Ethics and Science Quarantine Zone
  • lol quillette.
    The right wing safe haven where opinion is fact and facts are opinion.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I seem to remember Hambo quoting Quillettte. Good times. Well, times at least.
  • Aah, so that's what happened to Hambo....
  • More quillette, apologies.....

https://twitter.com/mccormick_ted/status/1155641433484877825?s=19

Fine thread by this dude nailing the issues with quillette.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Here's my thread

"Quilette sucks shit"

Bosh.
  • Seriously, who the fuck buys into outlets like quilette and fox news?
    Even if you are a conservative, surely one must be able to see through all the trolling fake news bullshit? Or is it like a cult and people start believing the bullshit they spout the more they repeat it?

Opinion becomes fact and facts get dismissed as opinion. Classic conservative debate tactic (trololol!) if one enjoys that sortof thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Was Hambo a fan of Quillette or am I confusing them with something else?
  • Not sure about hambo but jrpc was a huge quilette fan.
  • Yeah it was JRPC, they brainwashed him
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • If a young, well educated black man says slavery wasn't actually bad, who are we to argue?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Do a bit of a content creator abuse scandal too, get fired from my main channel but still keep a healthy fanbase sending me money on my secondary channel, get retweeted by Donald Trump etc. Just generally be a shithead and have no worries or cares.

Well...

You weren't lying, were you? XD
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Been a fine old lol this morning...

Welcome back to quillette watch....

https://twitter.com/thauma_idesthai/status/1159571925649244160?s=09

They posted an article by a supposed former dsa member.

It screamed fake. Twitter handle created this month, no record on dsa membership list.

They've already taken it down.

Somehow, I haven't seen a *stevebescemi.gif* yet.
  • Christ. Actual retraction up now.

No editors worth a damn. Lol.

• Lol @quilette.
  • “It’s fucking hysterical,” he said, laughing. “I’m not Harry Cherry, but that’s a terrible fucking name.”

Haha, a deep cut
  • https://twitter.com/JeffreyASachs/status/1165989076547321858?s=19

https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.08313

"Auditing Radicalization Pathways on YouTube

Manoel Horta Ribeiro, Raphael Ottoni, Robert West, Virgílio A. F. Almeida, Wagner Meira
    (Submitted on 22 Aug 2019)

Non-profits and the media claim there is a radicalization pipeline on YouTube. Its content creators would sponsor fringe ideas, and its recommender system would steer users towards edgier content. Yet, the supporting evidence for this claim is mostly anecdotal, and there are no proper measurements of the influence of YouTube's recommender system. In this work, we conduct a large scale audit of user radicalization on YouTube. We analyze 331,849 videos of 360 channels which we broadly classify into: control, the Alt-lite, the Intellectual Dark Web (I.D.W.), and the Alt-right ---channels in the I.D.W. and the Alt-lite would be gateways to fringe far-right ideology, here represented by Alt-right channels. Processing more than 79M comments, we show that the three communities increasingly share the same user base; that users consistently migrate from milder to more extreme content; and that a large percentage of users who consume Alt-right content now consumed Alt-lite and I.D.W. content in the past. We also probe YouTube's recommendation algorithm, looking at more than 2M million recommendations for videos and channels between May and July 2019. We find that Alt-lite content is easily reachable from I.D.W. channels via recommendations and that Alt-right channels may be reached from both I.D.W. and Alt-lite channels. Overall, we paint a comprehensive picture of user radicalization on YouTube and provide methods to transparently audit the platform and its recommender system."

Might have some minor quibbles over who's in what column (see pic in Tweet) but this seems solid. Certainly sample size is solid. Seriously. It's super. Some would say superfluous, or silly, or... Fuck it.
  • Did you see the physicist's modelling of RWNJ/extremists?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/22/online-hate-extremism-physics-science
    Johnson’s unusual approach has resulted in some surprising conclusions – he says all online hate globally originates from just 1,000 online “clusters”
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • https://twitter.com/mccormick_ted/status/1170024524433297408?s=19

So skeptic Mag, quillette, areo (edited by one of those folks who did the hoax study sending stuff to various journals) the spectator and a few other spots got duped by a dude.

He was far less obvious than the Archie dsa dude, but still.

Duped in entirely the same way as the journals.

1. It wouldn't be such a big deal if all of the folks in question didn't use previous hoaxes as a stick to beat the humanities with. A little humility would go a long way.

2. They could maybe see that they're as likely to go for stuff because they agree with it as anyone else.

• https://twitter.com/chrisiousity/status/1170041412852867073?s=19

And areo are keeping the articles up, it appears.

Lolololol.
  • Is it surprising though? Little John published an article in one of the papers explaining who the prime minister of England lying is a good thing. Trump is so far over the edge with truth and yet his supporters don't care. Even on a smaller level, when rihanna was beaten up by Chris brown, many of his fans cried false or misrepresentation. Facts aren't important just the side.

I should be fair, I recently found out that Johnny Depp might have been innocent in relation to claims of spousal abuse. I jumped to condem him when that story first came out and didn't even think to check or wait and see.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I should be fair, I recently found out that Johnny Depp might have been innocent in relation to claims of spousal abuse. I jumped to condem him when that story first came out and didn't even think to check or wait and see.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the claims were spurious at best and a massive deflection from the actual shit going down at worst. But that said we only know our own frames of reference, so just because I was exposed to voices calling her a prick from before the accusations and divorce, I just stuck with them. Which is dangerous though, because you can be a dickhead and still be wronged
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the claims were spurious at best and a massive deflection from the actual shit going down at worst. But that said we only know our own frames of reference, so just because I was exposed to voices calling her a prick from before the accusations and divorce, I just stuck with them. Which is dangerous though, because you can be a dickhead and still be wronged

To my shame, I just believed it all and I think because I'm not the biggest fan of Depp it made it easier to believe. I think there is also an inherrant want to believe a victim for most people. I know you've had experience where this could have led to some hassle but I guess I'd find it easier to believe that a man is guilty of hitting his wife than his wife is making stuff up. And this probably correct in 99 percent of instances but there are always the exceptions.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No my own experience doesn't lead me to disbelieve every accuser. It does lead me to think longer before condemning every accused. Also like I said I had no reason to disbelieve Amber other than what I'd heard through certain outlets close to Depp. Just like you believed what you saw, I believed what I saw. Neither is inherently wrong or evil, and you kept enough of an open mind to review that choice so be proud of that, not ashamed of making a decision on the information in front of you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Sorry, didn't mean to imply that your experience coloured your opinion. I phrased that poorly, hope no offence was taken.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    None at all, just figured I'd rather clarify it early, just in case
  • https://twitter.com/colourmeamused_/status/1170744738636394496?s=19

The tl;Dr version is quillette now have a paywalled forum.

The comments are already 8chan lite.

Good times.

• RedDave2 wrote:
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that your experience coloured your opinion. I phrased that poorly, hope no offence was taken.

I don't want to pick on cocko at all here, as I think you've both made yourselves clear enough and made fair enough points, but this seems a weird thing to apologise for.

In the sense that it's basically a mundane truism that all our experiences will colour our opinions, isn't it?

Or have I got wrong end of the stick?
  • Surely it would be fair to say that nobody actually knows what did or didn't go on between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard with regards to both parties claims of domestic abuse? The one may just be as bad as the other for all we know...or then again not, because we're talking about a multimillionaire Hollywood power couple flinging shit at each other in a vain attempt to salvage careers. Frankly, we're never likely to be sure of anything.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!