The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • i think if i put my fan boy hat on i'd rather they remade the prequels than did new sequels...it's either going to have different characters, so not feel the same, or different people as our old faves, so not feel the same, or they do bring back the original cast, which would be amazing, but i can't see that happening for many reasons.
    whereas the story arc of the rise, fall and redemption of darth vader, despite definitely NOT being in Lucas' original vision, is still potentially interesting, they just really fucked it up with the prequels.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rou - they have flat up said its Episode 7 in 2015. They would shoot themselves in the foot by adding an animated mainline SW film.
  • I think the series is a little bit past caring about the state of it's feet.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • there what you did, i see.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Fuck Plinkett. I can't wait to enjoy Star Wars with my little lad, he already has a drawer full of Star Wars Lego for when he's old enough.

I love Star Wars Lego. Unfortunately I have no reason (as yet, fingers crossed that Caitlin takes an interest in SW) to buy any. Imogen will be getting that Lego Friends girls stuff for Christmas....

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • 5 is superb, 4 is good, 6 is okay. 1, 2 and 3 are dire. Hopes for the new ones are not high.

I read the Admiral Thrawn(?) books many years ago and the stories in those were pretty good. Perhaps they could be a source for the new efforts.
  • There was much talk around the time of Episode 1 being announced that the Thrawn series would actually be 7, 8 and 9.

EDIT: Sorry, to clarify, there was some speculation that Lucas had said that if they were to make 7, 8 and 9 then they would do the Thrawn trilogy. However that was in 1998.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thanks Roujin, I wasn't aware of that.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Rou - they have flat up said its Episode 7 in 2015. They would shoot themselves in the foot by adding an animated mainline SW film.

Absolutely.
  • Yes, going on recent form, the Prequels, Red Tails, Indy 4, the cgi Star Wars films, Lucas will definitely do an awesome job on the new film as creative consultant and it definitely will be exactly what all the fans wanted/predicted/reasonably expected it would contain.
  • the thrawn books are good...i read most of the first batch of extended universe books when they started coming out, though lost interest a bit when it started really expanding (x-wing, young jedi stuff etc)...i basically just followed the 'next exciting adventures of luke and han'...
  • i guess the question regarding Lucas is does 'creative consultant' mean an honorary title but little real input in the thing, or every idea/name/plot hole must come from or be approved by lucas, with the others just trying to prevent the direction and dialogue from being awful...
  • Thrawn basically birthed the expanded universe, before that it has been limited to pen and paper rpgs and games. I think Disney have confirmed already that 7 will be an original story though.
  • In regards to the TV series, I heard that they have written quite a few episodes already and they are just waiting for a way to make it financially possible. However, this would probably mean that Lucas was heavily involved in writing the TV series...

Isn't 2015 also the year Justice League comes out as well?!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Fuck Plinkett. I can't wait to enjoy Star Wars with my little lad, he already has a drawer full of Star Wars Lego for when he's old enough.
    No, fuck the prequels.  Your lad can happily enjoy the first trilogy.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oh he'll certainly be watching those first. Also, all his Lego is the original trilogy. I'm not that crazy.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good good.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think the best way to watch all six is to watch 4,5 and 6 and then consider the 1st three as appendices to delve into if you really get into them -the main problem of course is keeping the reveal in Empire Strikes Back a secret - I was stunned when I saw that at the cinema - no interweb back then to spoil things.

It's a pity we have lost that genuine surprise thing in TV and film now due to internet dicks who can't hold their water and the crap trailers that give everything away.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • you should watch them in the 'Ernst Rinster' order... 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6
    or the 'machete' order...4,5,2,3,6

basically the prequels are watched after the vader reveal in Empire (so it isn't 'spoiled'), as a kind of extended flashback , then you finish on 6.  and it makes the films the story of luke again rather than anakin.  1 is dropped all together in machete order since not much happens in it that isn't covered by the other films. 

more info here: http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    From that, this.  Interested.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just nipping in here to say Star Wars is fucking shite.

Toodle pip.
  • I find his lack of faith disturbing...quick, if we all try to force choke him at the same time....

in a slightly similar vein to skerret's post, has anyone seen the 'phantom edit' version of phantom menace?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    the thrawn books are good...i read most of the first batch of extended universe books when they started coming out, though lost interest a bit when it started really expanding (x-wing, young jedi stuff etc)...i basically just followed the 'next exciting adventures of luke and han'...

The Thrawn series is a good read, but hardly a base for anything epic...

If they (the forces of evi... I mean Disney) do anything, it will have to be based on a script may years in a future beyond Luke/Han/Leia, etc.

Fuck rebooting it though. Please spend that kind of money on something new.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • No "Expanded Universe" noise, make it new and dense and small of scale. No more epic than, say, Blade Runner.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I find his lack of faith disturbing...quick, if we all try to force choke him at the same time.... in a slightly similar vein to skerret's post, has anyone seen the 'phantom edit' version of phantom menace?
    I can only imagine it features Maul and Sidious having a chat and expunges the rest.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    No "Expanded Universe" noise, make it new and dense and small of scale. No more epic than, say, Blade Runner.
    Yerp.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Just nipping in here to say Star Wars is fucking shite. Toodle pip.
    And stay out.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    No "Expanded Universe" noise...
    Yerp.

Thrawn is undoubtedly a badass though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Just nipping in here to say Star Wars is fucking shite. Toodle pip.
    And stay out.

Alreet.
  • I love the chat about how many trilogies.

Lucas:  Look, I made a film about space.
    World:  That's surprisingly good.
    Lucas:  You think?  I might make a follow up.
    World:  Why not.  They always make a follow up.
    Lucas:  Actually, I'll make a TRILOGY.
    World:  Whatever.  People always make trilogies.
    Lucas:  But... I always meant it to be a trilogy.
    World:  Yeah, that's what they always say after the first film does well.
    Lucas:  Actually, it's THREE trilogies!  They don't say that, do they?
    World:  Uh...
    Lucas:  And this is just the begin... No, wait, it's the MIDDLE trilogy!
    World:  What?
    Lucas:  Don't you remember how the film said that it was Episode IV at the start?
    World:  No.
    Lucas:  Well, it did.
    World:  Sure.  So, what are these trilogies going to be about?
    Lucas:  I'm not sure yet.
    World:  But you said...
    Lucas:  I mean, it's a secret!  Yes, that's it. It's a secret.  I'll tell you when I've worked it out.  I mean, when I'm ready.  Yeah, that one.  Now I'm off to make the second one.  It'll be really dark.  You didn't expect that did you?
    World:  Actually, yes.  The second part of a trilogy is naturally dark, according to story telling convention.
    Lucas:  Well, after that they'll all be shit kiddy films, you smart-arses.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!