and comics all the time as well when I was a teenager!

Fucking hell, Saturday morning train into town, go comic shop then go cafe in the old bullring to review our ill gotten gains over a bacon roll.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Where were you living at the time?

I used to go with my mate, I'd end up buying DVD's and CD's at Virgin and HMV, he'd have his stash of comics, then we'd head to Coffee Republic (first time we got into real coffee).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This song immediately transports me back to the school gates with great friends who I haven't ever seen again since 35 years ago, in a town I've never been back to either. Proper nostalgia to the point that I have no way of telling if I even like the song. I think I do.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Wait wait wait, I used to go nostalgia and comics all the time as well when I was a teenager! Fucking hell, Saturday morning train into town, go comic shop then go cafe in the old bullring to review our ill gotten gains over a bacon roll.
    b0r1s wrote:
    Where were you living at the time? I used to go with my mate, I'd end up buying DVD's and CD's at Virgin and HMV, he'd have his stash of comics, then we'd head to Coffee Republic (first time we got into real coffee).
    Yes. Train in on a Saturday (from Leamington or Coventry). Virgin, comic shop, a place that sold import SNES games just up the road. Plus a couple of record shops whose names I can't remember now.
  • I recently bought a tomato shaped ketchup dispenser for work, that takes me back to my childhood every time I look at it.

On twitter recently, Sasusekun spoke about somebody dipping fries in milkshake. That took me back to the caravanning holiday when I dipped chips in hot chocolate, which in turn took me back to sitting at the table in the caravan, playing the Armies of Death Fighting Fantasy book.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I recently bought a tomato shaped ketchup dispenser for work, that takes me back to my childhood every time I look at it.

Yep, always in the market cafe on a Saturday afternoon, loved using it on my bacon and egg sandwich when mom used to take us while shopping.
  • I get nostalgic whenever I see this sort of thing.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRc7Ufpu-3kTPuXh_e_EOQM0BvHIndKQ_BK0ZgXK8x1LYaE3hsU
  • We recently borrowed The Ghost in the Mirror from the library, which was one of those Usborne solve-the-clues adventure stories. Reading it again, some of the solutions strike me as ridiculous, but the nostalgia wallop is there and my daughter is transfixed each time, so it's been lovely to revisit.
  • I still pop into Nostalgia and Comics when I need to get presents for my nephews. Mostly all funko stuff now though. There was a couple of other comic shops back in the day. One just round the corner from N&C, that was just racks and racks of back issues. Used to be about three decent rpg shops as well, even one at the top of the old Virgin. Videogame shops all over the place. Old Brum city centre was a poindexters paradise.

Now there is only Game.
  • I get super nostalgic about Tom & Jerry, specifically VHS collections of them. Had a few that were like Crown jewels to me, watching them over and over.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was the batman animated series VHS that gets me.

511E12VVP7L._SY445_.jpg
  • JonB wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Wait wait wait, I used to go nostalgia and comics all the time as well when I was a teenager! Fucking hell, Saturday morning train into town, go comic shop then go cafe in the old bullring to review our ill gotten gains over a bacon roll.
    b0r1s wrote:
    Where were you living at the time? I used to go with my mate, I'd end up buying DVD's and CD's at Virgin and HMV, he'd have his stash of comics, then we'd head to Coffee Republic (first time we got into real coffee).
    Yes. Train in on a Saturday (from Leamington or Coventry). Virgin, comic shop, a place that sold import SNES games just up the road. Plus a couple of record shops whose names I can't remember now.

Used to get the train in from solihull, used to go to the game shop up the road as well! The one on the underpass that I think eventually became a CEX?

Trip round virgin to see what DVDs were on sale and look at posters was standard.

This was probably 94-99 so I guess maybe we inadvertently crossed paths at some point. Small world!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My comics were Sparky and moved onto 2000AD.

My brother got Whizzer & Chips and then moved onto Spiderman comic. It also had a Godzilla strip in it.

Those were on regular order that my parents got each week along with the Radio Times and TV Times. Think my mother also got Women's Weekly....

There was a shop we used to go to on a Saturday which stocked Marvel comics , the small War comics and also some American pulp sci-fi comics - called Amazing Stories and Creep Worlds etc.

