Virtua Racing - Switch - Out Now - £5.99 - Go on then
‹ Previous1234
  • Straight up conversion of the arcade game. 3 tracks. 7 gears (optional). Multiple views. Much racing.

Has overall leaderboards, online 2-player and local 8-player modes.

I've only just bought it and am rubbish at it, but it would be good to get some time trial competition going.

Post best times for each track as you get them, and we'll see how it goes.
  • I remember renting this on the Megadrive and it was not a good thing.
  • Imagine if it had cost you £69.99 instead of the £3.50 rental fee.
  • I didn't pay that, btw.  I was far more shrewd - papa moot bagged me the Deluxe version for £49.99 after spreading the cost of a £179.99 add-on from Index.  So I got five tracks and two extra cars.
  • I'd be all over this, I never got to play it much in the arcade due to expense and how quickly it was outdated.
  • There appear to be a fair few permutations for time trialing.

Five laps for the 3 tracks
    20 laps for the 3 tracks
    Both of those in helper mode (opponents are ghosts)
    All of those in manual or automatic gearbox.

Also best lap etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Always like the look of Virtua Racing. The MD version was too ambitious and the Saturn version was outsourced and they ballsed it up.

There was a PS2 redux but they couldn't help trying to update it with the usual cock up.

So - it seems we now have a way to play it as intended with some tiny improvements. The cabinet was 8 way linkup so they have probably just had to massage the code to get it to work in local MP and nice to see some online - though 8 player would have been great.

Another reason for me to get a Switch then.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Handling feels a little bit twitchy for me.

Local arcade had it while I was at college and I must have spent a fortune playing it. Then I spent £70 on the Mega Drive version. A few years back I bought a 32X and Deluxe, which I’ve since sold. I recently purchased the Saturn version, but haven’t played it more than a couple times.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The handling is a bit notorious - the cars tend to fishtail.  I believe the 32X version is the only port that is viable. Never played that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Was quite playable with the stock car.  Looked pretty nice compared to the MD version but not a patch on the loveliness above/in the arcade.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I remember plugging quite a few coins into the four player cab with my mates back in the murky mists of time. Up until that point Outrun had been king. With its four coloured buttons for different viewing angles it felt like a bit of a revelation at the time.

But a lot’s happened since then. Does it still hold up?
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Handling feels a little bit twitchy for me.

The manual says switching handling to the 'Arcade' setting makes it a bit softer.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Back when videogame April Fools jokes were a rarity (or felt that way to me) the Official Sega Magazine ran one about unlocking a minor texture map upgrade to VR Deluxe.  The stock car was replaced by the one from Daytona (in-car bonnet screenshot provided, ofc), as were all the rival vehicles iirc, if you wrote a word out with your car on an square of tarmac hidden off the beaten track in one of the new courses.  It was just about plausible for anyone desperate enough for it to be just about plausible*.  Why else would a giant unused square be hidden up that hill?? Considering the fact that by that point almost everyone who'd boarded the 32X hype train felt, at the very least, a bit miffed - and bearing in mind that the official mag had been doing the majority of the choo-wooing for the previous six months - it stands out as the ultimate games mag arch ubertroll to me.  You know this thing we championed that's approaching obsolete already?  You can make it pretend it's one of the consoles you should've waited for.  Not really! 

*Was it fuck.  Didn't stop me trying to skid out a joined up DAYTONA for absolutely ages.
  • Nowadays it probably holds up better visually than the games that came just after with their low-res textures.

Anyway, it obviously runs very smoothly in this version and the handling makes sense to me for an out and out arcade racer.
  • Seems you need an online subscription just to upload leaderboard times. Bit mean.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's dated very well I think. It looks highly stylised rather than just a primitive mess.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Makes one want Starfox redone.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, I've had an hour this morning and it's pretty good.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yes. That will be my first full download.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Man... Nagoshi's economical use of sound is one of his most underrated skills.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I remember renting this on the Megadrive and it was not a good thing.

A friend of mine from school got a Mega Drive really early, which really helped his popularity. He rode that gravy train for as long as possible, even cracking out his copy of Virtua Racing after me and my brother got a PlayStation for Christmas. It'd didn't help his case.

Still, good versions of Virtua Racing are actually worth playing, so I may investigate this.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Handling feels a little bit twitchy for me.

The manual says switching handling to the 'Arcade' setting makes it a bit softer.

Ah, cool. Thank you.
  • There’s something really nice about two buttons in and you can sort of zone out for a few minutes on something chill.
  • Man... Nagoshi's economical use of sound is one of his most underrated skills.

The music only appearing once you’ve hit a check point is fantastic.
  • Everybody should also do what they can to come first and marvel at the ending.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have this. It's fun. You really need to use the right stick to accelerate and brake though, the non analogue buttons aren't good enough.
  • Looks like I'll have to get this then.
  • Yes
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • JonB wrote:
    Seems you need an online subscription just to upload leaderboard times. Bit mean.

They never quite manage to do it right.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Two player online but eight offline seems like a wee misstep, too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's great to play though. I've just been doing the beginner track over and over, trying to put together error free laps. Got my time to 3.16.41 so far, but 3.15 seems like a good target.

I've kept the handling on Normal as well - seems easier than Arcade.

I guess this reminds of Ridge Racer a bit. Not in handling, obviously, but just in the simplicity and responsiveness, and how easy it is to get into playing for incremental improvements.

There's something to be said for having a small number of tracks to keep your focus. Well, at £6 anyway.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!