Nintendo Switch
  • A massive list of EShop games on sale in the UK.

Which website do you get these from?
  • I completely forgot to get Wulverblade and Horizon Chase Turbo :(
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    @jonb Katana Zero update details Sounds interesting, revamped stages bodes well for the next patch too.  Not quite sure exactly what I'm after, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.
    Sounds more like an 8 now. Brevity/lack of replay value was definitely one of the main issues, so yeah this is a good move. Whether I'll actually go back and play it again is another matter. It's a shame this stuff isn't included from the off for that reason.
  • I completely forgot to get Wulverblade and Horizon Chase Turbo :(

FFS Gav, I wanted a second opinion on Wulverblade.
  • JonB wrote:
    @jonb Katana Zero update details Sounds interesting, revamped stages bodes well for the next patch too.  Not quite sure exactly what I'm after, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.
    Sounds more like an 8 now. Brevity/lack of replay value was definitely one of the main issues, so yeah this is a good move. Whether I'll actually go back and play it again is another matter. It's a shame this stuff isn't included from the off for that reason.

Yup.  You've got to review what's in front you you though, but it must feel trickier for some games compared to others.
  • Assasssin's Creed 3 didn't get off to the greatest start as the default settings are too dark to see where to go in the opening tunnel section and you can't invert the y axis and you can't change the options without quitting right out of the game.

Turned the brightness all the way up and everything looks washed out and janky.. decided to not bother quitting out again.

Probably should have gone with Resi 4.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    FFS Gav, I wanted a second opinion on Wulverblade.

Is mine not good enough?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's the first opinion
  • I didn't realise you'd played it.  Which thread/whereabouts?
  • This was my take.  I loved it.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    16. Wulverblade - Switch Bold and beefy scrolling beat 'em up that looks incredible and sounds even better.  Excellent voicework - both characters and narration - and a quality rousing score combine to make one of the best sounding games I've played for ages; it's an absolute treat through headphones.  Gameplay is nothing new, refreshingly (it just pushes the envelope away - fuck you, envelope.  Or maybe it grabs it and stuffs a love letter to the 1990s inside) but the core brawling is good enough for immensely satisfying 'in the zone' mongol roman horde obliteration.  There's a block that doubles as a parry with correct timing plus a dodge and a limited number of attacks (light, heavy with a pick-up, jumping attacks, energy depleting special, grapple throws and grapple hits), which you'll be repeating ad infinitum against various enemy types.  You know the drill - plod through a level and beat the boss using one of the available characters in either single player or co-op while hitting things and trying to stay alive.  Love it or hate it, that's the genre.  It's precisely as deep as it should be, exactly as long as it needs to be, just as tricky as you'd expect - i.e more so than it would've been in 1994 but with the added concession of checkpoints - and far more enjoyable in this day and age than it has any right to be.  Absolutely bloody superb.  Along with Mother Russia Bleeds this gen has treated us to two of the top 5 scrolling beat 'em ups of all time.  [9].

06D59152674FD65C9F8CDD6E4F46AEA114B46F10
  • So did anyone get Steamworld Quest ? It’s got a 9 in Edge.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I have it.

It's good.
  • It’s similar to Spire but not the same ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    So did anyone get Steamworld Quest ? It’s got a 9 in Edge.

Not JonB's review obvs.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I didn't realise you'd played it.  Which thread/whereabouts?

I’ve not done a full write-up, but mentioned that it was enjoyable when you were considering buying it. I really like the art style, and the voice acting is a little stereotypical, but nevertheless charming. I’ve been playing it, on and off, since launch. I need to give it more attention, and get into the correct timings of blocking and attacking, rather than just bashing away. I’m never great at working out boss patterns and how to get around them, so those tend to be a guileless battle of attrition for me. But it’s a great wee package, what with the solid presentation and infused history lesson.
  • I'm pretty sure I changed the controls when I played, assigning roll to a shoulder button, will have a look later.  I didn't use block much at all.  Apparently when it launched there were no checkpoints as you approach a boss, meaning you'd have to do the second half of the stage (and the boss) again each time, Volgarr style.  That would've been infuriating. Retro inspired scrolling beat 'em ups aren't precise enough for this approach imo (whereas Volgarr very much is).
  • Obviously it's going to get hellishly difficult soon, but I'm 38% through FutureGrind and it's genuinely good.  One for @acemuzzy, maybe.  Video explains a lot:

£1.52 at the moment, down from £15.99.  This is absolutely not a budget game, it's a twist on the runner/score attack genre that's been executed very well indeed.  Surely someone wants Unirally meets Trials meets Colour Guardians meets Olli Olli?  

Here's the vid for Gato Roboto I mentioned.  Made for me.  The main character even shares its name with my cat.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Surely someone wants Unirally meets Trials meets Colour Guardians meets Olli Olli?

I bought it with my gold coins and twenty pence.
  • I'm dipping in and out of an infinite runner on the Switch called Chameleon Run which has a similar two colour set up. Quite tricky but Future Grind looks even harder.

I'm one million per cent in for Gato Roboto.
  • Just purchased FutureGrind for 109 pence. At that price even a Moot recommendation can’t go wrong surely.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I've bought and enjoyed a few of the super cheap sale offerings, but in the games-under-£2 category I think it's winning. I've taken my Switch to work to carry on.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I changed the controls when I played, assigning roll to a shoulder button, will have a look later.

Wulverblade again - I changed the controls to 'blocker' apparently, despite favouring the dodge.  Probably because it places block on one of the right side face buttons and I've not got unlimited thumbs, so I prefer to have the more useful roll move assigned to a shoulder button.
  • My attempts to find somewhere to let me review for them Gato Roboto have failed. Tricky when a release date is announced at such short notice. Anyway, I'm potentially up for a purchase if it does well.
  • Took my switch to my dads two weeks ago and introduced my 5 year old nephew to Mario Kart.
    Was his first ever video game experience so I put on all control assists and he bloody loved it.
    We’re there again for a BBQ today and he’s asked his mum to call me to make sure I’m bringing the “racing game” again.

My brother hates me because he now has to buy a switch.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FutureGrind looks pretty hardcore
  • The trailer makes it look harder than it is (or at least harder than it has been thus far).  Only an expert or a moron would play it doing constant flips, it's more about shifting between wheels with precision.  Stages are usually under a minute long.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fortunately it's easily over a tenner on both the platforms I might buy it on
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Here's the vid for Gato Roboto I mentioned.  Made for me.  The main character even shares its name with my cat.

You named your cat "Cat"?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • My wife's name is Catherine.
  • Woooo.. hang on there GDPR and stuff. You can't just go round naming your wife on public forums.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!