I tend to linger over the 2000AD anthologies in my local Forbidden Planet.  2000AD was a real punch in the gut - there was nothing quite like it - even my Dad read it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Rouj and @JonB I now live between Solihull and Leamington. If you ever feel like reminiscing let me know and I’ll sort a mini-stock :-)
  • Not so convenient now, unfortunately. But my parents are still in the area. Some time when I visit, perhaps.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No probs Jon.
  • images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQU93DgNQiUOCcP-lgkMGx_tT-idWhDNP4_1ycSxPrkyAf1K8LW

img-2383_orig.jpg

A recent buy. These comics came out when I was in junior school and I never got to read all of them. I never knew how Dragon's Claws ended until I randomly found the reprint on amazon. I'm sure my mum threw away the originals because she thought they were too violent for a 9 year old... These bought back memories of the late 80s, Atari ST games, skateboarding and having fuck all to worry about.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I only read three comics as a kid (three types of comic) - Superman to kick it off:

latest?cb=20130613154554

Probably collected those for two or three years.  He's my guy from the superhero types, I thought Man of Steel was legit.  Never liked the Justice League section they started including in the comics after a while though.  Bo-ring.  Then Hero Turtles:

TMHT1.jpg

Obsessed I was.  Comics were mostly shite too, all over the place in terms of consistency.  But they did improve for a decent run when Raphael was wearing a black wrestling suit for a while.  Something to do with a character called Cudley.

Cudley-the-Cowlick.jpg

At some point I got hold of this from Smiths and it blew my mind, best thing of its type ever for me:

61y03LofXXL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then I bought these for a bit:

604639.jpg

and that's my comic journey in full.  

Still got them all in the loft, along with every games mag I ever bought, which is a lot of magazines considering I once bought maybe 6 or 7 different mags in one month to look at screenshots of Sonic 3.
  • Forgot TMHT. Really good kid-friendly comic
  • images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQU93DgNQiUOCcP-lgkMGx_tT-idWhDNP4_1ycSxPrkyAf1K8LW

I loved The Sleeze Brothers. Who wouldn’t? The Blues Brothers in space. Amazing.
  • Crap Moot I had that Turtles comic and you just gave me a major nostalgia tingle.

Here's my contribution. Batman the Movie came out at exactly the right time for me. I was 11 and had recently gotten into reading Batman comics. The movie was a 12 cirtificate and I had to blurt out my well-practiced fake date of birth in order to get in. Needless to say I absolutely bloody loved it.

Immediately began collecting the trading cards, the kind that came with a stick of bubblegum. Well I managed to collect every single card... except one. That card was called Escape from Flaming Death. I only knew that because the previous card mentioned the name of the next card. I was gutted. I of course moved on with my life but always felt a little haunted by that missing card. So a couple of years ago I popped on to ebay and bought that very one for something like 99p. The complete set isn't worth much but that wasn't the point. I think the rest of the cards are in a box somewhere in my parent's attic. But Escape From Flaming Death now sits proudly on my desk. 

2vlo95w.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That made me smile.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bought this a while ago out of pure nostalgia.

deb2e14abe5a58d85c88d6dbe48ad63b.jpg

It plays kind of like if Ludo had a battle mode. You aim to capture other players' men and bring them back to your base. Last man standing wins. But because of the cone shaped tokens you get large towers of cones being moved about  - the owner being the top one - with everyone trying to get at you before you get home.

It's simplistic but a right old laugh especially with 4 or more and with a few cold drinks as it facilitates alliances, back stabbing, ganging up etc which can only be a good thing. I can remember a few hilarious family sessions of this when I was a kid. :)

There are re-releases of this now - with 21C soulless presentation. I had to get the original Spear's version.

I've also procured nostalgia versions of Cluedo and Monopoly - those wooden box releases.

There's a rather natty looking re-release of Escape from Colditz I look the look of but it's unlikely it would ever be played.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nostalgia frenzy today. Dos Dedos Mis Amigos by Pop will eat itself seems to have appeared on Spotify, meaning I get to listen to my favourite album by the first band I saw live on the train home.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!